How much to trust OnX maps

lipripr

FNG
So I found a very promising looking small piece of what onx says is public land sandwiched between two parcels of a private ranch. There is a man gate that is unlocked and not posted with a fence that runs from one parcel of private to the other. Making the public section seem like it is part of the ranch. I have gone through many a cattle gate on national forest land and this feels much the same as the ranch does run cattle. But this is just a man gate not a cattle guard across a road. Do I trust the onx maps as well as two other maps that concur that I am on public? Thanks for any input.

I would trust it. Most ranches on my area try to discreetly "absorb" small peices of public land, but if confronted about it will back right off. I have been on the same situation before and been able to rely on ONX.

Trial153

WKR
I trust it. Pretty much the best infield resorce I could have. Infallible no. But pretty darn good.

OP
L

lipripr

FNG
I would trust it. Most ranches on my area try to discreetly "absorb" small peices of public land, but if confronted about it will back right off. I have been on the same situation before and been able to rely on ONX.
It seems to me this is exactly what this ranch is trying to do. It’s not even my plan A but I’m thinking I have to hunt it now just out of principle

OP
L

lipripr

FNG
I trust it. Pretty much the best infield resorce I could have. Infallible no. But pretty darn good.

I agree, but the infallible part is concerning I would never knowingly trespass but the “OnX said I could” defense would not hold up I’m sure

530Chukar

WKR
Check with the local office of the authority having jurisdiction (USFS, BLM.) They should be able to tell you without a doubt. A local game warden might have some insight as well.

Rockchuck

WKR
Check with the county recorder, etc. They can track it down easily and then you are sure. I know of 2 fairly large parcels in utah in the areas I hunt that have private land mislabled as public thru onX. I was all worked up about it since onX showed public and it was posted private, so i decided to do some homework. It was previously division of wildlife owned but swapped with a private landowner to better align their property boundaries. The swap was over 15 years ago and the county has it updated but onX does not, so if you hit on some spots that dont match it would be good to check with the county, state land office, or blm, etc to be sure.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check with the county recorder, etc. They can track it down easily and then you are sure. I know of 2 fairly large parcels in utah in the areas I hunt that have private land mislabled as public thru onX. I was all worked up about it since onX showed public and it was posted private, so i decided to do some homework. It was previously division of wildlife owned but swapped with a private landowner to better align their property boundaries. The swap was over 15 years ago and the county has it updated but onX does not, so if you hit on some spots that dont match it would be good to check with the county, state land office, or blm, etc to be sure.
I also ran into this in Utah and also a spot in Wyoming

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
L

lipripr

FNG
This is the plan the county offices are a little bit far away unfortunately but worth the piece of mind.

OP
L

lipripr

FNG
Check with the local office of the authority having jurisdiction (USFS, BLM.) They should be able to tell you without a doubt. A local game warden might have some insight as well.
I actually ran into the national forest LEO on my way out when I found the place. I flagged him down explained the problem and he said he was new and would look into it and get back to me. Never called back I even called him 10 days later left a message and never heard back. He seemed like a nice guy but that’s kind of lame I think.

I trust em to within 20' and always use the tracking feature should anyone suggest I crossed onto their property.

AdamW

WKR
This is the plan the county offices are a little bit far away unfortunately but worth the piece of mind.

You can typically call them online or get access/documents electronically. Having to show up in person is pretty rare these days.

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
My dad emailed them to ask this and they essentially said it won’t hold up in court most of the time and isn’t to be used for legal boundaries for posting properties and other similar things, but it is a good guide and it’s typically pretty spot on! If you can show someone why you are where you are (on the app) typically they are more reasonable to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
As far as accuracy. I tested it on an unmarked boundary to a piece of private ground in CO last year. There is no fence or signage of any kind. Got the little blue dot on the line and started walking. Went less than 100 yards and walked up on a survey boundary stake and it was dead center on the line. I typically try to stay well off a line but wanted to test it. Obviously a different scenario than what you face and I would be looking for confirmation that you are good to proceed.

I found a piece of ground that onxmaps had marked as BLM color but it had a private land owner name on it. I emailed them about it they said it might be a error and they would look into it. I noticed about 6 months later they had it changed to private color. Otherwise its spot on and I use it a lot. Having cached satellite images on my phone is great.

wytx

WKR
Onx can be wrong. Check with the county assessor's office or the county GIS map.

jmden

WKR
I've seen OnX be wrong a number of times in term so exact boundary location, trail locations, etc. Take with grain of salt and verify with second appropriate source if think necessary.