Another firearms dealer dropping out.

EastMT

WKR
I have kind of a split opinion on the box stores bailing. Nice to have the extra place to shop and a place to hide while my wife is shopping, but maybe all these box stores dumping guns and ammo will help the little gun shops stay around. Nice to have a relationship with your dealer instead of a checker that changes nonstop anyway.

CorbLand

WKR
Am I the only one that would prefer stores make this decision versus the Government passing regulations and laws making it for them?

Is there such a difference between refusing to shop at a store because of their stance on guns, which seems widely accepted here on rokslide, and refusing to buy something made in Vietnam, which seems to make one a bad person (a long thread in the backpack forum)? Personally, I’m all for choosing where to spend my money based on how a store or country lines up with my core beliefs, but the wind seems to blow two different directions on this one for some reason. Apologies for highjacking the thread.

EastMT

WKR
If I spent all my time aligning my purchase habits with my political beliefs, I would likely be driving a horse who's likely a vegetarian, eating MRE's, wearing 1980's army fatigues and combat boots, shooting my old 30-30. Some of these hippy companies have some sweet stuff! I apologize if anyone is offended, but I'm using what's best for me in the back country no mater who or where it's made. Heck my Chevy is probably from Mexico.

None of this will matter in 50 years. Everything will be bought from a single place, and that place will be called AMAZON. That is Bezos' goal and he is getting closer to it every day.

Broomd

WKR
When we moved to Alaska in 1997, the first thing I did was drive to Fairbanks Fred Meyer and buy a Smith and Wesson 629 Mountain gun in .44 mag.
This loss is a big deal, when folks lose these retailers they ain't coming back. It's not about convenience, it's about a mindset of the normalcy of owning and convenient legal purchase of guns.

I also remember walking into the Payless Drug Store in Fairbanks and buying two Ruger M77 rifles (.300 wm, 7mm mag) and another handgun when that store was going out of business. It was very common.

If you truly had a clue as to the make-up of the population of the "communist" states of Oregon and Washington, you would know that the "communists" are located in Portland and Seattle metro areas, and a good portion of the remainder of the states are conservative and have very little in common with their urban counterparts. But, alas, you're from Texas and Texans love nothing more than disparaging any state that isn't Texas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Disagree with both of you. Texas wasn’t like Oklahoma in which had zero blue counties. We have 28 million people in Texas with lots voting solely off a promise for the best government assistance programs being offered.

In the end I’m glad a private business has the ability to sell what they want or don’t. I find the restrictions on age ironic, but then again maybe the cake people won.

I do have a clue what’s in OR and Washington out side the population centers, and thats damn good people that hold personal and private rights very high, which include constitutional rights. Some of my best buds live in north west.

Let the discount Fred Myers types of the world give their market share back to local specialty stores, God knows all ma and pops speciality stores need it.

Yes bushy we have long seasons in Texas, yes Texas sportsman have some of the highest days in the field in the country but don’t discount states like Montana and Idaho that have exceptional percentages of hunters as part of the population. On top of that many Washington, Idaho, OR, Wy, and Montana guys hunt more then one state. So really days In the field probably even out. No different if a Texan hunts Whitetails in Stx and Hill country or panhandle or exotics Etc.

End of the day, who cares about Fred Myers,it’s a private company don’t like them don’t buy from them. With that said I doubt it’s really politically motivated. Probably just a market adjustment, with a marketing twist. It’s not like they are REI and droping entire non gun products due to who owns those companies. That’s a true political statement

Last edited: