Gear investments, what do you regret?

Owenst7

WKR
The dozens of synthetic bags I bought before I figured out that down wasn't difficult to keep dry, and will maintain it's loft indefinitely.

Dinger

WKR
Kimber Ascent purchased new in 2013 (I think) for $2600 AUD ......I was beyond excited to get my hands on one. Unresolvable misfires, accuracy issues and the stock finish peeling off after it got wet did it for me, the importer took it back for a full refund no questions asked. I played Kimber roulette and lost.

Ironically another regret is the amount of time and money sunk into custom light weight rifles.

Every pair of danner boots I ever bought.

Most recent is a mystery ranch pintler and guide light frame I just bought... i should have stuck with kifaru but my eyes were wandering. While the pack itself is fine, there is nothing I like about that frame. WTF were they thinking when they designed the belt? POOOOPY!

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Savage model 116 in the 300 win mag. Shot it a couple times and traded it in. Sloppy action, crappy magazine, the stock was horrendous and it my sound petty but the gun was just ugly. The gun shot okay but I couldn't justify keeping it. Should've just bought a tikka

reelnmn

FNG
Biggest regerts:
ALPS Outdoorz Commander pack - tried getting in cheap with a decent meat mauler...it's not decent.
Leupold VX3 - Love the scope, love the adjustments and the CDS. Hate that I didnt bust out the few extra bucks for the Adjustable Objective
Kuiu Yukon gloves - bought these for subfreezing conditions. Hands were terribly cold in high 20 degree dry weather

Wasted money:
Alaskan game bags - bought these to help me make it through the first hunt season, made the jump to synthetic bags midseason and didn't look back
Bear spary - lost 3 cans this past year from having it slip of my belt or pack belt as some point
Kuiu bino harness - worked great the first season, but the elastic is now stretched and doesn't hold them that well, upgraded to Marsupial this year

Surprised:
Danner Pronghorns - Bought these at Cabela's $100 of retail. Made it through a season and half. Well over 100 miles in them as well as a elk packout from 4.5 miles back. They leaked this past season, but not terribly. I seam sealed them this year to hopefully make it through one more season

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Leupold binoculars- not very good for glassing any distance. Dropped the coin on Swarovski EL’s and feel they were a worthwhile investment.

Cheese cloth game bags- switched to TAG Bomb bags and am very impressed. Wash and reuse again.

Kenetrek Mountain Extreme- I fell for the hype, my experience with them was disappointing. Rubber rand separating on both boots and they both leaked where the sole joined the leather. The top of my feet would be dry but the bottoms would be wet. Switched to Crispi Idaho GTX and like them so far. Haven’t tested them in the mountains yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danner Tanicus boots. They leaked, yet somehow held moisture in. Heel lock webbing goes right over the ankle bones. Tore my feet up.

bcimport

WKR
I’ve had lots of buyers regret over the years. I think most of it had to do with drinking too much marketing kool aide about how great some product was. It’s led to lots of buying and selling that could have been better used on tags and gas money. Most of the time the small incremental improvements in gear make very little to no difference in the field. Buy what you need and go have fun, quit thinking if I just had the new widget things would be better.

jm1607

WKR
EE Quilts.. Nothing against them, they have top notch products and are top notch people.. I just learned real fast I'd rather have a freakin zipper than save 2oz! I don't get it.. **** quilts

Sawyer and Platypus Filters.. I don't get it either.. I don't want to take my bladder off my pack in the field.. I also don't want to get my hands wet when its 10 degrees outside.. I'll take a pump or Steripen any day.. At least they were cheap though!

Every pack I owned before a Kifaru.. This is the biggest kicker.. Wasted alot of money over the years..

Thermarest Xtherm MAX Pad (and any other pads made of super duper lightweight 10D/20D/30D materials).. Sucks waking up on the ground.. I'll stick to Klymit for their price and the stronger materials (75D?).. The couple oz weight penalty is worth the much better durability 1000% IMO

Phelps Calls.. Zero customer service.. Can't get him/them to answer a e-mail or phone call to save my life.. Gave up a year ago, and no it wasn't during or right before Elk season..

Cabela's Space Rain gear.. Yuck.. Besides being fragile they have this sheen to them, I feel like I was lit up like a Christmas tree when the sun hit me..

Havalon Style Knives.. It seems like my blades get duller and break more than anyone else.. I dunno.. I just pack a sharp as hell S35VN and a small sharpener nowadays..

Last edited:

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
So I have literally bought all new gear the past 6 months to hunt elk for my first time this fall so I’m not sure of my regrets yet but I have tried to purchase quality where I could!
Gear I have purchased
EXO Mountain Gear 3500 k2
Stone Glacier pullouts x2
Tarptent Stratospire1
Big Agnes Lost ranger 15 down bag
Klymit static v lite insulated pad & pillow
Source water bladder
Crispi summit gtx
Jetboil flash
Puffy down jacket by Columbia
Cabela’s space rain jacket/pants
Vortex razor HD 10x50
Marsupial gear bino harness
Cabela’s krotos spotter
Sawyer water filter
Black diamond head lamp
Outdoor edge razor lite knife
Phelps bugle and bro kill pack and several other diaphragm calls
Duel open reed cow calls
And last but not least and rifle (tikka t3x 7mm mag stainless topped with Bushnell elite long range). I’m bow hunting not gun lol

I’m sure I’m missing some things and maybe I have a problem lol

jmez

WKR
Thermarest U/L cot. My hunting partners both have them and love them. Wish I had tried one out before I bought on their recommendation. I don't think I gained anything with it other than extra weight in the pack. It is heavier than my pad and less comfortable. It is no more comfortable with the pad on it than just the pad on the ground. It made one trip this year then got left in the truck.

AndyB

WKR
Not so much of a regret but......just got a swaro ats 65, 25-50, not in love with it yet.
It really makes me appreciate how good my SLC 15X56'S are, I come off the spotter to my binos and the wow factor is definitely there, bear in mind this is my first tinker with a spotter and I am sure it will grow on me as I discover its benefits. Maybe I need a clearer day with no heat haze as the benefits in zoom over the 15's seem to be negated by heat haze and darker image at anything over 35x, time will tell.

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Nikon monarch 5 10x42 bino. I'm disappointed in these. First set of 'decent' binos I've bought ($340). The difference between these and an old $40 pair of bushnells my 3 year old now owns is negligible IMO.