The Old "Snip-Snip"

jbsmith1

FNG
5 years ago for me
Very attractive prep nurse shaved my thigh, slapped the grounding pad on and slopped iodine everywhere
Doc numbed the boys up, and then electrocuted the f**k out of me when he activated the scalpel
It didn't hurt per se, I just couldn't move anything
Doc sort of shouts/loudly states "RELAX", to which I tried to reply, but mostly mumbled through clenched teeth
He finally figures out whats going on and releases the foot pedal
He then re-shaves the spot on my thigh to a much more suitable size for the grounding pad
Away we go on attempt number two
Fifteen minutes later, we're done

I don't regret it and only really have two gripes, and, no, being electrocuted isn't one of them. I absolutely hate the stubble period for pubic hair, so damn annoying. The second gripe has to do with blue balls. Of course we've all had them at some point in time, but I know they are worse now than they were before. I don't know if that's directly related, but the timing sure seems appropriate to me. That's not to say I get them often. I have a very healthy sex life with the wifey, but included in that is certainly a time here and there where it is simply teasing and nothing more. Those are the days I know I'm going to be in a little bit more pain than before the snip.

I'd do it again tomorrow, if needed.

I wasn’t prepared for all the smoke and charred meat smell from when he cauterized my tubes. Seriously. Seriously.

My doc was also flying solo for my procedure because his hot nurse was out that day. It felt like a bait and switch. During the procedure he starts talking about how he was doing these on solider souring Vietnam. I did the math and realized he was mid 70s maybe pushing 80. I like my doctors with experience but he was a bit long in the tooth to be cutting on my junk.

Had mine done August 2017. Got 2 girls that are 3 and 6, no desire for more kids or to try for a boy. In and out of office in 30 minutes. Drove myself there and home. No pain meds, just Tylenol and an ice pack the rest of the afternoon. Went fishing, canoeing and hiking the next day. Mild discomfort for a few days following the procedure. No swelling or issues for me. I had mine done on a Friday. Back at work on Monday with no problems.

OP
ndbwhunter
Thank you for all of the stories and information! I've never been one to flaunt the boys, so I'm hoping attendance will be limited. I've heard horror stories about the pain and discomfort, but it seems like everything is usually fine for the most part.

I'll have to talk to the wife about it and make sure she's ok with it. We're both in our early to mid 30's so I'm really hoping that she wants to be done now. Not to mention the fact that daycare is so damn expensive and really cuts into my hunting/gear budget!

Not to throw icewater on this whole deal, but make absolutely sure you do not want any more kids. The actual procedure is covered by insurance in almost every case (much cheaper for them than having more kids). I had mine done, we had two kids, that was all we wanted. Not going to go into a lot of detail, but one of them died. Obviously not a pleasant experience.

It is pretty pricey to have reversed, the insurance won't pay. We went really cheap (local anesthetic, no stay, etc,) and it still cost about $8k all out of pocket to have it reversed. So about 5 years after the vasectomy I had it done(we now have a great 16 year old).

Oh ...the actual vasectomy is NOTHING compared to getting it reversed. They actually have to take the testicles out and repair the vas via microsurgery(no jokes here....lol). Recovery time is much longer. I made the mistake of going back to work (desk job) after only one extra day off. I was black and blue and swollen from mid thigh up.

All I can say based on my experience is really make sure you are happy with your situation and as painful as it is, have the discussion about what if....We did but it truthfully didn't enter my wifes mind when we had it that we could have a tragedy like we did.

As other have said, it's a relatively easy and quick procedure. I would have really appreciated some valium though to chill out a bit. I was pretty nervous, but it turned out to not be so bad. Some soreness and discomfort showed up later that first day, but it was manageable.

Don't think you're superman. Follow the doctor's advice. I know guys who felt fine and mowed the lawn, tinkered in the garage, etc and regretted it. Chill out on the couch with a bag of frozen peas and watch Office re-runs or Randy Newberg Fresh Tracks. My biggest regret was not scheduling the procedure during March Madness.

Make sure your decision is final though. I had a friend who changed his mind and did the reversal- he said it's way more painful than the original procedure. It worked for him and they had another kid, but the reversal doesn't always work.

Be sure to do the followup and get checked- what is it- 6 mo later.

It doesn't always work.....

Heck, I had a friend that did all the tests to confirm no swimmers, and about a year later they still got pregnant. Apparently the tubes healed themselves and re-attached. It's a very low percentage, but it does happen. Make me nervous...

OP
ndbwhunter
Not to throw icewater on this whole deal, but make absolutely sure you do not want any more kids. The actual procedure is covered by insurance in almost every case (much cheaper for them than having more kids). I had mine done, we had two kids, that was all we wanted. Not going to go into a lot of detail, but one of them died. Obviously not a pleasant experience.

