Weight of sidearm what do you consider heavy?

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at sidearms to carry backpacking in the backcountry and I know light weight is king but what do you guys carry or consider to heavy? I’m looking at a Ruger sp101 in 357mag I believe it weighs 25 or 27 oz

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
44 Mag S&W Titanium/Scandium, 25 oz unloaded. Not much fun to shoot - feels like hitting a baseball bat against a concrete beam...

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glock .45 acp model 30 2lbs .2 oz with one clip 9 rounds, I always carry when dont have hunting weapon and extra clip with holster clocks in at 3 pds..you pick it up together and you go this weighs a little but strap it on and hike and you don't feel it and you feel safe as you can be without a bazooka:)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well, to answer your question, I consider this heavy, but I carry it anyway, and I didn’t think I’ll stop carrying it any time soon.
963e1adf341a4289216a3aa77f43361a.jpg

S&W .500, fully loaded w/another 5 rounds of 440gr. hard cast, hot loads in the reload pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife has an sp 101 in 357 and its a nice little gun to tote around hiking.
I have a ruger alakan in 454 casull and while it feels like a good hunk of steel in your hand you hardly notice its there with a comfortable chest rig.

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Smith and Wesson .380 bodyguard, 12.3 oz empty, only pack it during archery , no brown bears to contend with and pretty quick to zero in on target areas, figured it’s loud enough and with a lil bite ,what ever is after me will change its mind , I hope lol,
But it’s a lot nicer to pack around than my 1911 45 ,

Momma carries it the rest of the year 😁

Shraggs

WKR
If not in grizzly country I carry my s&w airlite with crimson trace grip laser at 13oz loaded with Buffalo bore hard cast. Surprising handful. But very shootabke close range.

With big bears in lower 48, for me the glock 20 is a great comprimise. I only put 9 rounds in it. Gun is around 28 oz. very shootable to me.

Have not been to Alaska yet... but I would take my model 629 4" 44 mag. It is 41 oz empty. But I believe elevation would be far less. And, I would train sending many rounds down range until I can successfully shoot doubles and hit consistently. I own one, just haven't shot it a lot - and can't reliable get second hit rapidly on target. Always high and right. False sense of security until I can do that.

S/W M&P .45 cal- 29 oz, 10+1 rounds
I have carried lighter and heavier.
But this caliber is efficient for my mental consolation. May not save my life, but it will let me sleep better.

Ive got a glock 20 and a scandium 329, both in diamond d chest rigs. Not sure what they weigh but for the protection they provide, seems light

Agustus

FNG
I carried a Glock 29 all archery season this past year. Used a retention holster like the serpa. Didn’t notice the weight and 10 rounds of underwood 10 mm was nice knowing it was there.

I too had a ruger sp-101. Sold it bc close to same weight as 10 mm but half the capacity.

Anything is better than nothing though

Rick

ScottinPA

WKR
Ruger Alaskan 454. I believe it's 56oz empty. It's heavy but strapped on my Kifaru belt it's ok. Was looking at the S&W 329 but not sure I want to make the change.

KJH

WKR
SW XVR .460 3.5" barrel- 60oz. Unloaded
5 rounds- 8 oz. +/-
Clip on Holster- 14 oz.

Heavy yes- Doesn't bother me to carry it for insurance when packing meat. Nearly as heavy as a mountain rifle, but I like it.

I've carried a lot of different pistols, but this one is my favorite now.

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
Glock 10mm, holster is an important factor in how the weight is carried. I carry mine in a gunfightersinc ronin that I ordered with malice clips so I can attach it to webbing on backpack belt. Also works with regular belt. Rides high and tight and the Glock feels great and stays out of my way.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, good point Ichavez....Personally I think the way you carry matters as much if not more than the firearm itself.
Just try toting along a pistol in a thigh rig for a day.

A pistol holster rigged to your pack belt works for me. A chest rig like AK Trout will distribute the weight well even though it is a heavy weapon and a heavy holster.

Heck even a good reinforced belt that is designed to support a holster makes a big difference.

Here’s a question for you folks , am I under gunned with a 357 for bear ?

I would say most definitely not. In most cases a .357 mag could probably even stop the biggest bears, with correct shot placement, I just prefer to carry something a little larger with a few more foot pounds of energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk