5 Things Wrong With the Hunting Industry in 2018

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I'm sure a lot of us see that there are problems within the hunting industry, what do you all see as some of the biggest? I'd love to hear your thoughts! I’m curious to hear what problems you guys think are most harmful to hunting today and how can we fix them before they become bigger issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SWOHTR

WKR
Agreed; I could write a lot here but I think you’ve covered a lot of the points.

The “bodybuilding bro” mentality runs me the wrong way (and I know Randy has talked about that too).

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Aside from #4, none of these are new to 2018 or even the 2000's. I don't know how to stop Chine from ripping legitimate companies off.

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
#6 Being Inundated by you tubers

Haha, to each his own, but I love free content personally. YouTube is a valuable resource to a lot of people who are just getting into hunting!

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
Aside from #4, none of these are new to 2018 or even the 2000's. I don't know how to stop Chine from ripping legitimate companies off.

I mentioned that in the description, I’m sure a lot of these problems have existed since the beginning of time, social media has just magnified the issues.

And Unfortunately and disappointingly, the specific company I was referring to in this video is an American company who simply produces their ripoff product overseas. That’s even more upsetting to me.

Number 5 - "People overusing the term conservation without actually participating in conservation efforts."

I get what you're trying to say but I just don't you worded it correctly. The RMEF has a slogan, obviously, and it's that "Hunting is conservation." You're saying that people hunting aren't actually participating in conservation efforts, and that's just not true. Should people perhaps join conservation groups and donate extra time/money? Sure, absolutely. But just by hunting and buying guns and ammo people are absolutely participating in conservation, and there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion. People that do that certainly contribute more to conservation than 80% of other people nationwide.

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
Number 5 - "People overusing the term conservation without actually participating in conservation efforts."

I get what you're trying to say but I just don't you worded it correctly. The RMEF has a slogan, obviously, and it's that "Hunting is conservation." You're saying that people hunting aren't actually participating in conservation efforts, and that's just not true. Should people perhaps join conservation groups and donate extra time/money? Sure, absolutely. But just by hunting and buying guns and ammo people are absolutely participating in conservation, and there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion. People that do that certainly contribute more to conservation than 80% of other people nationwide.

I think Hunting is a conservation tool, but I think hunting (which is typically done as a form of recreation) is far different from donating time and money to actual conservation efforts (stream cleanups, legal participation, etc) so yes, it is conservation for sure! But my point was that We can and should all do a little more, in a way that may not benefit us directly. Good point though!

V65Magna

FNG
Good video. Some of the things that resonate with me are the bashing that goes on with regard to how you choose to hunt (e.g., the crossbow vs. compound argument, etc.) and the shaming associated with things like "Why did you shoot that spike"? "Why didn't you let him go so he could grow" - type mentality. Hunting is one of those things that has been tainted by the virtue signaling and "self agrandizement" that social media has ushered into so many aspects of our lives.

For me, the bottom line is having fun and doing it in an ethical way. If I climb 23 feet in a tree, freeze my butt off for 3 hours and put a old Chuck Adams Super Slam through a 4 point buck with my ancient Q2, I'm happy as a clam and feel as if I accomplished something. I really don't give a rat's patoot what anyone else thinks.

To me, the biggest thing that has hurt our sport over the years is just plain greed and how territorial people have become. To a large extent, I think this has been driven by the litigous society we live in, and it started a long time ago. Personally, I got sick of getting into confrontations with other hunters, who argued and bickered over who can hunt where (when they have no business doing so). It happens all the time. Hunters should have a common bond, they should not be at odds with eachother.

So, I finally saved up enough money to buy my own land and guess what I did? - POSTED the SH&# out of it. But I also share it. Particularly with the guys that used to hunt it before I bought it and neighbors who are responsible and ask me for written permission. I've also gotten to the point in my hunting career where I'm more interested in seeing someone else succeed than getting that 10-point myself. I think this is a natural progression for many of of us.

A new guy started at work last fall. He's a mellinial kid with a PhD in public health and he asked me to take him hunting for the first time. He'll put his first round down range out of my .243 in a few weeks and I'll have him in my 2-man stand with me this fall. I can't wait to see the look on his face when he harvests his first deer.

Best,

V65Magna

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
Good video. Some of the things that resonate with me are the bashing that goes on with regard to how you choose to hunt (e.g., the crossbow vs. compound argument, etc.) and the shaming associated with things like "Why did you shoot that spike"? "Why didn't you let him go so he could grow" - type mentality. Hunting is one of those things that has been tainted by the virtue signaling and "self agrandizement" that social media has ushered into so many aspects of our lives.

For me, the bottom line is having fun and doing it in an ethical way. If I climb 23 feet in a tree, freeze my butt off for 3 hours and put a old Chuck Adams Super Slam through a 4 point buck with my ancient Q2, I'm happy as a clam and feel as if I accomplished something. I really don't give a rat's patoot what anyone else thinks.

To me, the biggest thing that has hurt our sport over the years is just plain greed and how territorial people have become. To a large extent, I think this has been driven by the litigous society we live in, and it started a long time ago. Personally, I got sick of getting into confrontations with other hunters, who argued and bickered over who can hunt where (when they have no business doing so). It happens all the time. Hunters should have a common bond, they should not be at odds with eachother.

