Learn from my Ignorance - AZ Draw System

I just wanted to put something out there that will hopefully keep other nonresidents from trying what I did this year. To break it down this is my first year applying in AZ. I read the regulations, built an account, and began entering my 2 choices for ELK. All of was good! I purchased my Nonresident License and selected my 2 choices and paid into the system then received receipts. Well where I went wrong is I went back into the system again and instead of choosing the choices I chose purchase Bonus Point just to see what the system would allow. I do know that you can't do both in the same year still I wanted to see what it would do; stupid me. Well I went all the way through it and to my surprise it let me purchase a bonus point so I decided WHY NOT?....Wrong. The system ended up letting me do both without rejecting and the state took the money for all 3 the license, the draw application, and the bonus point 2/12/2018.

Weeks go by and I got to review my dashboard and I see No license, The dreaded "Darn IT" you didn't get drawn, and finally the Awww no bonus points for you! Trifecta right !?! Well I called the agency today and it turns out when I did both all in same day it completely voided my entire years worth of pay, the state of Arizona kept all the money, and cancelled every thing out as if I never even had an account.

So again learn from my mistake. Be cautious and don't think the system is letting you just because it lets your through and takes the money. My ignorance and curiosity cost me money and an entire years worth of applying. This was all at the expense of not following directions....simple as that!

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to hear that. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll be applying for the AZ mule deer draw for the first time this year as well.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
That is pretty stand up of you to admit that and allow others to learn from your mistakes.

I don’t take ANY chances—just try to hit straight down the fairway!

Beendare

WKR
I have a buddy that had something like 12 points...and he accidentally put in the wrong hunt code for a cow tag....oh yeah, he drew

lets just say its not good from there......

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for your contribution to conservation.

But in all seriousness....ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
That is pretty stand up of you to admit that and allow others to learn from your mistakes.

I don’t take ANY chances—just try to hit straight down the fairway!
HAHA At times I am a risk taker. For me that's what has sometimes been the key to getting animals on the ground and in the cooler. I thought this was a safe calculated move but it turns out it wasn't.

Idaho has a one year waiting period after drawing an antlered deer or elk tag. So if you drew an antlered elk tag in 2016, you are not eligible in 2017....etc. However, if you go ahead and buy a license in 2017 and apply for an antlered elk tag, they will most certainly take your money, but during the actual drawing your name will be kicked out as "ineligible". Probably a real money maker for the state.

OP
T
Are they going to refund any of the money? I think they should, but sometimes AZGFD doesn't do what you expect...
Nagh the customer service rep said no refunds whatsoever. She could have been less abrasive and not tried to consistently talk over me but she stated I should have read my regs. Not the most kind person but hell she could have been having a bad day and I was a good opportunity for her to release aggression on me. I admitted to her I did read the regs but when the system was letting me go through with it I second guessed myself thinking I may have read them wrong. Typically in my experience you will be blocked and I figure it out by process but in this case nope. Right now I'm waiting to see if I at least get the license put back on my dashboard so that I can maybe purchase another game animal bonus point.

Last edited:

RoJo

WKR
Nagh the customer service rep said no refunds whatsoever. She could have been less abrasive and not tried to consistently talk over me but she stated I should have read my regs. Not the most kind person but hell she could have been having a bad day and I was a good opportunity for her to release aggression on me. I admitted to her I did read the regs but when the system was letting me go through with it I second guessed myself thinking I may have read them wrong. Typically in my experience you will be blocked and I figure it out by process but in this case nope. Right now I'm waiting to see if I at least get the license put back on my dashboard so that I can maybe purchase another game animal bonus point.

Yeah, they should at the very least fix the license thing. And I think you should get a bonus point as well since they took your money. You might try calling back, maybe get a friendlier, more cooperative CSR. They are usually pretty helpful.

wapitibob

WKR
They can't keep your license money and not give you a license. I'll call here in a bit, I need to talk to them anyway about some stuff.

Takem

WKR
In my experience they have the worst online system with the highest probability of making a mistake. You should get your bonus point.

weaver

WKR
I understand your application being tossed out but would at least expect a valid hunting license out of the deal.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
T
I called back in and got a dude that said he would look into it. Just checked and I now show to possess a valid license.

Trial153

WKR
I can see voiding your draws and your point. However I can’t see you not being in possession of your purchased license. At the very least if you have that you can apply for the rest of the draws for the year.

Yeah, they ain't giving the license money back. They know why you submitted to the elk draw and, since you pushed the limits they are going to burn you with that knowledge So, apply for everything you can with your license this year.