Acquiring landowner permission

aboss014

FNG
Hey all just curious to how you go about getting landowner permission.

I’m looking to hunt some public land that is damn near landlocked. I’m a nonresident so going straight to the owners address isn’t an option until we plan to hunt. The only thing I can come up with is an address, no phone numbers...

I’m planning to write a letter and send it. Anything I should add that may help. I’m not looking to hunt the owner’s property, just permission to cross it.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offer a reasonable trespass fee and be willing to sign a "hold harmless" agreement. That should help a lot and just offering that might make a big difference, and they may give it to you w/o either.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would be prepared for a hell no. If only a few owners have access it's often used as an extension of thier private property. If it has limited access be prepared to document how and where you accessed it because you maybe accused of trespassing to access it. Across the west landlocked and mostly land locked parcels are a huge issue. Idaho is pushing a no posting of private land and increased penalty for trespassing. I would guess a letter would be the least effective approach but if it's your only option atlest you'll feel you tried

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yea, knowing what State ,effects it as well. Where in that state and what type of people these land owners are. Are they hunters, hikers, peta lovers etc....

Without you knowing all that, you're in a tough spot.

OP
A

aboss014

FNG
Offer a reasonable trespass fee and be willing to sign a "hold harmless" agreement. That should help a lot and just offering that might make a big difference, and they may give it to you w/o either.

Ah great idea. Didn’t think about the “hold harmless” agreement.

OP
A

aboss014

FNG
I would be prepared for a hell no. If only a few owners have access it's often used as an extension of thier private property. If it has limited access be prepared to document how and where you accessed it because you maybe accused of trespassing to access it. Across the west landlocked and mostly land locked parcels are a huge issue. Idaho is pushing a no posting of private land and increased penalty for trespassing. I would guess a letter would be the least effective approach but if it's your only option atlest you'll feel you tried

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah I understand my odds of gaining access aren’t great. But it’s worth a shot. Yeah I’m a NY resident so going right to the source isn’t an option until I get out there. Yeah I’ve never been to this specific area so I haven’t ever been on this piece of public. We’ll see what happens I suppose. Thanks!

wytx

WKR
When you google put in the name of the nearest small town and a phone may come up. Also look up the landowner info on the county assessor's website and google that contact info. Sometimes it will be a ranch or cattle company name and you'll have to dig online to find the landowners name. It may take a page or two of looking.
Don't be surprised if you get a yes answer, most landowners are not azzes.

mlob1one

WKR
Take a listen to Steve Rinella's Meateater podcast about land owner permissions. It's got some decent tips.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I provide ADC work for cattle ranches in exchange for trespass rights during hunting season. I have the forms, business cards, etc and once ya start knocking down predators for the rancher, they'll refer ya to their friends. Nobody will allow a stranger access to their private property without a measure of trust and control. Writing a letter is a futile waste of time. Provide a tangible benefit. If you open an animal damage control company there are several deductions you can claim.

wytx

WKR
I've hunted many strangers ranches without them knowing me from anyone, show respect when you inquire . Offer some compensation if you can afford it.
The County GIS is the best route to find names, through the assessor's office usually.
Don't be afraid to knock on their door and ask when you get here. Most ranchers are very gracious folks and might surprise you. Asking about predators is a good route to get a foot in the door. I've had ranchers refer me to neighbors once they see your respectful of the land and the landowner. Offer up some day work if they need it, fall is cattle gathering time, maybe you have a day to open gates and help move cattle from pastures to corral. Lots of ways to get access but just asking is the best way.

I've found the earlier you get on it and make phone calls or write letters the better, usually before I apply I look for and line up access. I tell the landowners I know it's early but want to know I have a place to hunt when I get a tag, not run around during the season. Some like the fact you're being proactive, some may say wait and call back closer to the season. Make sure you ask if they want you to get in touch before you come out, some will , some it won't matter.
Don't get discouraged make several calls.
Local diners, cafes and ranch supply stores may have notices posted by ranchers looking for hunters. Look at the bulletin board by the door when you go in. A place in Moorcroft does this and many other smaller towns.

IdahoElk

WKR
As someone that works on a ranch that has problems with trespassers every year I would find another place to hunt.
I'm sure locals know about the same patch of land you seek to hunt and have already ruined the ranchers generosity due to trespassers,poachers and all the drama that typically ensues.
When you shoot an animal that's landlocked chances are it's going to die on private property which will require you to get permission from one or more landowners to trespass,ask nice and sometimes it's all cool,however most hunters/poachers fail to attain permission so now there's lots of drama because a dead animal is involved, you're trespassing, Fish&Game is called, animal is lost,fines are given and you're miserable.
This scenario described above happens year after year on the ranch where I work which is unfortunate for the good people such as yourself.

