Changes to your 2018 system

twall13

WKR
The season is still a ways off, so even though I don't feel like I need to make any changes I probably will by the time it rolls around. I did make myself a new hammock for this year. Not an upgrade so much as my favorite hammock is getting a bit thin in a few areas and I'm not sure I fully trust it in the back country any longer so I made another. I also bought some Sitka Timberline pants but don't plan on those replacing anything until later in the year. I also picked up a Javelin bipod from the group buy and so far I like it alot.

I may end up with one of the new Kifaru frames but I don't need one so I'm waiting for some reviews and additional perspective from Rolslide before deciding. I also plan on picking up a new rifle (6.5 Creed) and scope and use that on an antelope hunt this year.

My gear addiction is a never ending process. I really do have my system fairly well dialed so it's mostly just small changes here and there to tinker with.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
^^^ Yep, I find myself tinkering way too much. What I have now, at this point in my life, is way better in almost every way, then what I hunted with in the 70's and 80's. Whether its my clothing or my bow- no comparison.
But I have that "tinkering" disease.

I try to bring one new guy into hunting each year. My old stuff, that didn't "tinker" well, usually goes to them. It is way better than what they currently have too, cause they usually have nothing. Like me over 40 years ago
:)

ChukarUp

FNG
Sitka 1/4 zip merino...not quite as skin tight as my current merino base, so might use it as a base or second layer.

Finally got an Exo hip pouch for my K2 3500. Was previously using a Kuiu hip pouch that I picked up for a buck. Will probably use the old one as a floating stash pocket inside the lid.

Those are my only two changes.

As for my wife: Lorpin socks, Prana pants, First Light merino tops, First Lite Aurora, Patagonia Puffy, Sitka 90% Jacket, trucker hat, smart wool gloves, generic insulated mittens, Vortex Viper 12x50 binocs. She is getting back into it after a few years off from big game hunting..was due for an overhaul.

OP
mfllood3800
Sitka 1/4 zip merino...not quite as skin tight as my current merino base, so might use it as a base or second layer.

Finally got an Exo hip pouch for my K2 3500. Was previously using a Kuiu hip pouch that I picked up for a buck. Will probably use the old one as a floating stash pocket inside the lid.

Those are my only two changes.

As for my wife: Lorpin socks, Prana pants, First Light merino tops, First Lite Aurora, Patagonia Puffy, Sitka 90% Jacket, trucker hat, smart wool gloves, generic insulated mittens, Vortex Viper 12x50 binocs. She is getting back into it after a few years off from big game hunting..was due for an overhaul.
Good for her
Great for you
That's awesome

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

UtahJimmy

WKR
So far: merino beanie, handloads for tikka, first spotting scope (maybe - viper 85mm - couldn't pass up the deal!)

On the list: javelin long bipod, new long sleeve 1/2 zip merino top

I know I'll be picking up little things here and there, but no major changes planned. I'm dialed in on my archery setup so I wanted to focus on the rifle this off-season.

Selling my Mathews Creed and pulling the trigger on a Prime Centergy. Excited to make the change. Also getting into a heavier arrow. Been shooting around 440 grains in an Easton Axis. Plan on going with a heavier arrow setup with the new bow. Looking to get closer to the 475 grains ballpark. Haven't settled on which shaft. Have really liked the Easton Axis so will see once I get the Centergy set up and see what fly's best. My boots will be getting an upgrade as well this summer. Looking at getting something a bit stiffer than the Salomon Quests. Good boot but prefer something stiffer. Outside of that I have really enjoyed the rest of my gear. I'm sure the "good idea fairy" will show its head as time passes and convince me of other changes. haha

Trial153

WKR
Sold my NB and went back to last years Bow I built. An elite Spirit, switched up my Stabilizer set up and am running Quiverlizer this year. Cut down some ACCs and put 75 grains of brass upfront for a lighter then my normal arrow with a finished weight of 450 grains. Going with Ironwill and solids.

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
So most of us are well into changing, modify or refining something in our system from last year.
I decided my 2017 was pretty dang good, and didn't need to change anything.
But being the fool for marketing I am, I opted to switch a few things.

I thought it would be neat to see what others have switched from or to.

