5 Things Wrong With the Hunting Industry in 2018

Brendan

WKR
Are you talking about people trying to advertise for free on RS? If so, we try our hardest to keep this from happening and appreciate help from our members to let us know when this is happening. We all want to keep RS from being spammy. Please be sure to PM one of the staff of moderators when you see this happening. Thank you!

I actually just put it together this evening - tugrivercopper and some other members beat me to it here on this thread:

#7 Advertising your youtube channel on rokslide.com, to promote more views, without being a sponsor and/or paid advertising

I have removed the link to your youtube channel, if you want to discuss these items please feel free to post your list in this thread, sorry but we do not allow free advertising, if you need further discussion about this feel free to PM administrative staff

Galin started somewhere around 6-8 threads this year (4 in the last week) all directing people to reviews, videos, etc. on his own youtube channel. I'm sure he meant well, but still directing people from Rokslide to his own channel...

Not saying some of his topics aren't interesting discussion points, but not the best way to go about it.

Brendan

WKR
I removed all the links, I must have overlooked that in the Rokslide rules, I messaged him asking about deleting posts but it seems like you can only delete them in classifieds. My apologies, wasn’t trying to take advantage!

Said it above, I'm sure you meant well. Why not put together some of your content and submit it to RS and see if they publish one of your articles or videos? We can be a tough crowd, so that'd be a good barometer of how good your content is if that's where you're looking to go :D

OP
PA_Hunter8

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
Said it above, I'm sure you meant well. Why not put together some of your content and submit it to RS and see if they publish one of your articles or videos? We can be a tough crowd, so that'd be a good barometer of how good your content is if that's where you're looking to go :D

I must have completely misunderstood the way it works, I had no idea Video posting was considered advertising because I don’t make money on YouTube.

So Sorry everyone, thanks for calling me out!

It won’t happen again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I removed all the links, I must have overlooked that in the Rokslide rules, I messaged him asking about deleting posts but it seems like you can only delete them in classifieds. My apologies, wasn’t trying to take advantage!

You can delete your posts yourself. Just click on them and that option should show up.

Btaylor

WKR
This is going to sound really harsh. It will make some folks mad but this is an opinion sharing destination.

Youtube allows young millennials the ability to share unexceptional info and mundane opinions in a format (video) as if what they are saying is important or worthy of my 6 minutes (in this case). You watch the video and think to yourself, I want those wasted 6 minutes of my life Back since the video was of zero value and taught me nothing new, nor entertained me. Its one really long video of a guys opinion on a unimportant subject that he thought was worthy of putting in video form. Had it been typed as a comment, It would have been equally worthless so putting it in video form gives us the expectation that it was going to be something we could learn from or be entertained by. This video was neither. Young folks today want to be on TV and youtube allows them to put out useless content while they get to be on a screen talking. Then they crave validation and kudos and don't you dare be honest. You must give them a participation trophy or say nothing. Young kids today are into the selfies. This was a moving selfie.

Like I said, this was harsh and will make some mad. Perhaps it would have more impact if I would have made a youtube video of it.

Also. Some will say, if you don't like it then don't watch it. Well how am I supposed to know it was useless unless I watch it?

Also, if this were read word for word by an accomplished or notable hunting personality with at least a few years of experience under his belt I would have the same opinion.

FYI, I make a lot of youtube videos. I almost NEVER appear on them nor do I talk on them. ITs just pictures snd video and typed words.

If some one gave you a goose that laid golden eggs I imagine you would complain about how tough the breast were when you fried 'em.

Gobbler36

WKR
This is going to sound really harsh. It will make some folks mad but this is an opinion sharing destination.

Youtube allows young millennials the ability to share unexceptional info and mundane opinions in a format (video) as if what they are saying is important or worthy of my 6 minutes (in this case). You watch the video and think to yourself, I want those wasted 6 minutes of my life Back since the video was of zero value and taught me nothing new, nor entertained me. Its one really long video of a guys opinion on a unimportant subject that he thought was worthy of putting in video form. Had it been typed as a comment, It would have been equally worthless so putting it in video form gives us the expectation that it was going to be something we could learn from or be entertained by. This video was neither. Young folks today want to be on TV and youtube allows them to put out useless content while they get to be on a screen talking. Then they crave validation and kudos and don't you dare be honest. You must give them a participation trophy or say nothing. Young kids today are into the selfies. This was a moving selfie.

