AZGFD regulation change, no more radios?!?

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve heard through two of my buddies that AZ is going to outlaw handheld radio use during hunting. I looked through the commission meeting notes and I can’t find any record of discussion or a period of public comment. Both of my buddies were told by game wardens that this is happening, but it isn’t “written down anywhere” yet. Has anyone heard of this? We use radios quite a bit and I’m surprised at this sudden change.

I’ve heard through two of my buddies that AZ is going to outlaw handheld radio use during hunting. I looked through the commission meeting notes and I can’t find any record of discussion or a period of public comment. Both of my buddies were told by game wardens that this is happening, but it isn’t “written down anywhere” yet. Has anyone heard of this? We use radios quite a bit and I’m surprised at this sudden change.

Seems unlikely if for no other reason because of the safety issue. Radios provide a way to reach out for help in an emergency. I guess they could forbid the use to coordinate a stalk or something but they’d have to be carrying radios to monitor all the frequencies to make a case. Seems like more hassle than they’d (wardens on the ground) would want. Just an educated guess on my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems unlikely if for no other reason because of the safety issue. Radios provide a way to reach out for help in an emergency. I guess they could forbid the use to coordinate a stalk or something but they’d have to be carrying radios to monitor all the frequencies to make a case. Seems like more hassle than they’d (wardens on the ground) would want. Just an educated guess on my part.

Radio use to guide hunters is illegal in most other states. It does give an advantage no question

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Coordinating a stalk via radio is a bullshit maneuver anyway. It should be illegal just the same as using a drone to look for animals.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
In this case, I am referring to the use of radios to take game as being outlawed. There are some states that have those rules and some that don’t. I’m not a fan of the possible change... very hard to prove in court and there are ways around it with cell phones, sat comms, etc. I’m not debating the ethicality or advantages of radios for hunting. I use them, and I have no qualms with it. What’s more ethical - using radios and a trad bow to kill an animal at 20 yards or using a rangefinder and a 300wm to shoot that same animal at 600 yards with no radios? I would say the former has less advantage and is more ethical than the latter, but that’s my opinion. As long as they are both legal, it is up to the individual hunter to make that call. I use radios, you don’t. To each their own.

amp713

WKR
Coordinating a stalk via radio is a bullshit maneuver anyway. It should be illegal just the same as using a drone to look for animals.

Some would say the same about baiting, sitting water, using treestands, using inline muzzys, sight lights, etc.....

Just because it isn't your way or the way you were brought up doesn't mean it's wrong. Many things are accepted as the norm in certain areas if you don't like it don't do it but don't bash on people for doing the common thing in their area.

When I get separated from my partner we text with our phones muted. Who carries radios anymore? Silent communication is in your pocket.

When I get separated from my partner we text with our phones muted. Who carries radios anymore? Silent communication is in your pocket.
That works good as long as you have cell service. The spots I hunt are hours from any cell signal.

My buddies and I use radios to meet up, or if we need help. We have RINOs so can send locations and messages as well. It is unlawful where I live to coordinate stalks or point your buddy to an animal on the radio. Most the wardens have FRS/GMRS radios and scan the channels. It falls under the general fair chase laws. So using them isn't illegal, just what you are using them for.

I solo hunt a lot and leave my radio channel with the wife, my radio is also my GPS and weather radio. Most the search teams and helicopters can switch to your frequency.

It will be intresting to see how they word the law. My guess is it will be pretty as similar to most other states.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That works good as long as you have cell service. The spots I hunt are hours from any cell signal.

My buddies and I use radios to meet up, or if we need help. We have RINOs so can send locations and messages as well. It is unlawful where I live to coordinate stalks or point your buddy to an animal on the radio. Most the wardens have FRS/GMRS radios and scan the channels. It falls under the general fair chase laws. So using them isn't illegal, just what you are using them for.

I solo hunt a lot and leave my radio channel with the wife, my radio is also my GPS and weather radio. Most the search teams and helicopters can switch to your frequency.

It will be intresting to see how they word the law. My guess is it will be pretty as similar to most other states.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We have DeLorme Explorers for that contingency.

boom

WKR
we use our Rino's in AZ. for one reason only..to call off the stalk when we see that Couse blow out.

calling in a hunter to a hidden deer is impossible anyways. the perspective is so different..saying, "it is right there in front of you!!" that deer could be over some bulge in the landscape. it makes no sense and never ever works.

In this case, I am referring to the use of radios to take game as being outlawed. There are some states that have those rules and some that don’t. I’m not a fan of the possible change... very hard to prove in court and there are ways around it with cell phones, sat comms, etc. I’m not debating the ethicality or advantages of radios for hunting. I use them, and I have no qualms with it. What’s more ethical - using radios and a trad bow to kill an animal at 20 yards or using a rangefinder and a 300wm to shoot that same animal at 600 yards with no radios? I would say the former has less advantage and is more ethical than the latter, but that’s my opinion. As long as they are both legal, it is up to the individual hunter to make that call. I use radios, you don’t. To each their own.

I love it. Archery and long range the only two groups in the world of hunting who think it’s cool to shoot as much/ many as need be to finally be able to come back tomorrow and get a rack in a head to head ethics battle. Face off!!!

How’s the view from up there buddy?

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
You lost me. If you are throwing spears at me because you think I am on some ethical high horse, maybe reread that last three lines of my post. I was defending the use of radios because they are legal and up to the hunter to decide on the ethics. I was using trad archery and long range shooting as an example of opposite ends of the spectrum to highlight activities that are both legal, but some hunters may have ethical issues with, and to address a previous comment on radios providing an unfair advantage. I neither long range shoot or hunt with trad bows. The view is fine from where I sit.

FlyGuy

WKR
I love it. Archery and long range the only two groups in the world of hunting who think it’s cool to shoot as much/ many as need be to finally be able to come back tomorrow and get a rack in a head to head ethics battle. Face off!!!

How’s the view from up there buddy?

Huh?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

robie

WKR
Back to the original question.

Any word on legality in AZ for this coming season?

I get everyone has an opionion. But OP had a very specific question.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I don’t really care about radios. The only reason they piss people off is that the guys who try to talk each other onto a buck or a bull with them do it in front of and in plain view of other hunters stalking the same animal.. a y’all mark of the az experience.

I thought it was cute that you assigned a higher ethical value to one of those two opposing ends of the spectrum than the other. And followed it with the obligatory “but whatever you do that’s legal is cool bro”

So that’s what I was commenting on- total peanut gallery. Now becoming a tarpit

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I have not heard of any rule changes related to radios. The current set of proposed rule changes are enumerated at the link below. I did not read the whole thing, but I scanned through it, and also searched the document for the word "radio", and came up empty.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/azgfd-port.../uploads/2018/02/27140635/Article-3-NPRM1.pdf

I looked at those as well and went back and read all the commission meeting notes back until winter of 2017 and never saw anything. Both of my friends heard it from two separate wardens. Hearsay is the only evidence I have. I was curious if anyone else had heard something. I’m curious on enforsement of these. I would think this would not be popular amongst wardens. Tough to enforce and probably tougher to prove in court.