Arrow Fletching
- went to Vane Tec Super Spine 3", 4 fletched
- This is a change from Blazers, 2" - 3 fletched last year
- Actually started shooting these last year

Sleeping Bag
-Switched to a WM 15 degree from a $50 - "0" degree bag
- The one weakness in my system, and I finally saved enough to get a used WM.

Range Finder Pouch
-switched to Rugged Sticking custom
-also used him for my GPS/SOS pouch

Sleeping Pad
-switched from a Klymit to a ExPed Synmat 7
- Nothing wrong with the Klymit, just wanted an Insulated one

Water purification
- went to a Steripen Ultra from a Adventurer
- again nothing wrong with the old, but I am going all "rechargeable" with my battery items, and eliminating extra AA/AAA's

I am curious to hear what some of you upgraded to/from and why.

Good thread! I changed a few clothing pieces, switched to the first Lite citrus instead of the heavier duty puffy because it wasn’t necessary for my style of hunting, but besides that I think my system worked out pretty well this year! Always switching and swapping though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning to try a canoe float hunt this year...so I may be upgrading canoes from my red faded Coleman Ram-X to something better. I'm finding out there are way more options for canoes than I ever thought possible, and finding a good used one around my neck of the woods likely won't happen.

I also need new boots. I have a hard time finding boots that don't blister my heels, so may just get another pair of the Cabela's Meindl Perfekt hikers. I need to get into a store to try on some Crispi's, but that means at least a 2 hour drive for limited selection.

The other thing I did is buy an extra week of vacation at work so I can spend more time in the woods. This should prove to be my best upgrade this year.

Thinking about going to a slider. Currently have an armortech on the bow. have had it for years. Like the looks of their slider. Almost pulled the trigger on it last year, but it was too late and didn't want to go with a new system.

Maybe upgrade my old cabelas 25 degree backpack bag...it is super light and compact though. I run a liner and sleep in my "long Johns" so it has been warm enough (We have a stove in the tent if needed)

Can't really think of anything else at the moment. Kind of have my set up like I like it.

Thinking about a stove for the base camp tent, but not really needed at this point.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
This is a fun thread. It was a long winter in ND and I had way too much ample free time. In an effort to empty my bank ive been trying to lighten things up a bit, and make a jump to higher end stuff elsewhere. I switched from a cheapo cabelas synthetic bag to the marmot hydrogen 15 degree bag. Went from a BA jackrabbit single to the tarptent double rainbow for some added space. swapped out my cabelas instinct pad with the big agnes Q-core. Bought a couple new firstlite pieces on preorder. The biggest change was ditching my kuiu ultra 3000 in favor of the kifaru fulcrum with the new ultralitght frame. Packed out a giant bodied bull and 2 deer last year solo and while it worked just fine a little more comfort wouldnt be unwelcome. For optics i snagged the cabelas krotos 65mm on sale for a lightweight scope/ truck scope and upgraded my meopta meopro HD 80 to the Meostar s2 82mm. I've ran the promaster pan tripod head for the last couple years and I end up having to order a new one each year as it gets a little sloppy with use so I upgraded to the sirui VA-5. For the archery side of things I'm now running easton axis pro's 4 fletched with AAE pro maxx hunters compared to the BE spartans with blazers of the last couple years (I had some durability issues). Just started testing several different broadheads to pass the time. Absolutely none of the things I have purchased will make me a better hunter in any way shape or form but it sure is fun researching all these things.

ScottinPA

WKR
My last western hunt(DIY truck camp) was in 2016. Learned a lot and made changes from that for this year (DIY drop camp):
Pack went from a MR Longbow to a Kifaru with 22Mag but recently switched to a DT1 back. I like it better in day mode than the 22mag.
Clothes went from BDU's to some Sitka, KUIU and FL stuff I picked up on sales or good deals used.
Reduced my main recurve a few pounds so I've been playing with the setup some.
Added trekking poles.
Looking at sleeping bag liners. I have a Cosmic Down 20F bag but was cold in 2016. My GI poncho liner saved the day. Thinking of Sea to Summit Reactor or just put the liner is a drybag with the sleeping bag.
New Thermarest Scout pad compared to borrowed z pad.

mvmnts

WKR
This year I'm adding gear for spring turkey and rifle deer seasons, and I'm going to keep working away at my baseweight for archery elk. I really want a new bow too but I just can't fit it into the budget with the other stuff I "need" more. Everything else as far as my backpacking system, gear and clothing, is more than solid, not changing anything there.

