Another firearms dealer dropping out.

Dunndm

WKR
Never heard of them... Doesn't bother me. Not lik I would be buying from them for sure now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
The one that we shop at has not ever sold firearms/ammo. I didn’t realize they did in other locations. I suppose if that’s their stance, I will be shopping elsewhere for groceries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
For a chain the size of Fred Meyer, $7mil is not that much really. Oh well, still waiting on these snot-nosed kids to start marching in protest of over prescription of psychotropic drugs and a lack of responsibility for their generation's general stupidity. Guess ill be waiting a while.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'd be a little careful about jumping to conclusions. This may not be about gun-negativity at all from Fred Meyer or the parent company Kroger Corp. I know what it looks like....it looks like a form of anti-gun policy. In reality it may just be about eliminating a product category which isn't profitable enough, has too much documentation baggage, isn't competitive for them, and carries perceived risks they choose to eliminate. I'm not agreeing at with them...I just don't know with certainty why they're dropping all firearms. It doesn't appear to be discriminatory to me however. Keep in mind their gun sales had been on a decline anyway.

The last time I looked at Walmart they might as well have not carried guns. Six long guns in a clear display case at the register: that's it. No handguns. I for one think it's only a matter of time until they stop selling guns altogether. Their ammunition selection is paltry and I ignore it. I generally feel almost stupid and ashamed of being seen anywhere in their sporting goods department. Rubber worms, BBs, and Tink's 69...

And finally: I'm completely outraged over one thing. My local Kroger's stopped carrying our favorite yogurt of all time. They just dropped it and didn't give us a reason.

Last edited:
I'd be a little careful about jumping to conclusions. This may not be about gun-negativity at all from Fred Meyer or the parent company Kroger Corp. I know what it looks like....it looks like a form of anti-gun policy. In reality it may just be about eliminating a product category which isn't profitable enough, has too much documentation baggage, isn't competitive for them, and carries perceived risks they choose to eliminate. I'm not agreeing at with them...I just don't know with certainty why they're dropping all firearms. It doesn't appear to be discriminatory to me however. Keep in mind their gun sales had been on a decline anyway.

The last time I looked at Walmart they might as well have not carried guns. Six long guns in a clear display case at the register: that's it. No handguns. I for one think it's only a matter of time until they stop selling guns altogether. Their ammunition selection is paltry and I ignore it. I generally feel almost stupid and ashamed of being seen anywhere in their sporting goods department. Rubber worms, BBs, and Tink's 69...

And finally: I'm completely outraged over one thing. My local Kroger's stopped carrying our favorite yogurt of all time. They just dropped it and didn't give us a reason.

That’s a good perspective. Agreed. Personally, I only buy new guns from small shops. I don’t care much for the big stores like Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. I prefer the small independent gun shops and archery shops where people know what they’re talking about. Every time I do talk to someone in either department at one of the big stores I’m absolutely flabbergasted at the complete and utter lack of knowledge and the level of unadulterated BS that they can shovel. So, while I deplore the anti-gun reaction of some of these stores, and worry about the political symbolism is represents, ultimately a return to traditional gun shops may be a good thing for consumers - maybe they’ll get a little better education.

gbflyer

WKR

Agree. They are smart cookies. The one we shop at had a Walmart Superstore move in on them. They doubled down and did a huge store expansion. In a couple of years, Walmart pulled out and Freddie's is swamped with customers. They have also survived Costco.

I've never bought a gun there. I have bought some cleaning supplies and maybe a case or two. Pretty hard when no one mans the gun counter. I'd imagine the real estate in the store will be far more valuable with something else.

BluMtn

WKR
I guess I have missed something. We don't have one locally, but the ones I have been into I never noticed that they sold firearms.

tttoadman

WKR
I think Kevin hit this one. We have supported Fred Meyers for years as a local store chain. They have since been bought out by Krogers(long time ago), but anything to fight Walmart I am all for. I did buy a pocket knife there once.