Like I said, this was harsh and will make some mad. Perhaps it would have more impact if I would have made a youtube video of it.

Also. Some will say, if you don't like it then don't watch it. Well how am I supposed to know it was useless unless I watch it?

Also, if this were read word for word by an accomplished or notable hunting personality with at least a few years of experience under his belt I would have the same opinion.

FYI, I make a lot of youtube videos. I almost NEVER appear on them nor do I talk on them. ITs just pictures snd video and typed words.

Couldn’t agree more.
Tired of everyone racing to be the next sponsored YouTuber and I kind of feel like it’s at the expense of our resources quality of hunting. Kinda miss the days where hunting was a fringe culture and no one was trying to make it more mainstream. Hunting has only been negatively impacted by social media and anyone that says they just want to help people with their videos has other motives. It’s strictly a business model, get everyone thinking there a backcountry billy badass and so they can watch all your gear reviews and payed for opinions.

But my point was that We can and should all do a little more, in a way that may not benefit us directly. Good point though!

Then say that. Don't say that hunters aren't participating in actual conservation, because we are. Tanya hit the nail on the head. Just rethink how you word it next time, I know that you mean well.

Last edited:

nrh6.7

WKR
If some one gave you a goose that laid golden eggs I imagine you would complain about how tough the breast were when you fried 'em.

Agreed. He's been a member for one week, has 100++ posts and seems to have zero problem speaking his mind or using condescension as his main tool. Tact, my friend, the word is called tact. Look it up and embrace it! Crazy thing is he seems to have tons of experience, but his delivery absolutely sucks. Seems like there are more and more new members that are coming from places that condone being a smart aleck.

I'll add that I am far from a long-time member here and many probably have more experience than I do, but I have enjoyed learing from the veterans here and the way many of them are quick to help others.

TheCougar

WKR
I didn’t watch the video, but I’m going to pick Flat Brims as the #1 thing wrong with hunting today. I also considered public lands issues, technology, lack of woodsmanship, hunter recruitment, commercialization, etc, but then I picked Flat Brims over all of those. #GoProXtremeHuntingInstaFaceMountainWarriorTrophySlayerClicktoSubscribe

I had to go search on YouTube to find the appropriate video after all the comments. Lol. Sorry for the long reply but there were 5 topics!

#1: Its not not sponsorship or endorsement deals that’s the problem, really - it’s the gullible guppy fanboys that swallow every drop of nonsense that falls from the lips of their hunting hero’s on TV. Like you yourself said, “you always assumed that....” That right there is the problem. You know what they say about assuming. If anyone reads magazine “reviews” and thinks they’re an actual critical, unbiased and unpaid review, they need to work on their reading comprehension. There hasn’t been a printed review that pointed out how badly the product sucked since the days of Jack Samson, Gene Hill and Ed Zern at Field & Stream magazine. That was the 70’s and 80’s for you really young guys.

Full disclosure- I make my living from hunting as an outfitter/guide but I’m also partially involved in the TV show end of things. I can’t say you’re entirely wrong but I can tell you that your statements are a gross over-simplification of the issue and that you completely left out the discussion of other facets of the debate. It’s like talking about the drug problem and blaming everything on the dealers without discussing the addicts and the demand they fuel, the disease of addiction and all the contributing social factors. Not to mention all the GOOD things that “professional” media and the big manufacturers do for hunters and hunting behind the scenes. Most people don’t have a clue about how the outdoor TV business works. What you tried to address in 2 minutes couldn’t be touched with a 2 hour discussion/debate with 5 industry folks. I’m not defending some of the inscrutable practices in the hunting media industry - I’ve got plenty of issues with it - but I also can’t let an unfair representation go completely unanswered. Reminds me of someone that tried to make inaccurate and unfounded accusations about some of Jordan’s and other RS product reviews in another thread recently. L

#2: I get your point there but when you complain, on your YouTube channel, about people being judgmental towards fellow hunters it almost comes off hypocritical. I guess the proselytizing by someone as apparently young as you comes off a little cocky. Lol. But you’re definitely right about the greatest risk to hunting is division among hunters. I use this analogy a lot: The way you split a giant granite boulder without explosives is to inject a slightly expanding rosin into a small crack or a series of small holes drilled in a row. That’s a quiet and gentle way to break apart an otherwise nearly indestructible object.

