Ideal Arrow Weight?

elkyinzer

WKR
500 grains is a good arrow weight

Agree I sit about 490 with my FMJs and a 125 grain broadhead. Have some 175 grains to get me up into 500's, but don't feel like the added punch is worth the increased drop for shooting out even in that 35-50 yard range which is rare but I do like to be dialed in there.

Not really looking to nitpick semantics related to some of above posts, but I do pretty much agree with his argument that a lot of guys should step up at least a little.

Small sample size, but of the three proshops I am familiar with in Western PA, I think all three are going to try to setup the average guy off the street up in the 380-400 range for a 28 inch draw. That's your carbon arrows like Maximas at around 9 gpi with a 100 grain broadhead and blazers. Very common setup around these parts for the more casual guys. Obviously most more experience dudes are sending more weight downrange because there really is no argument to be made, under 400 is a little questionable. Throw some poor tuning and then the junk broadheads the industry pushes and you have recipes for poor penetration.

It's not rocket science, heavier arrows do penetrate better and hit harder. Just decide, would you rather get blasted by a ping pong ball or golf ball traveling at 100 mph? Two objects roughly the same dimensions with different mass. I know which I am taking on. Same concept.

But heck, I see guys on the tv shooting deer in the ribs, double lung shots, and the arrow goes in like 8". It is scary that some folks think that kind of performance is anywhere near normal and ethical.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
You might consider toning down the "I've hunted for 41 years and I know a hell of lot more than you morons" sentiment if you want people to take you seriously.

I think you just manufactured and false premise and based your argument upon it. You even went to far as to quote (even included "") to something that was never said or written here.

Beendare

WKR
By no means did I mean that this is ideal for every situation, (perhaps I could have clarified that a bit more) but I hunt 99% whitetail and 1% elk, so shooting a super heavy arrow doesn’t exactly fit my needs like it would for a western hunter who needs penetration above all. ....

Sounds like we aren't that far apart. I shoot 500gr...and its funny how so many experienced guys like Justin, Mez, etc have settled on that weight [or close to it] as optimal.

Sure, you don't need to shoot some overly heavy arrow [over 550gr] to get good performance on game.

Whitetails; when you start to think that most whitetail shots are 15-30yds....speed and slightly flatter trajectory aren't a big factor. At those shot distances, the trajectory difference in 100gr of arrow isn't much....but the tuning, sound, vibration, arrow efficiency of the heavier arrow IS a significant difference....just food for thought.

Very much enjoying this thread as I was recently re-examining what I should use for elk this archery season, but would like to use the same set-up for whitetails. I wonder if some of you experience folks in using a heavier set-up could recommend an arrow setup for me? If so, here are my specs:

Elite Synergy at 67 pounds
Arrow length 27.5 inches
I would like to use a 125 grain broad head (almost sure I will use Iron Will vented)
I believe my optimal spine is 340 with my bow (according to Gold Tip's site)

Have had good success with Gold Tip arrows in the past but open to other suggestions. Prefer high quality.

Thanks for any suggestions you could offer for arrow/inserts/vanes for these specs.

To the OP you set yourself up when you started this thread
lol

I used to be the 396 gr guy shooting at 330 fps and getting pass thrus on everything out west including several elk at 80 + yards.
I laughed at all the "you gotta go heavy" flag bearers.

But then it happened.
I lost a bull elk. 56 yards, a little front, but good height.
Decent blood, but the dried up.
I thought I hit shoulder blade, which I probably did.
Then the next hunt, Mule deer in AZ, on a buck of a life time, again a bit high, but not because of me, he jumped my string (noise and distance) as he was at 60 yards.

I immediately came home, repented, confessed, and gave those arrows away, and got me a new set up that is close to 500.

The one guy on here is simply saying by his experience, he has learned a lot.
You are saying info I can agree with too.

We each have our own methods and gear.
Archery is one of those topics that really brings out the argument.

I appreciate the guys who have opinions, but bottom line, what works for me, I use. Until it doesn't, then I switch.

My set up:
487 gr fixed blade at 295 FPS
I would go heavier if I could find some good weigh insert for my skinnies.
lol

I personally wont go below 280 FPS- just me, just my desire.
Other guys, Trad guys included, go for it. I am fine with that.
I want 280
I have room left on my arrow weight too, so if I can find the weights, Ill do it and should be right at 500 grains and 280-285 fps.