I would give it a try and ask the landowner well in advance of the season,who knows you may get permission.
Good Luck!

Edit: didn't mean to sound so negative but the way you described this particular piece of property raised a bunch of red flags in my mind.Please report back with what happens.

gbflyer

WKR
Never know the outcome until you try. I'd send a letter, hand addressed. Offer to bring something to the party. Been my experience that a little respect goes a lot further than $$$ with most old school ranchers.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a guy that I met online that brings me fresh salmon every time he comes in the area, he's never asked to cross my property but if he does I will definitely give him permission.

I have/had access to over 20k acres of prime land for late muzzleloader deer in Wa. I was also given a few damage doe tags. I was out scouting land ahead of time in 2014 and looked over some hunt by written permission property that was off the beaten path. I ended up meeting the main farmer's nephew and he directed me to his uncle's place. He called his uncle ahead of time to let him know I was coming over. I introduced myself and simply asked that I was out looking at land to shoot a doe and possibly a buck on and you have a very nice piece of property. He said you can hunt over here for the season. Work one week for me helping my step kids finish building fence and you can hunt wherever you want on all of our property. His step kids weren't worth a crap at building fence and needless to say he offered me a job, but I declined.

Don't be a dick and don't act like a dick. Say pleases and thank you's and don't get in the way of them. Don't go flying down their road.

I've brought peaches and cherries and even a load of wood in exchange for hunting permission before. There's all sorts of tricks you can use to get permission.

Liability is a big reason, believe it or not, for landowners denying access to their property. Some states include a form letter in their hunting regulation book for this purpose.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have much land, 20 acres, but it's on the edge of National Forest land with other private owners on either side of my property. While there is one Forest Service road that leads to a good spot behind my property, the road is unusable at times due to snow and weather and at those times it's far easier to hike across my property to get access than any other alternative. I haven't had anybody ask to cross my property but I have had a number of people that have tried to cross it without asking. Before I owned land that bordered public property I was always jealous of the guys that did, and I suspect that this jealousy is why most people complain about the land owners.

I figure if you don't have the integrity to show respect toward me or my property then why would I allow you access to either? On the other hand, if you have the honesty and integrity to come talk to me I'm more than willing to help out if I can. I'm sure that there are some people that I'd still refuse access to but it would depend upon how they presented themselves, drunk, high, or looking like a bum and I suspect you'll get turned away.

Bigger outfits have a more difficult situation and they are going to be far harder to deal with most likely. They have hundreds or thousands of acres to monitor and they can't do that without cost, it takes money to pay somebody to drive or ride around a property just to check fence lines and hunter camps. And what's more, a lot of hunters don't even realize when they are damaging property because their situational awareness is far different. Shooting at a tree to sight in your rifle may not seem like a big deal to a city dweller that is seeing thousands of acres of trees for the first time but to a land owner, the bullets in that tree might just ruin a saw blade on their saw mill when they are making a barn or some other structure. Changing the condition of a gate doesn't seem like a big deal but to someone running cattle it can mean the loss of thousands of dollars when their cattle wander off their feed, or it can make uninvited people think that they have access to places that they don't. So often I hear hunters say that land owners are just greedy but more often than not the land owner is just reacting to ignorant people that don't have any respect for others. The only way to get on to land that you've been refused access to is to create a personal relationship between you and the land manager/owner. If he gets to know you and he respects the way you handle yourself then he'll probably give you access. That might mean that you will need to offer help working on the property in order to earn permission to use his land, if you are from out of town and you can't get the time to develop this kind of relationship then you might just have to deal with being told no and having to move on.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member

Check the state's regs on offering money and the hold harmless. It was either in the first meat eater podcast or a follow up they talked about, some states already have a hold harmless for permission to hunt but the landowner loses that protection if they take money/goods for it. But after the hunt, you could always just give them a gift.

Check the state's regs on offering money and the hold harmless. It was either in the first meat eater podcast or a follow up they talked about, some states already have a hold harmless for permission to hunt but the landowner loses that protection if they take money/goods for it. But after the hunt, you could always just give them a gift.

Building a good relationship with a landowner is an ongoing activity, not just before hunting or scouting season kicks off. The gift idea is a good thing to keep in mind. If you take a buck or any game animal on someones property you should always consider giving them some nice cuts of meat from your harvest. Maybe a bottle of their favorite adult beverage at Christmas time too. They are being nice to you, so reciprocate and be nice to them too.

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
Letters are more effective than phone calls as initial contact in my experience, people respect a well written letter. Then I typically call to set up a face to face meeting. It’s all how you present yourself, and also a lot of luck haha. I’ve had decent success finding land to hunt.