Changes to your 2018 system

OP
mfllood3800
On my fulcrum, I still leave the kill kit, emergency kit in the bottom of main bag
Then in the wings its just puffy, rain coat, snacks,

If in using my 80, it goes down the middle
But I rarely bring it for bow hunting

The batwings have their own strap system.. I added 2 more to allow it to be used the way I prefer
Kifaru sends extra strap for you as well. It is a great pack, but I am not sure I will use it over my AMR..
I installed Spotting scope pockets down the side of the AMR a few years ago and it looks a lot like the Fulcrum, but with out all the straps/ But the AMR is huge diameter, where the fulcrum is not- which helps in day mode compression.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've been dialed in for 4 or 5 years now, but a few very minor mods.

Was debating selling my Montbell SS3 bag for a warmer bag, but I love that thing. Wound up purchasing a S to S reactor liner to boost temp rating. Curious how that pans out. Will have a chance to test it next weekend over in AZ with bottom-end temps forecast in the lower 20s.

Bought my own Delorme Inreach unit. Thanks to a couple Rok members for "renting" me their devices in past years for certain trips.

Phaseolus

WKR
My change: an elk this year, two years without is a drought of epic proportions.

OP
mfllood3800
Id rather not say, but i dont own a howa anymore either....
I'd like to know your opinion
Doesn't mean I have to agree

I use first lite any way

But it's info others may want

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
“Hey I’ve got a secret but I can’t tell you”.......

But anyways...

I didn’t make my first hunt last year but I did change some things for my first hunt this September, if that counts.

I stepped up from my beginner bow to a big boy bow a couple weeks ago. I started with the Diamond Archery Deploy. I actually started to really like it. Last month I noticed my serving fraying to the point of almost cutting the string where it rides in the cam. After some googling I saw that this was a common problem. That kind of killed my confidence in the bow. The next week I got the new Matthews Halon 32.... HUGE difference. I’ve got a 31” draw so this bow fits me much better.

It is like learning how to shoot again though since it’s geometry and quality is so much different. It’s also a pound heavier which I’m finally adjusting to. Last weekend I really started to get comfortable with it.

I also went to a Fast Eddie XL 3 pin setup. Top two pins .19 and third pin .10. I absolutely love this setup coming from a fixed 5 pin CBE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
I was in the same boat. Honestly the wings on the Reckoning aren't great, but I wasn't sure if I could compress the fulcrum wings without extra straps. I also was pretty sure the fulcrum was like a souped up nomad, which was a major PIA and inefficient for my purposes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's what it looked like to me, and while I like the idea, I'm not sure if the idea is efficiently executable without having straps everywhere? It would be really nice to see/try one first! I've got no issues with Kifaru products; last year I bought a used T3 (small pack great for daypacking and deer quarters) and love it. Part of me doesn't half-wonder if I shouldn't just get a frame and used T2 for elk, or frame and cargo panel for hauling quarters and use the T3 for daypacking.

Add to this the compounding factor of not being able to hunt after this year, for three years (Navy obligations), and it makes me upgrading/buying anything, especially along the lines of an expensive pack and shelter (I really want a Sawtooth and stove!) a financially questionable endeavor.

I was also contemplating a new smoker (Yoder Loaded Wichita), but with the pending PCS move and mixed reviews of the unit's ability to draft and stay lit, I'm not sure about that either. The "upgrade" to the Kingman is too much for me, although it does look cool.

Also thought about new Leupold optics...but same dilemma as above.

I know for sure I will be upgrading my Idaho license before I leave to a lifetime license.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Got a lot of my first quality hunting and outdoor gear this past winter. This will all be used for my PA whitetail woods as well as backpacking out west and possibly sheep, goat, or elk hunting (tagging along, I'm not doing the shooting)

Please don't critique me too hard since I'm a broke college student lol. I have to think with my wallet which is pretty tight but I put most of my money towards hunting gear. It's not all perfect but it's a start.

Alps outdoors commander pack + bag (it was a gift, so it will have to do for a while)

Sitka Equinox pants and jacket, fanatic hoody, lightweight hoody. I know it's whitetail stuff but I do a ton of hiking/shed hunting in it and I'm comfortable with it for a week of backpacking and serious hiking.

Kuiu super down ultra hooded jacket. (Won it)

Patagonia Torrentshell rain jacket, Sitka Dewpoint pants.

Kenetrek Hardscrabble hikers, hiking gaiters, OR Rocky mountain high gaiters.

Vortex crossfire 8x42 and diamondback 10x42 with a vortex bino bivy.

Will be buying more stuff in the future, appreciate any input.

Deepshax

WKR
changes:
Salomon Quests -> Lathrop Mountain Hunters
Marmot 15* bag -> 20* EE quilt
JetBoil -> Windmaster (still looking for a Ti mug/pot)
Outdoor edge razor lite (lost) -> Tyto
26" Duplex w/ highcamp 4800 -> 24" Hunter frame w/ Tahr
Garmin etrex 20 -> GAIA via Pixel2

adds:
*Patagonia houdini wind shirt
*Patagonia thermal weight hoody
*Primus Micron
*Anker 10,000mah battery
*Helinox chair zero

Neoair xtherm pad
Going floorless with a jimmy tarp hudson
New bow to replace my Ross from...07..06..something like that
Stove for the floorless shelter
New Kennetrek gaiters to replace my old Kennetrek gaiters
Sounds like a lot when it's all written down.
Ditched all my First Lite stuff, kept most of the Sitka, but have found good value in stuff from companies that are just "outdoor" related and not hunting specific. Once I took a step back, I realized how overpriced these companies really are. I realize they help the hunting industry, but I'm not giving anyone $300 for a paper thin rain coat that doesn't keep me any drier or warmer than a $75 Helly Hanson.

ljalberta

WKR
Got a FL Unpronounceable jacket, and I'll try some new early season pants (ran costco's last year). Other than that I think my budget this year will go towards getting into fly fishing.

OP
mfllood3800
Got a lot of my first quality hunting and outdoor gear this past winter. This will all be used for my PA whitetail woods as well as backpacking out west and possibly sheep, goat, or elk hunting (tagging along, I'm not doing the shooting)

Please don't critique me too hard since I'm a broke college student lol. I have to think with my wallet which is pretty tight but I put most of my money towards hunting gear. It's not all perfect but it's a start.

Alps outdoors commander pack + bag (it was a gift, so it will have to do for a while)

Sitka Equinox pants and jacket, fanatic hoody, lightweight hoody. I know it's whitetail stuff but I do a ton of hiking/shed hunting in it and I'm comfortable with it for a week of backpacking and serious hiking.

Kuiu super down ultra hooded jacket. (Won it)

Patagonia Torrentshell rain jacket, Sitka Dewpoint pants.

Kenetrek Hardscrabble hikers, hiking gaiters, OR Rocky mountain high gaiters.

Vortex crossfire 8x42 and diamondback 10x42 with a vortex bino bivy.

Will be buying more stuff in the future, appreciate any input.
You are correct, lots of straps
But that is ok if you are familiar with this issue
To new people, it is usually an issue

It's my 6th kifaru bag I think, and it's just part of it

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm in same boat
I didn't list everything
Some stuff was a change as much as it was a basic upgrade.
Like pouches, battery packs, gloves, socks, sos device

Lol
I just listed the major items that hopefully will impact the hunt
For the better

Yeah, like gps coordinates of where to find elk 🤣

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk