Changes to your 2018 system

So most of us are well into changing, modify or refining something in our system from last year.
I decided my 2017 was pretty dang good, and didn't need to change anything.
But being the fool for marketing I am, I opted to switch a few things.

I thought it would be neat to see what others have switched from or to.

Arrow Fletching
- went to Vane Tec Super Spine 3", 4 fletched
- This is a change from Blazers, 2" - 3 fletched last year
- Actually started shooting these last year

Sleeping Bag
-Switched to a WM 15 degree from a $50 - "0" degree bag
- The one weakness in my system, and I finally saved enough to get a used WM.

Range Finder Pouch
-switched to Rugged Sticking custom
-also used him for my GPS/SOS pouch

Sleeping Pad
-switched from a Klymit to a ExPed Synmat 7
- Nothing wrong with the Klymit, just wanted an Insulated one

Water purification
- went to a Steripen Ultra from a Adventurer
- again nothing wrong with the old, but I am going all "rechargeable" with my battery items, and eliminating extra AA/AAA's

I am curious to hear what some of you upgraded to/from and why.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not adding much new this year. I'll be getting some of the new Sitka and First lite clothing. Probably get a suppressor or two and maybe a thermal scope.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

I'm adding a Sitka Kelvin Active and Midweight 1/4 zip to my set up. Might pick up a stove for my Cimarron. Were moving to Idaho in June so I'm sure there will be some more gear changes.

I’m ditching the merino and going synthetic all the way. I might smell funky after a few days but atleast I will be dry.
Also ditching the down and going with a slick bag.

I was pretty happy with my gear from last year, the only thing I have changed so far is my shelter. I was using a GoLite SL5 with a stove jack, but it was such a pain to set up. I recently acquired a BPW Luna 6 and it is freaking awesome. Stupid easy to set up and plenty of room for a couple of hunters, gear and a stove.

idig4au

WKR
Thinking about swapping out my EMR2 bag with either the Reckoning or Crater bag. It might be a case of the good idea fairy though as I'm pretty happy with the EMR2 and its served me well the last few years. I like the concept of the independent compression straps on the new bags and that's mainly driving the thought I need to get a new bag.

Other than that my gear is dialed in for the most part.

Looking to replace my old stretched out Chama with whatever FL is replacing it with, the Merino X stuff? I love their stuff but always hated how my Chama stretched out from a Large to a 2XL after a week or so and am hoping the Merino X stuff will prevent that. Might check out their new Fleece Shirt and that Vest they have coming out. Otherwise im pretty much set with what I ran last year.

OP
mfllood3800
My arrows
472 grains
Montec 125 with 60 gr SS outserts

I will likely change my bag too
I got the new fulcrum, but like above, my AMR is just so awesome

Got my clothes dialed, but the new FL, looks good

31a65c44bb692cb21c775f1a14a8d859.jpg
602d69c0a69eb6d50bc868fda99db974.jpg
9761e8ea938e96e254ea080bb10d105a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I need to replace some gear too (truck camping tent especially), but my biggest change is switching to a Reckoning from the Nomad. I didn't like the Nomad at all, especially when using my monster spotter and packing elk quarters. The bag just didn't work like I wanted but I think this one will be the best bag for my daypack purposes in the Kifaru lineup.

OP
mfllood3800
This will b my first year with a 4 fletch set up. I have been practicing for a couple years now (actually 3) just didn't want to change up, what has been working.
lol

That's the same with most of my gear.
My old sleeping bag was getting it done, but I wanted a warmer lighter one.

I hunt a few States, different animals with different weapons so there is always a modification some where.
I am getting older, so always looking for easier, yet efficient.

I need to have a "gear" garage sale
lol

SWOHTR

WKR
Contemplating a Reckoning or Fulcrum...unsure of what's better for compressing down into a usable daypack. The Fulcrum looks nice but the wings, I'm not too sure of.

amp713

WKR
I went a little crazy this year, new bow set up (can't stop myself), new arrow set up, new shelter, new tripod, finally picked up trekking poles and the inreach, different boots, switched to a kifaru slick bag, grabbed some new sitka pieces....

Ya I went a little wild...

I upgraded my whole archery set up. I hunted whitetails with a PSE brute, Bloodline arrows and Rage broadheads.This year me and my brother are headed to hunt elk with archery equipment. So I bought a Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo with Black Eagle Rampage arrows and Solid broadheads. My arrows weigh 525 grains and I'm shooting them at 280fps. That should handle an elk. Hopefully I'll get the chance to shoot one.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
I upgraded my archery set up - new bow, sight, rest, and arrows. I kept my old bow as a backup. I hope to be done with messing around with it in May so I can start practicing for real.

S.Clancy

WKR
The 2 things I've looked at upgrading are my chair (still use a 10+ year old crazy creek) and sleeping pad. Could probably cut over a pound off my pack by upgrading those. Otherwise, I'm pretty set with everything else. I always say I'm going to upgrade arrows and shoot over 500 gr, but my current set-up has killed elk to 60 yd, so why bother.

OP
mfllood3800
I went a little crazy this year, new bow set up (can't stop myself), new arrow set up, new shelter, new tripod, finally picked up trekking poles and the inreach, different boots, switched to a kifaru slick bag, grabbed some new sitka pieces....

Ya I went a little wild...
Holy smokes
That's some serious changes
Way to go
Lol

OP
mfllood3800
Contemplating a Reckoning or Fulcrum...unsure of what's better for compressing down into a usable daypack. The Fulcrum looks nice but the wings, I'm not too sure of.
That's what makes it a day pack
Stuff can go on them