My take, any retailer that markets to outdoorsman caves to the anti gun propaganda can suffer the consequences of those actions and rely on the crunchy Liberal hikers to float their boat financially. Id think most would agree Hunters are spending far more than your average Starbucks sipping Liberal who hikes the 2 mile loop once a month with a 5500 cubic inch pack in case you get stranded a half mile out from the trail head. Its their right to not sell guns of course just as its our right to stop patronizing them for their stance. I mean, i havent had a Starbucks in years due to their views and its not like i dont still drink great coffee. If they continue to flourish as a business great for them they just wont get my money. If their business ultimately fails as a result of their decisions, so be it.

Most of the Fred Meyer stores I've been to (all in Alaska) have a sporting goods department which only covers the very basics. It's not like you can find a Sage fly rod, Western Mountaineering bag, or Swaro binocs in them. Better than Walmart but anemic compared to Sportsman's Warehouse. That's because FM is more about being Kroger's version of Walmart. They sell lots of clothing, jewelry, electronics, home goods and etc. Don't go there to shop hard for sporting goods, but do go there if you need a cheap something-or-other you forgot. Think Coleman and Fruit of the Loom. I personally have zero interest in their gun sales and don't think the company worries much about selling them either.

I'll still be shopping there on my annual moose hunt. Great groceries and enough other stuff to keep me coming back. Anything but Walmart. Here where I live we basically have 3 grocery choices: Walmart, Kroger and a hope-they-have-it second tier grocer. I 100% always go to Kroger because they have a great grocery selection and I don't have to fight the hordes of overweight junk-food buyers going through Wally at a snail's pace.

sneaky

"DADDY"

Which yogurt?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Private Selection. All flavors. Apparently it wasn't profitable, but we yogurt-nuts don't take lightly to them discontinuing it anyway.
My boss' daughter works where they make it. We can get it for $0.10 apiece lol. Too bad you're on the other side of the country.

My boss' daughter works where they make it. We can get it for $0.10 apiece lol. Too bad you're on the other side of the country.

Bummer, lol. I shoot whitetail deer completely free of charge right here on my farm. Who needs Kroger anyway? ;)

My take, any retailer that markets to outdoorsman caves to the anti gun propaganda can suffer the consequences of those actions and rely on the crunchy Liberal hikers to float their boat financially. Id think most would agree Hunters are spending far more than your average Starbucks sipping Liberal who hikes the 2 mile loop once a month with a 5500 cubic inch pack in case you get stranded a half mile out from the trail head. Its their right to not sell guns of course just as its our right to stop patronizing them for their stance. I mean, i havent had a Starbucks in years due to their views and its not like i dont still drink great coffee. If they continue to flourish as a business great for them they just wont get my money. If their business ultimately fails as a result of their decisions, so be it.

None of these type stores even com close to “relying” on hunters to survive and many (probably most) don’t give a good darn about the politics involved - they’ll go wherever they can find what they need at a price they can afford, period. Most sporting good chains don’t rely on hunting or even shooting sports to survive. Hunters only comprise a small percentage of their client base and while they don’t mind the business if they can get it, they will absolutely NOT risk offending the other other client bases to support one small group. Heck, I can’t blame them. Principles are great if you can afford to have them, when it comes to your business; but sometimes you can’t afford them and your responsibility to your familyshareholders/employees/etc, and putting food on their tables come first. It’s real easy, on the internet, to have principles with other people’s businesses and money. Lol.

