Changes to your 2018 system

OP
mfllood3800
I'm in same boat
I didn't list everything
Some stuff was a change as much as it was a basic upgrade.
Like pouches, battery packs, gloves, socks, sos device

Lol
I just listed the major items that hopefully will impact the hunt
For the better

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Mystery ranch pintler from horn hunter full curl ...big difference

New klymit ultralight insulated... replaced last years that had a leak at valve stem piece

North face furnace 0* from outdoors 0* cheapo

Mountainsmith lt from a cabelas 1 man bivioic A frame more room bout same weight

Sitka dew point from cabelas goretex rain jacket few years old

Found different more accurate factory loads for rifle

Soto micro from esbit block fuel stove or fire

Tripod adapter for binos +++++ big differences

Couple new clothes pieces

CorbLand

WKR
Not a ton of changes for me.

Looking at getting a floorless shelter. Haven’t decided yet.

Looking at getting a canvas tent for elk hunting.

Setting up a muzzleloader in anticipation of an elk tag this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pop up 28 replacing my woodsman as my daypack that can haul meat.

Swapped out my Petzel for a fenix headlamp.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I will be setting up a new muzzloader this year, I won a CVA accura, need to get a scope for it and bullets etc. may try that blackhorn 209 out, not sure yet. I reckon it's about time i upgrade from the older than dirt knight wolverine lol.

other than that, i am still acquiring stuff to do my out west hunts. cant decide what shelter, need a rangfeinder and binos too, oh and a bino harness also

So far I've invested in a Kifaru Lost Park Parka, after experiencing 4th season in CO for the first time. Next, I'm going to try the newish Sitka Ascent pants for August - September in CO. Finally, my brother and law and I will be investing in a wall tent for rifle season here. We can't bring our 5th wheel/bumper pulls onto some roads we would like to go down.

KBC

WKR
I am going to try and upgrade my results and finally shoot something big this year. I've only been hunting for a few years now and haven't had any success bigger than grouse. Spring bear starts soon though!

FlyGuy

WKR
I didn't think I had made too many changes for 2018 until I started thinking about it...

Sleep System

Added a (used) Super Tarp w/ annex a few months ago, just spent the 1st night in it last night. Looking forward to having this with me for solo Spike Camping in September. I currently run a cylinder stove, but I've been thinking about going with the Lite Outdoors stove this Fall.

Just bought a Sea-to-summit comfort plus pad last week and used it for the 1st time last night too. Way more comfortable and way less noisy than my Thermarest. Just ordered their inflatable pillow a couple hours ago to try out too, I have been struggling in that department.

Weapons

Added a new rifle in January, 1st one I've bought in nearly 30 years! CA Ridgeline in 300WSM, Nightforce NXS 5.5x22. For kicks I Grabbed a Javelin Bipod for it (thanks Rokslide!). Will be picking up a suppressor for it pretty soon, narrowed down to two. I also Added a 480 Ruger Alaskan with Kenai chest holster, 1st hunt in Grizzly country coming up in about 2 months.

Thought I would upgrade from my 2016 Halon to the Triax this year, but I haven't had time to even look at one yet. I am absolutely Going to make some changes with my arrow set up. Ran the GT Pierce last season. Great shooting but super frustrating. Undecided on next arrow but maybe the new FMJ or some Black Eagle...?

Also thinking about getting away from a wrist rocket style release. I don't know a damn thing about what "type" I want (back tension, hinge, thumb?). the only thing I know for sure is that - after I have clipped my release into my D-loop, I want to still be able to use my right hand to operate my rangefinder without unclipping and then having to reattach.

Optics:

Probably no changes this year. I upgraded my bino's last year from Vortex to (used) swaro EL 8x32. I want to upgrade my spotter along the same lines but I can't justify it since I never carry the damn thing hunting elk in the timber. I think I will look at the SLC 15's or the EL 12's in the next year or two, I just need to draw the right tag to properly incentivise me. I'm not a huge fan of my Silk Tripod either, so I would upgrade that at the same time.

I've got the sig2200 RF and I like it pretty good, just wish it had a little tighter reticle/beam. I could pick up one of those nikon RF's that everyone is talking about if I can get my hands on one to play with.

Other:

Added the Zebralight Headlamp, man that thing is awesome. replaced my spot.

