New Board Suggestion

Would you like to see a board for members/sponsors selling hunts?

• Yes

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 32 56.1%

• Total voters

Squirrels

WKR
Gotta be careful or Rokslide will turn into Archerytalk. And for the love we don't want that..................

If it were contained in its own separate thread, how would that affect the rest of the site?

How many threads do you already see posted in the wrong sections? And those are mostly by well intentioned people not motivated by profit.

jmez

WKR
I wouldn't care with some rules, voted no BTW as the idea was proposed.

If it were in its own section and everyone posting their hunts had to pay the same fee/sponsorship required of any for profit business on this site then I don't see a problem.

No way it should be free when outfitters are running a for profit business. Lathrop and sons can't push their boots or site without the fee, Matrix targets, Mtn. Ops, Kifaru, Stone Glacier etc etc etc. I see no difference in an outfitter than any other business.

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
I think make it into 2. A hunt swap for members to say hey come hunt Iowa with me and I will come hunt Colorado with you kind of thing.

then if their is a hunts for sale one definitely needs to be charged a fee to post in there. More money for the site, no one has to go in there if they aren't interested.

Dont like it. I come to Rokslide for gear reviews, advice, tips and tactics, there are other site to find hunts.

x3. I can see where the OP is coming from. He had a great experience and is wanting to help others have the same opportunity, but there are lots of places on the web to find guided hunts. The list of sites to learn and interact with other backcountry hunters is much shorter. I don't want to see rokslide move away from that.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
"Rokslide was formed by a group of select individuals who literally live, eat, and breathe DIY western hunting 365 days a year..."

Logistics aside, DIY western hunting is the center focus of Rokslide. Guided hunts detract from that. If that's your thing, fine, but there are other places for that. Rokslide doesn't have to accommodate everyone. I voted no.

OP
Where's Bruce?
x3. I can see where the OP is coming from. He had a great experience and is wanting to help others have the same opportunity, but there are lots of places on the web to find guided hunts. The list of sites to learn and interact with other backcountry hunters is much shorter. I don't want to see rokslide move away from that.

True and most of my hunting is public land archery spot & stalk. Never planned to hunt Alberta (guides are mandatory) but so glad I bit when the ad was posted. I got to full draw more times in 12 days than I have in 9 yrs in the lower 48. Legal shooting hours were 6am-9:40pm! Then we'd eat dinner and stare at the Northern Lights. It was epic!!!

But I understand the sentiments shared and certainly don't want RS to become a spammy junkyard of pay-to-play hunts. Maybe there's a place where guys are already selling hunts they booked but can't go on that I should check out? Now that I've hunted Canada I am amped to try other countries including Africa. Getting it for half price would go a long way towards getting me there.

I vote no. For all the above reasons...this is more of a DIY site.
I do like the suggestion of having a hunt trading forum though...that may have some legs.

There have been people I met on here that I have taken hunting and may go hunting with in the future.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I’m not sure if any of the
outfitters have this on their sites already but it would benefit them to have a section on their own sites where they list hunts that didn’t fill all the way up, or someone had to cancel a hunt. Customers could leave reviews/testimonials. This would actually be a great way to attract new customers that would be likely to turn into repeat customers. Obviously they would lose some money up front, but in the long run come out ahead. Like already mentioned, Rokslide is geared towards DIY hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
I don't like it. I echo the arguments of others against it and would also such a board could offer negative impressions and perceptions to non-hunters, anti-hunter, or people curious about hunting who stumble across Rokslide.

wildcat33

WKR
I love to find the kind of opportunities that the OP originally had such a good experience with. But its hard to imagine that opening a forum as clearing house for hunts would ever stay that way. As others have mentioned there are other places to go for one seeking an outfitter. I vote no.

3forks

WKR
In addition to Tanya's comments, most outfitters that have been in the business a while should have a list of potential customers that have expressed interest in one of their hunts.

When we had a customer need to cancel a trip, we would make a call to a person that had made an inquiry with us about a particular trip (but we couldn't schedule) to determine if they were interested in the trip the customer cancelled.

An outfitter's most valuable asset is their clientele, and a well run business reaches out to their repeat clients and potential clients to keep them informed of opportunities they may want to take advantage of.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
"Rokslide was formed by a group of select individuals who literally live, eat, and breathe DIY western hunting 365 days a year..."

Logistics aside, DIY western hunting is the center focus of Rokslide. Guided hunts detract from that. If that's your thing, fine, but there are other places for that. Rokslide doesn't have to accommodate everyone. I voted no.

This!!

OP
Where's Bruce?
There are many places you cannot go DIY. Canada, Iceland, Greenland, Africa, a buncha countries with names ending in ****istan, etc and there are many of us with interest in such hunts.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Well I hope those with hunting opportunities they cannot use will continue to post em up here on RS, I still wanna hunt central Africa, NZ, Iceland and the Yukon before i die but damn they cost some coin.