I think many hunters have an over-inflated sense of how much they contribute, financially, to some of these stores. Particularly in states where hunting seasons are pretty limited in duration; compared, say, to a state like Texas or Florida, where hunting is available year-round. I’m pretty sure those libtard hippy snowflakes account for a far larger proportion of overall sales, at a typical sporting goods store like Dicks, Academy, REI, etc, than do hunters. A quick look at the Fred Meyer webpage, and the fact it’s owned by Kroger’s grocery stores makes it pretty obvious that their business has little to anything to do with hunting or hunters. I can’t understand why anyone would care about a grocery store deciding they don’t want to sell guns or ammo any more. Big deal. They probably put a big hurt on some local mom and pop gun stores when they began selling guns by using their enormous capital base to undercut prices and corner the market. I’ll bet that didn’t bother anyone that saved $50 on their Remington 700 BDL. Lol. Now, the sky is falling because they don’t want to sell guns next to the organic wheatgrass section. *rolleyes*

The states where most of those stores are located are part of the Left Coast and have fully capitulated to the progressive left. With the SLIGHT exception for Alaska. Very slight. If I was forced to live in the communist states of Oregon or Washington I think I’d have a lot bigger things to worry about than whether I can pick up a box of ammo with some strawberries and a carton of cream. Lol. I don’t expect anything less than that from a store based up there. I’d be more worried about the climate change that’s made this decision by Kroger a solid business decision. This is less about the company than about the politics of communities these stores serve.

sneaky

"DADDY"
None of these type stores even com close to “relying” on hunters to survive and many (probably most) don’t give a good darn about the politics involved - they’ll go wherever they can find what they need at a price they can afford, period. Most sporting good chains don’t rely on hunting or even shooting sports to survive. Hunters only comprise a small percentage of their client base and while they don’t mind the business if they can get it, they will absolutely NOT risk offending the other other client bases to support one small group. Heck, I can’t blame them. Principles are great if you can afford to have them, when it comes to your business; but sometimes you can’t afford them and your responsibility to your familyshareholders/employees/etc, and putting food on their tables come first. It’s real easy, on the internet, to have principles with other people’s businesses and money. Lol.

I think many hunters have an over-inflated sense of how much they contribute, financially, to some of these stores. Particularly in states where hunting seasons are pretty limited in duration; compared, say, to a state like Texas or Florida, where hunting is available year-round. I’m pretty sure those libtard hippy snowflakes account for a far larger proportion of overall sales, at a typical sporting goods store like Dicks, Academy, REI, etc, than do hunters. A quick look at the Fred Meyer webpage, and the fact it’s owned by Kroger’s grocery stores makes it pretty obvious that their business has little to anything to do with hunting or hunters. I can’t understand why anyone would care about a grocery store deciding they don’t want to sell guns or ammo any more. Big deal. They probably put a big hurt on some local mom and pop gun stores when they began selling guns by using their enormous capital base to undercut prices and corner the market. I’ll bet that didn’t bother anyone that saved $50 on their Remington 700 BDL. Lol. Now, the sky is falling because they don’t want to sell guns next to the organic wheatgrass section. *rolleyes*

The states where most of those stores are located are part of the Left Coast and have fully capitulated to the progressive left. With the SLIGHT exception for Alaska. Very slight. If I was forced to live in the communist states of Oregon or Washington I think I’d have a lot bigger things to worry about than whether I can pick up a box of ammo with some strawberries and a carton of cream. Lol. I don’t expect anything less than that from a store based up there. I’d be more worried about the climate change that’s made this decision by Kroger a solid business decision. This is less about the company than about the politics of communities these stores serve.

If you truly had a clue as to the make-up of the population of the "communist" states of Oregon and Washington, you would know that the "communists" are located in Portland and Seattle metro areas, and a good portion of the remainder of the states are conservative and have very little in common with their urban counterparts. But, alas, you're from Texas and Texans love nothing more than disparaging any state that isn't Texas.

tttoadman

WKR
It would be nice to read posts that don't have a bunch of name calling and insults attached. There are many different political views. Not everyone with Liberal views is a "libtard". Nothing said means much when it is accompanied by insults like calling all of us Oregonians communists. Expressing your opinion on a forum needs to be like letter writing to that Contractor that is screwing you. Write from the gut at 5:00PM...at 8:00AM the next day, you take all the swear words and insults out and you are good to go. Rokslide comes up very quickly with an internet search for a hot topic. Do you really want someone undecided on how they feel about gun laws to come here and see these kinds of comments?