Ideal Arrow Weight?

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
What is your idea for an idea arrow weight for both elk and deer hunting? Something middle of the road as far as weight and speed?

Last edited:

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I’m curious what bow setup (Draw Length & Weight) everyone is shooting and what arrow setup they use along with that.

What is the “ideal” setup in your mind?

I made a video on this topic (shared below) and I’m curious to hear everyone’s thoughts on their ideal setup!

If I use a compound, I shoot 65 lbs with a 29 inch draw. My total projectile weight is 700 grains with a 250 grain,single bevel broadhead for 22.5% FOC.

Once you get over 500 grains you see real improvement in penetration. Once you get over 19% FOC you can steer any broadhead on the market. I like feathers because they are light on the back end of the arrow. Plastic is too heavy (I think the ones you use in your video are about 10 grains each) The feathers I use are 2 grains each.

I dont give a ratz rear about speed or arrow arch during flight. So long as the arrow gets there by the end of the season, I'm ok since I care about what happens once the arrow gets there (penetration). Never was one to fall for the whole speed fad that so many fell for.

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
If I use a compound, I shoot 65 lbs with a 29 inch draw. My total projectile weight is 700 grains with a 250 grain,single bevel broadhead for 22.5% FOC.

Once you get over 500 grains you see real improvement in penetration. Once you get over 19% FOC you can steer any broadhead on the market. I like feathers because they are light on the back end of the arrow. Plastic is too heavy (I think the ones you use in your video are about 10 grains each) The feathers I use are 2 grains each.

I dont give a ratz rear about speed or arrow arch during flight. So long as the arrow gets there by the end of the season, I'm ok since I care about what happens once the arrow gets there (penetration). Never was one to fall for the whole speed fad that so many fell for.

My biggest complaint with feathers is the lack of durability and weather resistance. I haven’t personally had issues steering Broadheads even with only a slightly higher than average FOC, but if I did I would certainly load up the weight up front like you said.

I like a balance between penetration and speed because I hunt whitetail so much, and I also like to be able to practice out to 90-100 yards. With my sight, I wouldn’t be able to shoot past 70 or so with that heavy of an arrow, but I appreciate the perspective! It’s always good to hear a differing perspective on technical parts of archery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want my arrow to travel between 265 and 280 FPS. Anything slower and it is hard to get 100 yards out of my rig. Any faster and my tuning expertise reaches its end. With my current setup I’m at a 470 grain arrow. I like to load up for FOC, so I buy a lighter GPI shaft and load up the front. Right now I shoot black eagle carnivores with 92 grains worth of insert weight and a 100 grain head.

I only hunt whitetail and pigs, so I may change once it is time to shoot elk.

Gobbler36

WKR
I shoot compound also
70lbs @ 28.5 and running a 650g axis pro 100g brass insert 150g VPA 3 blade with aae max stealths. Has been my favorite arrow build yet. I really like arrow builds that start around that 550g mark and up from there. Like stated above and if your bow is tuned well fixed blades just start flying so much better for at a little slower pace and heavier FOC.

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
I want my arrow to travel between 265 and 280 FPS. Anything slower and it is hard to get 100 yards out of my rig. Any faster and my tuning expertise reaches its end. With my current setup I’m at a 470 grain arrow. I like to load up for FOC, so I buy a lighter GPI shaft and load up the front. Right now I shoot black eagle carnivores with 92 grains worth of insert weight and a 100 grain head.

I only hunt whitetail and pigs, so I may change once it is time to shoot elk.

Right along the lines of my thoughts. I think that’s a very versatile weight that strikes a good balance between speed and penetration. I bet that’s a killer setup!

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
After more than 41 years of bowhunting Ive seen every fad out there. Ive tried them all. Ive tried all the philosophies and am always experimenting and testing and weeding out the crap from the sound concepts. Since the dawn of time, it's been a self evident truth that heavy arrows go deeper and as a result cause more damage and result in an exit hole. With that comes a quieter bow and better arrow steerage. I always plan for the worst case and build arrow packages with the expectations that the worst will happen, like hitting heavy bone or hard quartering angles will be encountered and I do what is necessary to counter the worst case and build with that in mind. When the stars align and everything goes well, I'm left digging my arrow out of a tree or out of the earth but I plan for the worst.

This Russian bore hunt is an example. I planned for a quartering away shot and things didn’t work out as planned but thanks to a heavy arrow, I was picking my arrow up out of the snow after blowing through the off side shoulder. Heavy arrows helped my take a 1,000 bull in Hawaii and will hopefully be to my advantage on water buffalo in 10 days.

