Coolers and Freezers

nrh6.7

WKR
I have two cow elk tags for WY this season and need a deep freeze for storage. Our big freezer just bit the dust, and while Lowes is having a sale I want to get a freezer bought. How many cubic feet do I need for two cow elk and maybe an antelope or two?

Also, I know the cooler discussion has been kicked around some, but only for one animal. Since I'm an optimistic type, I am planning to fill both tags, but my truck bed can't fit four big coolers with my tool box there already. Anyone have any thoughts on the 400 quart Grizzly? I can pick one up from a guy for $550 and it would save me from having to buy a bunch of smaller coolers for probably more cost than that. Thoughts on the one big cooler idea?

I should add that I don't plan to bone the meat prior to coming home.

On a week long elk hunt I was able to fit one spike elk (four bone in quarters, one bag w/ backstraps, tenderloins, neck etc) we shot the first day, in one of these Bonar insulated PB11 totes. We rotated the meat and ice throughout the week, and it worked great. The dimensions and what not are on this site. Maybe you could compare that to the grizzly you are looking at? With ice and elk- you were not getting anything else in a tote this size. Anyhow- hope that helps?

Scroll down the page to see the specs.
http://www.bonarplastics.com/Products/Polar-Insulated-Fishing-Boxes

Figure on one quart of cooler or freezer space per pound of meat. That comes out to around 30 lbs per cubic foot.

I would go with more midsized coolers than one giant one. Easier to keep stuff cold with less airspace. Less opening and closing, useful for more everyday things.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
On a week long elk hunt I was able to fit one spike elk (four bone in quarters, one bag w/ backstraps, tenderloins, neck etc) we shot the first day, in one of these Bonar insulated PB11 totes. We rotated the meat and ice throughout the week, and it worked great. The dimensions and what not are on this site. Maybe you could compare that to the grizzly you are looking at? With ice and elk- you were not getting anything else in a tote this size. Anyhow- hope that helps?

Scroll down the page to see the specs.
Bonar Insulated Fishing Boxes | Bonar Plastics

Great info, thanks. I do not know if that would be big enough for what I'm after but good to know there are other options.

Figure on one quart of cooler or freezer space per pound of meat. That comes out to around 30 lbs per cubic foot.

I would go with more midsized coolers than one giant one. Easier to keep stuff cold with less airspace. Less opening and closing, useful for more everyday things.

I didn't think to check a cubic foot to poundage ratio, so thanks. I would prefer to go with a more manageable size cooler, but my truck is a short wheel base and I have a 20" tool box to contend with.

When pricing chest freezers, remember to include the cost of running it for the life of the freezer.

I went with this one last year.

Shop GE 10.6-cu ft Chest Freezer (White) ENERGY STAR at Lowes.com

I'll check this one out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've already got two upright freezers in the garage but needed more space so bought a 7cu ft chest freezer and I only put burger in it so I don't need to search for stuff in it. It holds quite a bit for a small freezer.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Thanks for all the input gents. I'm good on the freezer end of things and will be picking one up soon.

Regarding the cooler size, I would really like more thoughts on using one big cooler versus multiple smaller units. I can't find a way to get enough coolers below the price of the 400 Grizzly and still have good ice keeping qualities. I've read claims of up to 19 days of ice retention, and since I will be out for a while thought it could save me trips into town.

4ester

WKR
Thanks for all the input gents. I'm good on the freezer end of things and will be picking one up soon.

Regarding the cooler size, I would really like more thoughts on using one big cooler versus multiple smaller units. I can't find a way to get enough coolers below the price of the 400 Grizzly and still have good ice keeping qualities. I've read claims of up to 19 days of ice retention, and since I will be out for a while thought it could save me trips into town.

I’ve also seen guys throw a chest freezer in the back of the pickup and run off a generator as needed. Can freeze you meat solid for the ride home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer two. Mostly because when they’re too big I can’t load and unload by myself. I’m not buying one bigger than my wingspan. Also you can fill one with ice and the other with gear maximizing space on the drive out.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
I prefer two. Mostly because when they’re too big I can’t load and unload by myself. I’m not buying one bigger than my wingspan. Also you can fill one with ice and the other with gear maximizing space on the drive out.

I'd prefer two too, but the cost is so dang high. Still bouncing it around.

blackdawg

WKR
I have a wonderful large upright and a small chest freezer, we throw the small chest in the back of truck, frozen meals and frozen water jugs on way out, meat on way back, doesn’t really take much generator time to get the job done, surprisingly the insulation on the cheap little chest freezer is rather good. I have half the cost of a yeti with triple the volume of freezer space at close to the same weight and it is working tonight keeping piles of meat frozen. I sometimes wonder how many more trips it has before the final trip to landfill, but it keeps working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Plan to get an upright freezer, but like 5 Mile's idea of a small chest just for ground meat.

Last edited:
Nice, I'm with everyone else here. I have a small chest for burger and an upright for everything else. That way you can use all the space and still find things. I would also go with a couple smaller coolers vs one big one. Easier to load/unload and more flexible. I have never taken a little freezer with, but its a great idea. If you are already bringing a generator makes sense.