New stuff this year:

New Boots
Old: La Sportiva Core High GTX - Glorified high top trail runners. Compromise on support to get the fit I needed. The outside was too delicate and the GTX liner was damaged. Refunded under GORE warranty.
New: Crispi Wyoming's, I finally found a pair that don't suck, after trying on over a dozen high end pairs. I might have weirdly shaped feet. They seem bomber and they're pretty comfortable with a little leuko pre-taping.

New Pack
Old: Stone Glacier XCurve + Sky 5900 - Bomber pack, lovely frame, but too heavy (too many zippers and pockets and lids). Side pockets were small and unusable for much.
New: Seek Outside Goshawk 4800 - Same X-PAC x42, less cordura is a net positive, very simple design that I am more comfortable with. Frame looks good too, but we'll see. Almost 2lbs saved.

Solo Hot Tent - Late Season Shelter
Old: None
New: Seek Outside Silvertip w/ Cub Stove - 3.75lbs, strongly considering this.

Turkey Gun!
Old: None
New: Remington 870 Express 12ga, Truglo SSX Choke, HEVI-13 3" No.6, patterns really well out to 50 yards.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
Good thread, I enjoyed reading all of your updates. I have yet to update anything....but here is what I'm hoping for.

Stone Glacier 5900 with Xcurve frame. This one most likely will happen, I got 250 bucks in SG gift cards for my birthday/christmas from the inlaws.

Schnee's boots
SO cimarron with a stove (not sure which stove yet)
New bag, and new pad. Not sure which ones of these yet either. More research needs done.

My current gear is heavy and bulky, but tollerable. I killed my first bull while on a backpack hunt last year. I'm really hoping the new pack works out, the other stuff I can hopefully piece together in the future. I'm a school teacher, my wife is currently not working staying home with our 2 year old son, and we have another on the way. So, usually I'm out of money each month after the mandatory expenses are taken care of. Good luck this fall!

Billinsd

WKR
After watching a Randy Newberg video I bought a 2 ton come along. I bought a pair of Sitka Mountain pants. I bought some Grim Reaper Whitetail Special Mechanicals for turkey hunting. Maxxa escape buddy traction mats for my truck. I got a whole lot of Ex Offico underwear, lol. I bought a tie rod connector, in case mine breaks and I can hobble out for help.

Pew Pew: I have a new toy that goes bang (.257 Weatherby) that I plan on testing out on a third season rifle hunt in colorado.
Pack: Got a new Pintler and a Mule from MR that I am looking forward to playing with on day hunts.
Tent: I got my Hudson from Jimmy Tarps last year but I will really be using it for the first real back country experience this year.
Feet: Picked up a sweet pair of Lowa's on a great deal here on Rokslide. Thank you very much BTW. they are awesome.
Stove: Ran into a smokin deal on a new MSR international
Pad: In the process of buying a new pad. Still undecided but leaning toward the Big Agnes. I dont sleep well so a big fat comfy pad sounds nice.
Archery: Just ordered a new set Iron Will broadheads. looking forward to ventilating a couple critters.

As for MYwife....if she sees this thread i might be in trouble... :)

H82miss

FNG
I switched from shooting my bow left handed to shooting right handed (I'm a lefty but right eye dominant), so I got a whole new bow set up. Sold my left handed 2010 Hoyt Maxxis 31 and bought a new RX-1. Also switched releases from a Scott trigger finger release to a Carter Wise Choice thumb trigger. Built all new Black Eagle Rampage arrows and plan to use the same old Magnus Buzzcut 4 blade broadheads (total arrow weight 440gr) Thats enough change this year for me.

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I have been changing a few items around this year.
-Sold my Hoyt Vector 35 and bought a Prime Centergy Hybrid
-Now shooting Black Eagle Rampage arrows at 520gr (70lb bow shooting them at 270fps)
-Switched from G5 Striker BHs to Strickland Helix 125gr BHs
-Pre-ordered a set of 2018 FirstLite Fuse base layers
-Added a Kuiu down vest for insulation in late season
-Firstlite Merino Fingerless gloves
-Kuiu Peloton 240 beanie
-BlackOvis Merino hoodie, briefs, and tshirt

I am excited to test all of the new gear out this season!