Next time don't post such a hot topic for debate, you know, like: why Kifaru is so much better than EXO, or Montec than Slick, or PSE than Hoyt
:)

its a tough crowd on here

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
To the OP you set yourself up when you started this thread
lol

I used to be the 396 gr guy shooting at 330 fps and getting pass thrus on everything out west including several elk at 80 + yards.
I laughed at all the "you gotta go heavy" flag bearers.

But then it happened.
I lost a bull elk. 56 yards, a little front, but good height.
Decent blood, but the dried up.
I thought I hit shoulder blade, which I probably did.
Then the next hunt, Mule deer in AZ, on a buck of a life time, again a bit high, but not because of me, he jumped my string (noise and distance) as he was at 60 yards.

I immediately came home, repented, confessed, and gave those arrows away, and got me a new set up that is close to 500.

The one guy on here is simply saying by his experience, he has learned a lot.
You are saying info I can agree with too.

We each have our own methods and gear.
Archery is one of those topics that really brings out the argument.

I appreciate the guys who have opinions, but bottom line, what works for me, I use. Until it doesn't, then I switch.

My set up:
487 gr fixed blade at 295 FPS
I would go heavier if I could find some good weigh insert for my skinnies.
lol

I personally wont go below 280 FPS- just me, just my desire.
Other guys, Trad guys included, go for it. I am fine with that.
I want 280
I have room left on my arrow weight too, so if I can find the weights, Ill do it and should be right at 500 grains and 280-285 fps.

Next time don't post such a hot topic for debate, you know, like: why Kifaru is so much better than EXO, or Montec than Slick, or PSE than Hoyt
:)

its a tough crowd on here

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Some people just like to be disrespectful and act like they know everything. We all learn from our experiences, and I haven’t found reason to make my bow slower than 280.. yet, but I may change that if I have an incident that causes me to reevaluate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like we aren't that far apart. I shoot 500gr...and its funny how so many experienced guys like Justin, Mez, etc have settled on that weight [or close to it] as optimal.

Sure, you don't need to shoot some overly heavy arrow [over 550gr] to get good performance on game.

Whitetails; when you start to think that most whitetail shots are 15-30yds....speed and slightly flatter trajectory aren't a big factor. At those shot distances, the trajectory difference in 100gr of arrow isn't much....but the tuning, sound, vibration, arrow efficiency of the heavier arrow IS a significant difference....just food for thought.

Agreed! My concern with speed is more based on wanting to practice at far distances. If I slow my bow down below 240, it limits my tapes majorly. As it relates to hunting, any weight would be plenty fine for 20-30 yard shooting.

Trial153

WKR
There is no ideal arrow weight. What there is a series of compromises. I found with myself in bowhunting was that when I admitted I didn’t have all the answers only then started to really learn. Narrow scopes of experiences and big egos gets us nothing but threads like this.

svivian

WKR
I think 500gr is becoming the popular choice because many bows are plateauing in speed between 330 and 350fps. I shoot 495gr arrow at 290fps because I like the balance of speed and weight.

Beendare

WKR
Agreed! My concern with speed is more based on wanting to practice at far distances. If I slow my bow down below 240, it limits my tapes majorly. As it relates to hunting, any weight would be plenty fine for 20-30 yard shooting.

yeah ...makes sense....and of course your arrow works.

try this; Shoot a 500gr arrow in your bow....move your sight ring so that the 500gr is dead on at 40 yds.

then shoot your old 420ish gr arrow using the 40 yd pin. Compare the difference.....hint....it ain't much. You see most of the calculators give you a skewed view of reality. First the chart is very compact....second they compare to flat ground.....when what you really want is to compare the trajectories in an apples to apples way.
BTW, it doesn't work the other way- shooting the heavy arrow sighted for the lighter arrow....the arrow starts from a lower position right off the bat and gives you a poor comparison.

Im my compound that difference is a little less than 1 inch. Is it worth it to me to lose 1" in trajectory at 40 yds for an addl 80 gr- I think so but of course many will disagree. I don't shoot the very long hunting some do....so a tiny loss in trajectory to me is a non factor. Everyone is different....but thinking a 400 gr arrow is equl to a 500gr arrow in performance on big critters- its not even close from what I've seen.

