Camping with family around Pocatello in June with family heading to YNP?

I might regret this, but booked a camp spot in Yellowstone in mid-June. Haven't been in almost 15 years, but the kids are at the right age to enjoy all the sites and my wife has never been. I've heard the park is a zoo now with crowds, but giving it a shot.

We'll leave eastern Oregon on a Monday and have a camp spot in the park booked on Tuesday. It's a 9hr drive via Boise-Twin-Poc-West YS.
Looking to break up the drive and find a decent spot to camp along the way somewhere around Pocatello. Yes, google searching brings up some options but I figured someone here would be able to give me solid advice from a more local perspective.

Any advice for a camp spot along the way? I'll be towing a pop-up camper. Something decent for the kids, maybe a spot that has swimming options if the weather is warm. My little ones love to swim and my wife loves hot springs if that's an option.

PM me if you prefer not to give away any secrets.

Thanks!

It's about 30 minutes out of your way, but Lava Hot Springs has hot pools, swimming pool, campsites, and hotels. It's a great family place.

CorbLand

WKR
Lava was the place that came to mind but it’s going to be the opposite direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No advice on campsites along the way, but I was at Yellowstone over the 4th of July last year. Was it crowded - yes, but we played the game and beat the crowds for the most part.

We had where we wanted to go, and what we wanted to do, planned out each day; woke up early, had a quick breakfast of pre-made burritos or oatmeal and were on the road as the sun was rising. We kept the cooler with snacks/drinks/lunch in the car at all times; and I would highly recommend this so you don't have to drive - potentially an hour or more back to camp just to grab lunch. We were basically done with our day, and saw what we wanted to see by between 1-3., (i.e. mammoth - 1 day, Norris Geyser Basin - 1 day, Old Faithful/surrounding area - 1 day), you get the idea. Then we spent the rest of the day, fly fishing and relaxing by a river.

Don't know how young your kids are, but you could do this routine every other day. On your 'off' days, get a later start - make a bigger breakfast, hang around camp more, etc.

It's about 30 minutes out of your way, but Lava Hot Springs has hot pools, swimming pool, campsites, and hotels. It's a great family place.

I will agree with bluetick78 about Lava Hot Springs. You can float the river, go to the hot springs, or go to the swimming pool. There are plenty of areas for your pop up and even a KOA. Only other place I can think of is Island Park area, but that would be on the way to West Yellowstone. If you are looking for a more traditional camping experience, there are a few FS and BLM campgrounds fairly close to Pocatello. If you are interested in specific locations, feel free to pm me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
Shoshone Falls by Twin Falls is a must see. A couple of miles south of I84, spectacular falls higher than Niagara, picnic area, hiking trails ect...
Great stop to stretch the kids legs

OP
F
Thanks guys! Booked a camp spot at one of the campgrounds near Lava HS.
Shoshone Falls looks nice. I'll make a stop there for sure on the way.

Thanks!