#3: Here’s another kinda inarticulate perspective that comes off a little judgmental. I’ll agree, and I think most hunters will, that if you pull the trigger you deserve to have pride in your accomplishment. Nobody should feel less than just because their buck or bull or whatever isn’t a jaw-dropper. However, once you jumped off into how hunters “should” have respect for it and be “accountable” for it, “take ownership of it” and how they’re “disrespectable to the animal and hunting” you crossed a line. You just violated the very problem you had in #3! Do you get a badge when you join the hunting morality police? One more time with the judgmentalism. <— doesn’t help your case.

#4: So, we have this thing called a “Patent” that protects original designs from ripoff designs of your own intellectual property. Unfortunately, hanging a bag for your binos from shoulder straps has been done since before the founders of FHF were born. If there was a patent-worthy design feature companies will avail themselves of the legal protection a patent offers. Otherwise, it’s really a non-issue. What you described is how the free market and a competition driven economic system works. If one company can produce a patent free product for less than another, guess what’s going to happen? It’s the nature of the beast, not a moral failing. In fact, it’s this very competition that spurs and DRIVES innovation, not stifle it! Some folks can’t afford the FHF harness but CAN afford a lower quality version. If FHF doesn’t want to serve these hunters with their own lower quality option, why shouldn’t someone else? We’re not talking about a cutting-edge computer chip that cost $100M to design - we’re talking about a canvas bag in straps. It might be a good idea to teach your poor friend about the old saying about the word “assume.” Lol.

#5: How about the overuse (and incorrect usage) of the term “hunting industry” in the video? Lol. Sorry, I couldn’t resist. You referred to “our industry” a couple of times and, unless you’re making a living from hunting or hunting products, you actually mean, “our SPORT” or “pastime” or “passion” etc. Equipment or clothing manufacturers or outfitters or guides are “industry” members. Hunters are not. Hunters are just hunters.

FYI - every tag/hunting license you buy contributes money to the conservation of game species through that state’s wildlife agency. So, your claim that tag buyers aren’t contributing is simply factually incorrect. Now, that’s not to say that some people couldn’t donate MORE than they do to specific conservation groups; but then you step off into that quagmire of pomposity and judgementalism. Furthermore, if the litmus test for proper donation amounts depends on a donation thats 100% free from reward, you’re going to have a very hard time finding one that meets your prerequisites. EVERY donation to conservation groups is tax-deductible. So, if I donated $1k to WSF last year and deduct it on my taxes, is it as worthless as the donation I made with my tags?

That’s the problem with jumping on a soapbox - often the best of intentions can turn into a missed opportunity. I think (at least I HOPE) your goal was to encourage people to donate more to wildlife conservation. However, leaping on a high horse and trying to mitigate and shame people into more isn’t effective. In fact, it’s a downright turn-off that makes you look like a pompous, holier-than-thou elitist. It’s not an attractive costume. Remember the old saying about flies and honey vs. vinegar.

Everybody has to be somebody these days... more emphasis is being put on gaining notoriety, social media presence, and likes/shares than actually getting out in the field and hunting hard/filling tags. I personally don't care what others do with their time, it doesn't affect me or what I do in the field. Companies throughout the industry are as much to blame as the people doing it in that they place social media presence much higher than the individuals actual ability or drive to be successful.

That being said, there are certainly a few in the industry and YouTubers that have my respect because they do get after it hard, each and every year. Sadly they are not the norm.

alaskanparret

Lil-Rokslider
Good Lord...the guy posted a video just stating an opinion. Yes he’s open to criticism, but you guys sure ate him alive.

Just joined Rokslide hoping it wouldn’t be the usual internet heros, but🤷🏻*♂️.

I post a lot on my Instagram, on my Facebook, other forums about things I’m successful at. Not because I need to show off, but because I’m proud of what I’ve done. Just like he is probably proud of his videos. This generation prefers videos, not forums where you run into cranky cabin fever folks.

Some like Nick Muche above are some very BA well accomplished hunters, that don’t feel the need to post the crap out of their stuff, they let their actions go do the talking for them. All the respect in the world for the guys that go out and bust their butt and get it done and just shut up and be happy.