Dropping the Sawyer Squeeze and going to the SteriPEN this year. I've been resistant, but I finally broke down. I couldn't remember to put the damn Sawyer in my bag at night and it froze on me about a half dozen times in WY. I also found the bags they include with it are damn near impossible to fill up in the field and that was a pain. Haven't used the PEN yet, but with the included nalgene filter cap to get the solids out, I'm starting to get on board now. Looks super fast and very convenient.

Went back to my AGC Bino Harness after running the Muley Freak for a season. Didn't hate it, but I put on the AGC again a month or so ago and it just felt right.

Clothing is pretty dialed in, but I just ordered a pair of Pnuma Tenacity Pants to try out. I make a few hunts in WTX each year and the cactus out there just destroys my sitka/Eddie Bauer/Prana pants. Hoping these will do the trick.

I think that's about it. If I could just stay off this website I might stay satisfied with what I already have!

Fitzwho

WKR
Until I started thinking about it, I didn’t think I had done much changing this year, but after a few seconds:
-Sold all my Kuiu gear, including packs (no particular reason, just decided that I liked my Kryptek clothing better for some reason (kill things wearing Kryptek, don’t seem to kill anything in Kuiu)
-bought a Dead Air suppressor, still months of waiting
-upgraded to an Oben CT-2491 tripod, it’s actually taller than me.
-went to Outdoorsmans pistol grip and will be picking up the panner, and some other pieces
-will be upgrading optics, thinking i’ll end up with the Nikon Laserforce and a set of Swaro 15x56WB’s or Kaibabs.
-probably be selling my 35 Whelen, 204 Ruger, 22lr pistol, and maybe my 1911 to do some of the above and switch out 22 pistols to a 22/45 Lite
-picked up a new 20F topquilt and upgraded my hammock from a $25 Amazon special to a 11.5’ Bearded Hanger Imperial and added some new ultralight hammock tree straps don’t think I saved more than a few ounces doing so, but should be more comfortable
-bought a Mystery Ranch Cabinet and some accessories that I think are going to fit my hunting style a bit more.
-also picked up a Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarp.

Other than that I’m hoping to end up with 4-6 tags this fall (split between Mule deer and pronghorn). Couldn’t figure out squeezing an elk in there.

Shraggs

WKR
Thinking of trying IW bh in place of my grim reapers. Did not get a pass thru on a deer, at 60 and he only went 54 yards but still concerned if that was an elk.

Going to get a larger and lighter cuben fiber asymmetrical tarp from MLD for my henesse hyperlite hammock.

Went with short EE under quilt, might sell it and get standard size.

Also like a light solo ground shelter, solomid or duomid maybe.

Might have a U shaped zipper out on my tahr pack.

OP
mfllood3800
I will be setting up a new muzzloader this year, I won a CVA accura, need to get a scope for it and bullets etc. may try that blackhorn 209 out, not sure yet. I reckon it's about time i upgrade from the older than dirt knight wolverine lol.

other than that, i am still acquiring stuff to do my out west hunts. cant decide what shelter, need a rangfeinder and binos too, oh and a bino harness also

Lets help you out
lol
209- best there is out there- get you some
Scope - Nothing wrong with a vortex 4x16x44
Shelter- SO Cimmaron
Range finder- Leica 1600
Binow- Swaro 10x42
Bino Harness- AGC Classic hbx max

There now all the worry is done- write the check
lol

OP
mfllood3800
I didn't think I had made too many changes for 2018 until I started thinking about it...

Added a (used) Super Tarp w/ annex a few months ago, just spent the 1st night in it last night. Looking forward to having this with me for solo Spike Camping in September. I currently run a cylinder stove, but I've been thinking about going with the Lite Outdoors stove this Fall.

Great choice ..... I have been running the LO 18" for a few years now

Weapons

Added a new rifle in January, 1st one I've bought in nearly 30 years! CA Ridgeline in 300WSM, Nightforce NXS 5.5x22. For kicks I Grabbed a Javelin Bipod for it (thanks Rokslide!). Will be picking up a suppressor for it pretty soon, narrowed down to two. I also Added a 480 Ruger Alaskan with Kenai chest holster, 1st hunt in Grizzly country coming up in about 2 months.

Thought I would upgrade from my 2016 Halon to the Triax this year, but I haven't had time to even look at one yet. I am absolutely Going to make some changes with my arrow set up. Ran the GT Pierce last season. Great shooting but super frustrating. Undecided on next arrow but maybe the new FMJ or some Black Eagle...?