[video=youtube;5O1xjZDeFfQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O1xjZDeFfQ&list=UUrDKSMxGGaa59V0uZPABJ6Q&index=11]Ron's January 2018 archery hog movie - YouTube[/video]

Beendare

WKR
Ideal Arrow Weight

I would disagree with the OP's "Ideal"

I think most guys are best served with an arrow thats a minimum of 450gr. IME from seeing hundreds of animals die to an arrow; Arrow performance matters!

Its funny....you never hear an educated rifle hunter say, "Bullet performance doesn't matter"...why is it many bowhunters only care about trajectory and not their arrows performance?

That said, each bowhunter needs to decide which criteria to emphasize to come up with their own "Ideal"

So take me as an example; I've learned over the years that the tradeoff of speed for a louder bow isn't worth it. Flat trajectory comes at a cost...and the cost isn't worth the sacrifices. If its a long shot where a couple yards in range makes a difference; those scenarios in the field I always have time to use rangefinder....and on the close shots trajectory is a non factor.

Thus I will take the heavier arrow all day long for the many advantages...with the only disadvantage being a little bit of trajectory loss at long range....a non factor in the way I hunt. YMMV

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
After more than 41 years of bowhunting Ive seen every fad out there. Ive tried them all. Ive tried all the philosophies and am always experimenting and testing and weeding out the crap from the sound concepts. Since the dawn of time, it's been a self evident truth that heavy arrows go deeper and as a result cause more damage and result in an exit hole. With that comes a quieter bow and better arrow steerage. I always plan for the worst case and build arrow packages with the expectations that the worst will happen, like hitting heavy bone or hard quartering angles will be encountered and I do what is necessary to counter the worst case and build with that in mind. When the stars align and everything goes well, I'm left digging my arrow out of a tree or out of the earth but I plan for the worst.

This Russian bore hunt is an example. I planned for a quartering away shot and things didn’t work out as planned but thanks to a heavy arrow, I was picking my arrow up out of the snow after blowing through the off side shoulder. Heavy arrows helped my take a 1,000 bull in Hawaii and will hopefully be to my advantage on water buffalo in 10 days.

[video=youtube;5O1xjZDeFfQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O1xjZDeFfQ&list=UUrDKSMxGGaa59V0uZPABJ6Q&index=11]Ron's January 2018 archery hog movie - YouTube[/video]

For sure, like I said if I hunted larger game consistently I would go heavier. I’m sure it’s great for your purposes, but I hunt elk every few years, other than that it’s strictly whitetails, and for whitetails a 450 grain arrow is plenty heavy. (In my experience) I’ve only ever gotten pass-through shots on every deer I’ve shot. It works for me, for now anyway.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
As you mature and go through the years and encounter all sorts of hunting scenarios, you will arrive at realizations that an old guy cant convince you of on a chat room. You will have to come to them on your own. Give it time. I base my comments on first hand experience with a couple hundred deer and many bear and some pigs and Feral cattle and buffalo and soon, water buffalo. We arrive at our conclusions based on first hand experiences.

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
I would disagree with the OP's "Ideal"

I think most guys are best served with an arrow thats a minimum of 450gr. IME from seeing hundreds of animals die to an arrow; Arrow performance matters!

Its funny....you never hear an educated rifle hunter say, "Bullet performance doesn't matter"...why is it many bowhunters only care about trajectory and not their arrows performance?

That said, each bowhunter needs to decide which criteria to emphasize to come up with their own "Ideal"

So take me as an example; I've learned over the years that the tradeoff of speed for a louder bow isn't worth it. Flat trajectory comes at a cost...and the cost isn't worth the sacrifices. If its a long shot where a couple yards in range makes a difference; those scenarios in the field I always have time to use rangefinder....and on the close shots trajectory is a non factor.

Thus I will take the heavier arrow all day long for the many advantages...with the only disadvantage being a little bit of trajectory loss at long range....a non factor in the way I hunt. YMMV

Very true! Like I said in the video, that is (in my mind) an ideal “middle of the road” arrow weight for people who want a faster arrow for whitetail that is also capable of harvesting elk. 450-470 is what most whitetail hunters would consider an insanely heavy arrow. Elk hunters may not see that as heavy at all, it’s all based on the situation.

By no means did I mean that this is ideal for every situation, (perhaps I could have clarified that a bit more) but I hunt 99% whitetail and 1% elk, so shooting a super heavy arrow doesn’t exactly fit my needs like it would for a western hunter who needs penetration above all. There’s certainly no perfect arrow, each person has to decide what is most important for them and their hunting needs. Thanks for the comment! I love hearing feedback.

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
As you mature and go through the years and encounter all sorts of hunting scenarios, you will arrive at realizations that an old guy cant convince you of on a chat room. You will have to come to them on your own. Give it time. I base my comments on first hand experience with a couple hundred deer and many bear and some pigs and Feral cattle and buffalo and soon, water buffalo. We arrive at our conclusions based on first hand experiences.

