Gear investments, what do you regret?

Grunt-N-Gobble

Lil-Rokslider
Regret buying Lowa Tibets. And Goldtip Pro Hunter shafts. They had a visiable wobble that i never had with their regular XT's.
Silver thread lined based layers. The Lorpen socks that Lathrope sells. Way too big for their listed size. Cheap treestands in my cheap days.
And a few bowsites from my cheap days.

DavePwns

WKR
Leupold binoculars- not very good for glassing any distance. Dropped the coin on Swarovski EL’s and feel they were a worthwhile investment.

Cheese cloth game bags- switched to TAG Bomb bags and am very impressed. Wash and reuse again.

Kenetrek Mountain Extreme- I fell for the hype, my experience with them was disappointing. Rubber rand separating on both boots and they both leaked where the sole joined the leather. The top of my feet would be dry but the bottoms would be wet. Switched to Crispi Idaho GTX and like them so far. Haven’t tested them in the mountains yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What do you like about the tag bomb bags?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Mi_fiveo

WKR
What do you like about the tag bomb bags?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

7b4c8125352c4c565d2730b45cb1574d.jpeg

I like the compact size for 6 bags and they come in a storage bag. It is easy to pack in and the bags are so much stronger than the cheap cheesecloth style bags. Buy one set and your good to go, just wash them up and reuse them.

NDGuy

WKR
7b4c8125352c4c565d2730b45cb1574d.jpeg

I like the compact size for 6 bags and they come in a storage bag. It is easy to pack in and the bags are so much stronger than the cheap cheesecloth style bags. Buy one set and your good to go, just wash them up and reuse them.

I have heard complaints about the meat not drying out and staying moist while they are sitting in those.

Any merit to that in your experience?

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I have heard complaints about the meat not drying out and staying moist while they are sitting in those.

Any merit to that in your experience?

Not in mine. They work great and meat does dry out as you would expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Not in my experience. They are breathable and the meat dries out as intended.

Owenst7

WKR
Maybe it's the Blackovis bags? Or is there not much of a difference?

I used BlackOvis for the last season for a mulie, a cow elk, and a bighorn sheep. No complaints. I love the reflective details on them. One of my hunting buddies had TAG bags for that cow hunt and they seemed like a pretty comparable product. I think all of the modern synthetic ones are probably great products.

alaskanparret

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW I use TAG bags... they’re pretty good and can hold a good load. They don’t tear or rip. They will get holes in them front sharp rib bones but show me a synthetic bag that won’t.

Caribou gear bags are just slightly thicker and seem to be more favored here in Alaska.

TAG bags tend to let the meat dry but then almost stick to the meat and dry with it as the bag becomes an extra outer layer. Not bad just an observation. Good airflow and all. Love em, use em for all my trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NDGuy

WKR
I’ve had several deer in my BlackOvis bags. Meat dries out just fine.

I used BlackOvis for the last season for a mulie, a cow elk, and a bighorn sheep. No complaints. I love the reflective details on them. One of my hunting buddies had TAG bags for that cow hunt and they seemed like a pretty comparable product. I think all of the modern synthetic ones are probably great products.

What are the main benefits of synthetic vs the cloth Alaska game bags besides being able to reuse?

twall13

WKR
What are the main benefits of synthetic vs the cloth Alaska game bags besides being able to reuse?
The synthetic bags maintain there shape which helps with packing boned out meat. Also, since they don't stretch, they don't open up enough to let blow flies, etc. lay eggs on the meat. Lastly, similar to the clothes you wear for hunting, synthetics wick and dry much faster than cotton which helps keep bacteria growth down.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I regret not picking a clothing system and sticking to it. From Core4element to Sitka to First Lite to Cabelas Brand to scent lock etc. My problem is that I like "sales". lol

Rage broadheads when they first came out and a king of the mountain wool hat that didn't fit right.
I'm happy with everything else.

The best decision I ever made was buying a pair of swaros way back when I couldn't afford them...
Still have them almost 15 years later.

TacoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Rage broadheads when they first came out and a king of the mountain wool hat that didn't fit right.
I'm happy with everything else.

The best decision I ever made was buying a pair of swaros way back when I couldn't afford them...
Still have them almost 15 years later.

I regret not spending the money on good 15’s now I need to upgrade binos.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
- Vortex Optics- from rifle scopes, binoculars, and spotting scope, wish I would of bit the bullet and got quality first. I have finally purged all of them
- Salomon boots- gave them away after a week
- First Lite clothes- after one season had 6-7 warranty returns and 2 others they wouldn't warranty (still use their base layers though)
- Good rain gear- tried to cheap out and almost froze during a spring bear hunt.
- Toyo AT tires- tried to cheap out and get toyo AT2 tires as opposed to BFG or something similar. In the first week of hunting, almost exclusively gravel forest service roads, nothing crazy, had 4 flats. All of the from gravel (tread, not sidewall punctures). It was crazy, swapped them for BFG ATs and haven't had any issues in 40,000 miles doing a lot rougher stuff.

16Bore

WKR
Interesting that guys “swear at” and “swear by” the same stuff. Zero problems with JetBoils or Havalons.

Two things that come to mind in the POS department:

KUIU Ultra 6000. Frame was shit. Switched to Outdoorsmans. Wouldn’t mind the 6000 bag though. Like the gate keeper clips.

BC Stocks. No explanation needed.

zacattack

WKR
Buying stuff before my first hunt. Should’ve just gone with what I had and then figured it out from there. At least the resell market ain’t bad.

buying used bows. by the time i put a new string on it and get it set up properly, i couldve just bought a new one. ive done it twice now. hopefully ill learn next time.