I switched to BE arrows about 3 years ago. I run the X Impacts- love them - super consistent and touch

Also thinking about getting away from a wrist rocket style release. I don't know a damn thing about what "type" I want (back tension, hinge, thumb?). the only thing I know for sure is that - after I have clipped my release into my D-loop, I want to still be able to use my right hand to operate my rangefinder without unclipping and then having to reattach.

I have a Carter Honey 2 I have played with- it will clip and hang
It is a hinge style, with decent adjustability
I also just ordered the Carter Evolution

Optics:

Probably no changes this year. I upgraded my bino's last year from Vortex to (used) swaro EL 8x32. I want to upgrade my spotter along the same lines but I can't justify it since I never carry the damn thing hunting elk in the timber. I think I will look at the SLC 15's or the EL 12's in the next year or two, I just need to draw the right tag to properly incentivise me. I'm not a huge fan of my Silk Tripod either, so I would upgrade that at the same time.

I switched a couple years ago to a Promaster and a Manfrotto- both decent set ups for 65 size up to 90's

I've got the sig2200 RF and I like it pretty good, just wish it had a little tighter reticle/beam. I could pick up one of those nikon RF's that everyone is talking about if I can get my hands on one to play with.

Other:

Added the Zebralight Headlamp, man that thing is awesome. replaced my spot.

Dropping the Sawyer Squeeze and going to the SteriPEN this year. I've been resistant, but I finally broke down. I couldn't remember to put the damn Sawyer in my bag at night and it froze on me about a half dozen times in WY. I also found the bags they include with it are damn near impossible to fill up in the field and that was a pain. Haven't used the PEN yet, but with the included nalgene filter cap to get the solids out, I'm starting to get on board now. Looks super fast and very convenient.

Went back to my AGC Bino Harness after running the Muley Freak for a season. Didn't hate it, but I put on the AGC again a month or so ago and it just felt right.

Haha I tried a few different ones and kept coming back to my AGC too

Clothing is pretty dialed in, but I just ordered a pair of Pnuma Tenacity Pants to try out. I make a few hunts in WTX each year and the cactus out there just destroys my sitka/Eddie Bauer/Prana pants. Hoping these will do the trick.

I think that's about it. If I could just stay off this website I might stay satisfied with what I already have!

Aint that the truth

I went a little crazy this year, new bow set up (can't stop myself), new arrow set up, new shelter, new tripod, finally picked up trekking poles and the inreach, different boots, switched to a kifaru slick bag, grabbed some new sitka pieces....

Ya I went a little wild...

Wow! Everything but a new kitchen sink in that list :D

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to some First Lite outerwear pieces. Got a Vapor Stormlight and the Uncompahgre this year. I was using a Sitka Kelvin Lite and an old generic rain jacket. Also just got a new tripod that I’m liking a lot. I wanted something a bit more stout for digiscoping. I’m also trying out some Salomons and Asolo Drifters this year.
I always say I’m set on gear, then seem to buy something else I “needed”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
Well I moved from Ontario to BC last summer so I have not hunted since 2016 (yikes can't believe that). So pretty much everything has changed lol.

New gear added for BC: Inreach, caribou game bags, Sirui tripod, Manfrotto pan head, Cabelas Krotos spotting scope, Leice Trinovid 10x42. AGC bino harness, Scarpa Triolet Pro

Upgraded gear: platypus bladder and gravity filter, FL vapour rain jacket

Black Bear, Stone Sheep, Mountain Goat, Mule deer and Moose are on the menu.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not a whole lot here,

Boots, I’ll probably get some Lathrop and sons, Crispi or schnees. I want to upgrade to a taller boot for the added ankle support.

Scope, I want to dabble a bit with shooting past 500 or so which is where I’m comfortable now, I’m thinking of a nightforce shv 2.5-10.

Some things I’ve already picked up and getting ready to use this coming season are a stone glacier solo pack, javelin bipod, white bunny boots for that December moose season and winter caribou hunts.

Gumbo

WKR
Contemplating a Reckoning or Fulcrum...unsure of what's better for compressing down into a usable daypack. The Fulcrum looks nice but the wings, I'm not too sure of.
I was in the same boat. Honestly the wings on the Reckoning aren't great, but I wasn't sure if I could compress the fulcrum wings without extra straps. I also was pretty sure the fulcrum was like a souped up nomad, which was a major PIA and inefficient for my purposes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk