Ideal Arrow Weight?

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Sharp Things, you wanna share how you get those feathers so water proof?

The product used is displayed in that video link. (at the end)

[video=youtube;sR86pVKNyi4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR86pVKNyi4&index=23&list=UUrDKSMxGGaa59V0uZPABJ6Q[/video]

cnelk

WKR
I know this is archery thread, but when it comes to 'perfect arrow weight', I compare it to reloading my high powered rifles.
I cant max out the powder and bullet weight and get good groups. I try different loads and weights to see what my rifle likes the best.

Shooting an arrow is not much different. There are things that your bow will like and things it wont.
Hell, Ive had to drop my poundage 1lb to get the results I wanted [just like reloading]

Ive settled on 62lb draw, 27.5" draw length and a 420gr arrow - works for me.

And remember, just how boring would the internet be if everyone shot a 500gr arrow? :)

Trial153

WKR
Broadhead choice plays a huge roll in penetration. Slip a COC head and you can definitely shoot a more moderate weight arrow if you use a well designed COC head. It’s all about compromise.

jmez

WKR
28.5 to 29 inch draw depending on the bow I'm shooting. 515gr arrow. I try to keep mine above 500. I have no idea what the speed is, I don't ever shoot through a chrono and don't even consider it when building my arrows.

What is an ideal arrow weight? There is no such thing. You need to find what works with your set up and performs well on what you are shooting. A very subjective question with basically no facts to back it up. Two guys shooting the exact same set up other than one shoots 450gr and the other 550gr. They both pull their arrows out of the dirt after every critter they shoot, which is ideal? Could be a very real scenario.

I base my choice on the experiences I've had bowhunting. The longer I'm in archery the heavier my arrows get. I haven't decreased my arrow weight in I don't know how long. Compromises with everything, my rig isn't the fastest out there but I don't want it to be. My arrows aren't the heaviest out there but don't know that I want them to be. Not fully convinced that we all shouldn't be shooting arrows significantly heavier than we are other than the guy chasing water buffalo.

Pretty hard to argue the virtues of a lighter arrow when anyone going after, big, tough game that usually bites back uses nothing but ridiculously heavy arrows. No one worries about "speed" of an arrow when going after a cape buffalo. They shoot slow, but those arrows have a real hard time stopping.

I can use a 7 pin fixed sight to 80 yards or a slider to 120 (as far as I've tried) with a 515gr arrow. They arc pretty good at that distance but I have a range finder and pin. I can't remember the last critter I took a shot at that I didn't know the distance within a couple of yards.

The big advantages I see with a heavier arrow, bow noise, performance on game, accuracy/forgiveness, and target life. When I bumped up to around 500gr, my target life span went down exponentially. The heavier arrows really eat up targets at a faster rate. They are hitting harder and doing more damage.

Doesn't mean I shoot the ideal arrow weight. It works for me. Other weights/combos work well for others.