I will send you one of my Axis 300's if you want to try it...just PM me.

Btaylor

WKR
To me there has been a missing component to this discussion and that is the level of tuning for each setup. A really well tuned rig will drive a lighter arrow through an animal where a less than perfectly tuned rig may not drive a heavier arrow through and for sure won't drive a light arrow through. I tend to lean towards I guess I would call it a middle ground arrow at 460 grains running right at 285 fps. Haven't shot an elk yet but have absolute confidence that it will get the job done.

Scoot

WKR
I think you just manufactured and false premise and based your argument upon it. You even went to far as to quote (even included "") to something that was never said or written here.

Notice how it was put in quotes and referred to as "sentiment"? The use of quotation marks are not strictly used for direct quotes. It was to indicate the paraphrasing of what you said, thus the word "sentiment" at the end.

You've been banned from damn near every hunting website out there- I don't expect you to stick around here long. Of course you've been reading internet posts for "41 years" and you already know this! Bwahahaha!

Last edited:
I shoot a 432 grain arrow out of my compounds and about a 550 grain arrow out of my trad bow I hunt with. The compound is pulling 70 pounds at 27 inches and, my longbow is 58 at 28. I'd prefer my compound arrows be heavier. However, i just got back into hunting with them and the x7 aluminum's I used before, that give me a finished weight of 520 grains or so, are now outrageously expensive. So, I went with a Beman carbon that gives me that finished weight.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
Carbon express maxima red sd

9.4 GPI at 29 = 272.6
Launch pad precision nock 10.4 grains
Bull dog nock collar 4 grains
Half out insert 44 grains
Blazer vane 6grains
125 point
474grains
266 speed

HookUp

WKR
Blach Eagle Spartan with four fletch and 125 grain broadhead. I'm right at 460-475 depending on which fetching I use. Shot my first critter at 50 yards. Whitetail buck with a slick trick expandable. Arrow stopped at the far side rib cage deer didn't go 30 yards and died in a puddle of blood. I will be using fixed heads for elk and will probably stick with expandables for deer.

Gumbo

WKR
Personally I'm a middle of the road guy right now with 455gr arrows. I would LOVE to shoot a heavier arrow, but I also want reasonable pin gaps at 50-60 and 60-70. If I shot a 1 or 2 pin sight I'd go heavier for sure, but I like a 5 or 6 pin moveable sight for hunting. To me it is all about efficiency and balance in my system and preferences. I want penetration but am a 28.5 inch draw, can't effectively pull 80 pounds, don't like turbos/short braces, and like reasonable pin gaps, so I have to sacrifice some arrow weight. And I like the quality of BE Rampages, so I am limited in GPI, but I do run a 75 gr HIT insert in them. I did have a season with poor penetration two years ago using mechanicals (hypodermics) so I went back to fixed blades.

Anyway, my arrows get the job done in my setup provided I do my job and the animal holds still. Unfortunately neither of these are certainties.

2blade

WKR
I waterproof my feathers. Never have issue with rain. Here is a video I made of how and the advantages of it.

[video=youtube;sR86pVKNyi4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR86pVKNyi4&index=23&list=UUrDKSMxGGaa59V0uZPABJ6Q[/video]

I shoot my 700 grain arrows out to 70 yards and have never taken game beyond 65 yards so it fits with my hunting style.

Ive been bowhunting for more than 41 years and have killed deer and bear with arrows as slow as 147 FPS and as fast as 305. I like to blow through animals so 700 grains of arrow for me.

Sharp Things, you wanna share how you get those feathers so water proof?

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
To me there has been a missing component to this discussion and that is the level of tuning for each setup. A really well tuned rig will drive a lighter arrow through an animal where a less than perfectly tuned rig may not drive a heavier arrow through and for sure won't drive a light arrow through. I tend to lean towards I guess I would call it a middle ground arrow at 460 grains running right at 285 fps. Haven't shot an elk yet but have absolute confidence that it will get the job done.

So true! Tuning is an essential component, I should’ve mentioned that, but it should be (though isn’t always) a given in any arrow setup! Without proper tuning, any arrow weight won’t reach its potential.