I watched the video and sadly this forum resonates the hate within the industry.

We’re becoming a minority everyday fellas. Divided we will fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NDGuy

WKR
I didn’t watch the video, but I’m going to pick Flat Brims as the #1 thing wrong with hunting today. I also considered public lands issues, technology, lack of woodsmanship, hunter recruitment, commercialization, etc, but then I picked Flat Brims over all of those. #GoProXtremeHuntingInstaFaceMountainWarriorTrophySlayerClicktoSubscribe

You forgot #sickforit #keephammering #booner #mountainops #protein

Makes me want to vomit

I knew this was coming. After watching the videos he has put up, I wondered if he would be able to endure the coming comments.
How ever , I also get the feeling half the guys on here would like to see this young voice, stay on RS, and earn his right to his opinion. The other half, has thrown him into a group of snow flakes trying to use any possible means to further his image.

The issue to you the OP I had with this video, is it isn't anything most of us don't already know. What you shared was not new, it was regurgitated bits of talking points already well discussed.
I guess that is why some felt these videos were nothing more than a ploy to gain subscribers.

I will say this, many of us on here like you, agree with you on what was said, for the most part. What little we know about you seems like you are passionate about some of the very things we are.

But this site isn't a site for opinions on things where "we" are the center of attention.
We really want the "thing" to be the center of attention, and then we can make our own minds up.

I almost left RS cause of some pretty harsh responses to some of my posts.
But if you stick around, you will get the protocol down and understand the purpose of RS.

It cant be about you, it has to be about info, and the members will decide what to do with that info you provide.

Yep, there are jerks on here. Jerks who cant seem to say anything good. But then there are also great guys and gals who are always offering positive input.

You certainly seem to be a little different than most from your generation, but many will have a hard time over coming your stereo type.
Time will tell if you are for real, or for sale.
I believe you are for real- time will tell.

Oh............ and I don't care who comes on here to voice a different opinion than mine- that's what this site is for.
Opinions on a product, and you have come on here, kind of like a product that just got reviewed.
Man up- this is a great site.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to throw out a quick, positive message to the OP. It takes guts and initiative to put yourself out there like you have. I applaud the effort. As evidenced above, you open yourself up to a lot of criticism when you put content out into the public.

I noticed 2 types of “criticism” above. 1) Old Fartery. If I were you I’d ignore that type of feedback. They aren’t going to get it no matter what. 2) well thought out and delivered critical feedback (ie. brushyhillguide). In my personal and professional life I love getting feedback like this because it helps me grow.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop a quick note of encouragement. Good luck to you.

chasewild

WKR
This whole thread is somewhere on the list for me.

Do good work, hunt hard, keep your mouth shut, and share your stories like we used too -- by your own spoken word with the ones you love and trust not to post a #hushtag, or youtube.

micus

Lil-Rokslider

I don't see a vid or post for that matter from the OP.

However, surely you must appreciate the irony in your post, grinding on a guy (and generation of people), for making excessive and in your opinion trivial social media content when you yourself appear to be espousing your own views/opinions on a social forum at a rate that crush's most or all millennials on this site~ 126 posts in 2 weeks. #justsayingbruh.

to answer the OP's question and purpose of the thread, the only thing I wish there was less of in the hunting I see are the epic NFL style victory dances people increasingly make when they take an animal. It just bugs me.

that is all.

jmez

WKR
Didn't watch the video as its gone and not going to go find it on YouTube. Hunting has the same problems today that it did 30 years ago. It has the same problem that every industry and that society as a whole is having. Multiple generations doing the same thing in a different way. "Hey you kids, get off of my lawn!"

The same arguments are occurring now that used to be posted and hashed out in the "Readers Comments" section of Bowhunter in the 80's. Each generation's way, is the right way. Far too few from all areas even try to consider a viewpoint different than their own. Why would they, "they are right," the others just don't get it.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
to answer the OP's question and purpose of the thread, the only thing I wish there was less of in the hunting I see are the epic NFL style victory dances people increasingly make when they take an animal. It just bugs me.

that is all.

What's worse than people doing the victory dances, is all the time I put into practicing my dab last off season and I didn't get to use it in 2017.