It is pretty pricey to have reversed, the insurance won't pay. We went really cheap (local anesthetic, no stay, etc,) and it still cost about $8k all out of pocket to have it reversed. So about 5 years after the vasectomy I had it done(we now have a great 16 year old).

Oh ...the actual vasectomy is NOTHING compared to getting it reversed. They actually have to take the testicles out and repair the vas via microsurgery(no jokes here....lol). Recovery time is much longer. I made the mistake of going back to work (desk job) after only one extra day off. I was black and blue and swollen from mid thigh up.

All I can say based on my experience is really make sure you are happy with your situation and as painful as it is, have the discussion about what if....We did but it truthfully didn't enter my wifes mind when we had it that we could have a tragedy like we did.

I'm sorry to hear that! That is the only thing that's really holding me back from having it done right now. I still look at all of the "what if" scenarios, and will certainly need to discuss those with the wife.

Had mine done after my second girl was born. At the time, I had an 11 year old step daughter, a 5 year old daughter and a 2 year old daughter. I was outnumbered and didn't want to increase the odds. I had mine done as outpatient surgery. They knocked me completely out. Woke up with a "ball bra" on. I had to return to work a couple days later. The boys were sore, but tolerable.

Cost of frozen bags of peas to help after the procedure. $6

Cost of the procedures out of pocket expenses. $400

Cost of the look on the nurses face when you drop off the "sample" that verifies the procedure was successful. PRICELESS

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I was naturally pretty apprehensive about the whole procedure leading up to it and was actually considering canceling. What pushed me over the edge to have it done was this. My buddy came to work and said he got to talking with the cable guy who was at his house doing some work. Apparently the Cable guy was all set to have it done and backed out at the last minute, cable guy and his wife go out on the town one ST. Patrick's day..... well..... they ended up with TWINS!!!

This terrified me to no end and decided it had to be done.

akak510

FNG
Had the scalpel method done in Jan. Procedure is very easy. I listened to others who had done it that didn't rest properly and had painful complications. I sat on ice for two days and watched TV. I didn't have any problems at all. At most minor discomfort similar to getting your nuts flicked but not severe.

the most painful part is the numbing shots. like 10 per side and they hurt!!! after that, no big deal. i had the DR a nurse and my wife in the room. the Dr cut a blood vessel and it will swell every few months a hurt for a week or so then goes away for awhile but I don't regret doing it one bit even with the screw up.

Scotto

WKR
Have someone drive you home. DO NOT drive your self home from this procedure.

Nuke Man

WKR
My wife and I just decided today actually that neither of is are going to get anything done. Mid 30's, 4 daughters but the side effects are too much for us to risk. Just make sure your willing to deal with the possible side effects. I know of atleast 5 guys in my shop that regret the procedure due to pain and discomfort still years later. Plus I know 2 guys that gad it reversed, not fun! A buddy of mine says everytime he jumps down out of a tractor or jumps over a crick or something it feels like his nuts are falling out. Nah I'll pass...

sveltri

WKR
I was in the same boat, 2 daughters, perfectly happy. My wife was breastfeeding girl #2 and SHE thought she couldn't get pregnant because of the breastfeeding. Anyway, I got my boy nine months later. He was born in March and I got it done in May. Like most of the other guys stated, don't be a jackass and try to do too much too soon. Keep the boys on ice for a couple days and you'll be good.

So, I was working with a new (to Alaska), Urologist a few years ago and we started talking about local activities and fishing. He said that he was really interested in doing a float trip and fly fishing for trout was his biggest passion. After a few minutes of chit chat, I asked him how many vasectomy's he routinely did and he stated "they're my bread and butter", so I jokingly said that if he would do a vasectomy on me, I'd take him on a float/fishing trip. Well to my surprise, he said that he would be available around lunch time that day to do the procedure, so if I wanted to stop in then he would go ahead and do it. Needless to say I went down to his clinic at lunch time, got the vasectomy, then back to work and finished out the rest of my day. It was super easy, virtually painless both during and after the procedure, and I've been shooting blanks ever since.:)

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
Got mine done on a Friday the first week of Dec 2017. Did the peas and sat around all weekend. No swelling, black/blue ect. Here I am almost 4 months later and still have some discomfort. I have the almond thing going on. I does seem to be better but it has been a very slow process for me. Hoping I'm all back to normal soon. Can't say that I wouldn't do it again as I am shooting blanks but I guess I'm one of the lucky few to not heal fast. I did the valium, that was good. Insurance paid for most of it.

nickstone

WKR
I had it done a few years ago, no problems. I had no desire for kids then nor now. There's plenty of kids out there that need good homes, you could always go to the kid pound and get one if you change your mind.