Gear investments, what do you regret?

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Low to Mid range Glass- It was all a waste of money.

Since switching to high-end glass I can hunt with it for 5-10 years and still sell it for damn near what I paid for it to get another.

All Bowsights other that Spott Hogg, They are just solid.

kicker338

WKR
Very few regrets here, 1 danner boots, first all leather ones and only ones, had enough since not to repeate that mistake. 2 Silent swede rain gear, pretty stubborn on this, triad a number of diff. ones, gore and what ever breathable stuff dreamed up. The best feature they all had was
their ability to soak up water. 3 my biggest regret 25yrs. ago a good hunting store owner tried to convince me to buy a high end bino's. should haved listened. 4yrs. ago I got a pr. of licias, better late than never though.

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
New to backpack hunting so I bought almost all new gear in the last year (Wife was awesome about this). I don't know if I regret it so much since it was a learning experience but i'd say Kuiu 7200, pack was just not comfortable with a heavy load. That being said their clothing is some of my best purchases imo. Now I know to go and try packs on before hand and hoping to get either an exo or stone glacier instead.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
Danner boots. In fact I regret most "traditional" boots I have bought as an adult and wish I would have come to trail running shoes and the Italian inspired alpine-ninja boots like the Scarpas and La Sportivas much earlier.

I also regret most camo clothing I have bought, as I have found better performing options for less money from traditional outdoor brands like Patagonia and whatnot. I now only really have only camo midweight and heavyweight tops and most everything else is in a solid.

elkyinzer

WKR
The ones that stick out most to me are failures to heed "buy once, cry once"

Kelty Cache Hauler - upgraded to MR real quick after that one
X-stand Hang on - decent but should have just spent another $100 for LW
About $200 worth of Core4Element merino that feels like 120 grit sandpaper compared to First Lite

Scattering of a few internet purchases over the years mostly clothes that don't fit me great but wasn't bad enough/I was too lazy to return. Most of it sits in my closet.

I also got into the whole bivy setup and spent a lot of cash putting a good kit together. I've used it about 3 times in 3 years. Still some hunts in my future I figure on using it, I just haven't gone out of my way to been in a day hunt mode.

banishd

FNG
Sawyer filter and Danner Pronghorns. I used each of them once and then introduced them to the bottom of my garbage can.

What?! Sawyer mini filter is awesome and cheap too. I will say a pair of Zamberlans mountaineering boots that are amazing but dont fit me are my biggest regret. Plus the 5 backpacks I tried before buying a kifaru

Murdy

WKR
Several pieces of scent control clothing -- the stuff with the carbon. I have little faith in it, and it doesn't do anything about the number one problem, your breath, anyway.

Starting to regret the uncommon caliber choices of some of my rifles (6.5x47, 6.5 SAUM, 300 NM..) because I finally quit building a reloading bench every 5-10 months when I relocate for work and don't get enough time at home to keep ammo loaded.

I regret a full custom rifle for hunting purposes. There are so many good factory rifles now that $4k for custom bolt rifle feels stupid.

March 3-24x52 scope. Lost $900 reselling it and a $1k LRHS ended up working better as a hunting scope anyway.

SWOHTR

WKR
Not sure of the issues with "all" Danner boots listed above. I've had some East Ridge insulated boots and fairly enjoyed them; they're made in the states, not sure if that has something to do with it.

My CO had Pronghorns and thought they were "awesome" and complained of the leaking. I didn't have the heart to tell him they were the bottom-shelf entry-level boots...man he wore them everywhere though.

The ATV comment got me thinking. I have an ATV, love it, but don't find it super useful to effective western hunting. I find I am tempted to drive it everywhere, thus not seeing anything. I also find I am prone to "why walk there? I can drive the ATV there" type of thinking. Thus enters my quest to hunt roadless areas. The ATV will not be getting sold though...it earns it's keep in other areas.

I had a Kuiu Icon frame and bags. Decently comfortable, way too squeaky, and generally unimpressive.

ILBE. I tried one out (training loads) of 80-100lbs and could not keep it adjusted correctly. The load lifters, belt, straps, etc. kept slipping.

I have some 8x42 Bushnells that are OK but will be upgraded. I got a headache after a day or two of using them.

French press coffee filter (I think it's a Jetboil) for MSR Windburner. Yeah, it works great, but is there a better way to make coffee without making such a huge mess in the stove cup?

InReach. Yes, the communication is great. However, the app leaves something to be desired, esp. if running it in bluetooth mode (maybe this was fixed this year?). I actually lost the first one of these I owned on the mountain and thought it better to leave it there than try to look for it.

Low to Mid range Glass- It was all a waste of money.

Since switching to high-end glass I can hunt with it for 5-10 years and still sell it for damn near what I paid for it to get another.

All Bowsights other that Spott Hogg, They are just solid.

This is me also. I’ve bought a lot of mid range glass that I’ve since replaced. I’m looking forward to having my current glass for years to come even though it’s been painful parting with thousands of dollars to get it.

I badly also regret getting into buying a new bow every other year. Worst wasted money ever for me

Leuopold rx-1000i tbr They won’t fix the seal that disintegrated.

Grim Reaper hybrid broadheads. They broke just testing them in my rinehart 18-1 target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think anyone that has bought a $400 Ozonics machine bc the whitetail goons promote them so dearly is either very regretful, in denial, or an idiot.

Also, accubow owners have a screw loose.

speaking of rinehart, i love my 18-1 but i tried to save a buck a bought one of their woodland targets. it's a completely different type of cheaper foam and incredibly difficult to pull arrows out of. should have just bought another 18-1.