So, I finally saved up enough money to buy my own land and guess what I did? - POSTED the SH&# out of it. But I also share it. Particularly with the guys that used to hunt it before I bought it and neighbors who are responsible and ask me for written permission. I've also gotten to the point in my hunting career where I'm more interested in seeing someone else succeed than getting that 10-point myself. I think this is a natural progression for many of of us.

A new guy started at work last fall. He's a mellinial kid with a PhD in public health and he asked me to take him hunting for the first time. He'll put his first round down range out of my .243 in a few weeks and I'll have him in my 2-man stand with me this fall. I can't wait to see the look on his face when he harvests his first deer.

Best,

V65Magna

Love it! So true. Fun (as long as it’s legal and ethical) is what it’s all about!

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
#6 Being Inundated by you tubers

Agreed. What could have been posted in typed form here suddenly has to be made into a video to boost viewership. I didn't want to be the first to post this observation but many others already had. Whats worse is the "if you like what you see, click subscribe"

tjthebest

FNG
Agreed. What could have been posted in typed form here suddenly has to be made into a video to boost viewership. I didn't want to be the first to post this observation but many others already had. Whats worse is the "if you like what you see, click subscribe"

Indeed, i didn't even watch the video because it could have just been typed here...

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider

You really have an axe to grind buddy, don’t you? You know you don’t have to watch my stuff, Right?

It would take paragraph after paragraph of text to get the same points across that I could summarize in a 5 minute video. If people enjoy my content, I’m encouraging them to subscribe so they can see more, not everyone knows the purpose of subscribing to a YouTube channel.

I receive thank you messages on a regular basis for making videos that aim to help people make more educated purchases, THAT is why I make videos. I don’t make any money, and I don’t get anything for doing it. I’m sorry if I’m bothering you so much, but with all due respect, feel free to keep scrolling.

You are the type of person that I’m talking about in the video, why do you need to spread negativity? Try commenting something nice or encouraging on someone’s post sometime, it‘s a lot more rewarding than having a problem with everything you see.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
This is going to sound really harsh. It will make some folks mad but this is an opinion sharing destination.

Youtube allows young millennials the ability to share unexceptional info and mundane opinions in a format (video) as if what they are saying is important or worthy of my 6 minutes (in this case). You watch the video and think to yourself, I want those wasted 6 minutes of my life Back since the video was of zero value and taught me nothing new, nor entertained me. Its one really long video of a guys opinion on a unimportant subject that he thought was worthy of putting in video form. Had it been typed as a comment, It would have been equally worthless so putting it in video form gives us the expectation that it was going to be something we could learn from or be entertained by. This video was neither. Young folks today want to be on TV and youtube allows them to put out useless content while they get to be on a screen talking. Then they crave validation and kudos and don't you dare be honest. You must give them a participation trophy or say nothing. Young kids today are into the selfies. This was a moving selfie.

Like I said, this was harsh and will make some mad. Perhaps it would have more impact if I would have made a youtube video of it.

Also. Some will say, if you don't like it then don't watch it. Well how am I supposed to know it was useless unless I watch it?

Also, if this were read word for word by an accomplished or notable hunting personality with at least a few years of experience under his belt I would have the same opinion.

FYI, I make a lot of youtube videos. I almost NEVER appear on them nor do I talk on them. ITs just pictures snd video and typed words.

Last edited:

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
#7 Advertising your youtube channel on rokslide.com, to promote more views, without being a sponsor and/or paid advertising

I have removed the link to your youtube channel, if you want to discuss these items please feel free to post your list in this thread, sorry but we do not allow free advertising, if you need further discussion about this feel free to PM administrative staff

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I think Hunting is a conservation tool, but I think hunting (which is typically done as a form of recreation) is far different from donating time and money to actual conservation efforts (stream cleanups, legal participation, etc) so yes, it is conservation for sure! But my point was that We can and should all do a little more, in a way that may not benefit us directly. Good point though!

I think it is easy to say ‘we could all do more’. Which is obviously true, but I feel pretty good about the fact my ‘hobby’ also benefits conservation efforts. I know even passively, my money is doing more than other people’s efforts, passive or active. I will not be made to feel guilty that my ‘hobby’ is not an active enough conservation effort. I feel people should try to do good where they can and be proud of it.

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
#7 Advertising your youtube channel on rokslide.com, to promote more views, without being a sponsor and/or paid advertising

I have removed the link to your youtube channel, if you want to discuss these items please feel free to post your list in this thread, sorry but we do not allow free advertising, if you need further discussion about this feel free to PM administrative staff

Was thinking about this... 4 Threads in the past week, 6 - 8 since the beginning of the year if you look back.

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
Was thinking about this... 4 Threads in the past week, 6 - 8 since the beginning of the year if you look back.

I removed all the links, I must have overlooked that in the Rokslide rules, I messaged him asking about deleting posts but it seems like you can only delete them in classifieds. My apologies, wasn’t trying to take advantage!

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member

Are you talking about people trying to advertise for free on RS? If so, we try our hardest to keep this from happening and appreciate help from our members to let us know when this is happening. We all want to keep RS from being spammy. Please be sure to PM one of the staff of moderators when you see this happening. Thank you!