Couldn’t agree more. Experience shapes opinions, each person has different needs for their differing hunting experiences, and I think your setup is excellent for your style of big game hunting. Thanks again for the comments!

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
450-470 is what most whitetail hunters would consider an insanely heavy arrow.

WHAT?? :confused:

No. No, its not. out of a 70 Lb bow that's a light weight 6.5 grains per pound.

5 to 6 grains per pound is light weight

7 and 8 is mid weight

9 and up is a heavy weight.

Im at about 11 grains per pound.

Last edited:

Gobbler36

WKR
Very true! Like I said in the video, that is (in my mind) an ideal “middle of the road” arrow weight for people who want a faster arrow for whitetail that is also capable of harvesting elk. 450-470 is what most whitetail hunters would consider an insanely heavy arrow. Elk hunters may not see that as heavy at all, it’s all based on the situation.

By no means did I mean that this is ideal for every situation, (perhaps I could have clarified that a bit more) but I hunt 99% whitetail and 1% elk, so shooting a super heavy arrow doesn’t exactly fit my needs like it would for a western hunter who needs penetration above all. There’s certainly no perfect arrow, each person has to decide what is most important for them and their hunting needs. Thanks for the comment! I love hearing feedback.

Faster and trajectory on whitetails isn’t even an argument man. You need to look at he trajectory differences between 450g and 650g at normal hunting distances. The differences are so small that you really aren’t gaining any trajectory advantages between the two but with a heavier arrow you gain a lot better penetration and quietness with a heavy arrow which in my mind is anything above 600g. 450 is a light arrow not middle of the road.

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider

No. No, its not. out of a 70 Lb bow that a light weight 6.5 grains per pound.

7 and 8 is mid weight

I get the impression you just enjoy disagreeing with me, but what I’m trying to explain is that where I live, and what I hunt, I do not know many people at all that shoot over an 8.4 grains per inch arrow. I’m sure they exist, but I haven’t met many of them here in the east. Unfortunately, for whitetail guys, heavy arrows are not emphasized the way they are for western big game.

So maybe it’s not heavy by your standards, and maybe it’s not heavy for my bow setup but compared to a lot of people I know that hunt where I do- my arrows (just shy of 500 grains) are heavy (again, it’s all relative)

I sincerely appreciate your perspective, but I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind! The whole point of my video is to explain that going a little bit heavier is a GOOD thing!

Sounds to me like we both have a system that works very well for us, and that’s all we could ever hope for!

Happy hunting!

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
Faster and trajectory on whitetails isn’t even an argument man. You need to look at he trajectory differences between 450g and 650g at normal hunting distances. The differences are so small that you really aren’t gaining any trajectory advantages between the two but with a heavier arrow you gain a lot better penetration and quietness with a heavy arrow which in my mind is anything above 600g. 450 is a light arrow not middle of the road.

It’s not heavy for western hunting, but as I mentioned in a previous comment, my arrows (just shy of 500 grains) are heavy by the standards of where I live and what I hunt. Most people I know shoot an 8.4 grain per inch arrow, to me, that is very light. Mine, at 10.7 grains per inch is middle of the road, especially with additional 50 grain inserts.

...Which is why the point of my video was that heavier IS better in a lot of cases! I’m encouraging people to add weight and not worry about speed!

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
I get the impression you just enjoy disagreeing with me,

No. Ive just been doing this bowhunting thing for longer (X2) than you have been alive so when I see somebody dispensing bad info, I speak up. Its nothing personal. You just have limited horizons based on a very short window of experience. I have hunting gear that is older than you.

but what I’m trying to explain is that where I live, and what I hunt, I do not know many people at all that shoot over an 8.4 grains per inch arrow. I’m sure they exist, but I haven’t met many of them here in the east. Unfortunately, for whitetail guys, heavy arrows are not emphasized the way they are for western big game.

I dont hunt elk. I dont live in the west. I hunt Wisconsin whitetail and bear and other game in Hawaii, Texas, Mich.

Scoot

WKR

No. No, its not. out of a 70 Lb bow that's a light weight 6.5 grains per pound.

7 and 8 is mid weight

A few things-- 1) in general, ST, I agree with much of what you're saying (although I think you are applying an "if a little is good, a lot is better" mentality), 2) I believe Galin is right and you are wrong- a lot of whitetail hunters would consider that weight as a really heavy arrow, 3) can you tell me who made you king of arrow weight categorization such that you can pronounce as fact the different categories of arrow weight? :rolleyes: , and finally 4) your 41 years of archery experience means you've hunted for a long time. However, you're not close the most experienced bowhunter most of us know and for that matter you're not even most experienced bowhunter on this thread!

You make some good points and have some great experience to offer. You might consider toning down the "I've hunted for 41 years and I know a hell of lot more than you morons" sentiment if you want people to take you seriously.

Have a nice day.