Backpacking firearm

Do any of you carry a light weight, rifle while backpacking for extended trips ? I’m thinking of shortening a 308 for this purpose, carrying standard and reduced small game loads. I’ve always carried a 40 caliber pistol but I’m thinking a rifle would be more useful, although heavier.

KJH

WKR
I guess when I think of a backpacking gun, I'm thinking of something that's along for personal protection, emergencies, or a .22 for shooting a grouse or something similar. I'm assuming backpacking trip isn't a hunting trip. What would you use a .308 for on a backpacking trip?

Not criticizing at all, just curious. I'm all for you carrying anything along that makes you happy.

NDGuy

WKR
Just picked up the Magpul Backpacker stock 10/22 takedown. Cannot wait to use it this year.

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up the Magpul Backpacker stock 10/22 takedown. Cannot wait to use it this year.

I picked one up a couple weeks ago with a volquartsen carbon barrel for less than what used takedowns are going for and I love it. Comes in around 4 pounds with optic. I went with a cheap Bushnell trs25. It’s heavier than my .22 pistol but I think it will be more functional and will see more use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
I guess when I think of a backpacking gun, I'm thinking of something that's along for personal protection, emergencies, or a .22 for shooting a grouse or something similar. I'm assuming backpacking trip isn't a hunting trip. What would you use a .308 for on a backpacking trip?

Not criticizing at all, just curious. I'm all for you carrying anything along that makes you happy.

The things you mentioned are true, personal protection,emergency ( or , running out of food and needing to shoot that grouse or squirrel). That’s why I think with the small game loads added, it would Allow me to use the same gun for both. No criticism taken.

Beendare

WKR
Its all a function of where you are backpacking, eh?

If its a big bear area...a small caliber rifle is pretty worthless.

So for example, on remote archery deer hunts in most states I'm most likely to encounter 1) Rattlesnakes, 2) black bears, 3) mtn lions....so my G19 with the first cartridge snake shot and the balance being hardcast rounds is a light but effective weapon.

In some areas you might be better off with the light rifle...or even a shotgun on a sling

OP
C

So for example, on remote archery deer hunts in most states I'm most likely to encounter 1) Rattlesnakes, 2) black bears, 3) mtn lions....so my G19 with the first cartridge snake shot and the balance being hardcast rounds is a light but effective weapon.

In some areas you might be better off with the light rifle...or even a shotgun on a sling

Exactly , a 22 would seem the obvious choice but as you said, not much for any sort of protection. I have carried that 40 cal for years and never needed it for protection from anything but the next time may be different. On the other hand, I have had numerous opportunity to shoot some small piece of camp meat that pistol would blow to pieces. I know it all comes down to what weight and usefulness is justified for every individual. I was interested to know if anybody else did this, how it worked out for their situation. Thanks for the reply

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
I think for the Lower 48 any reputable handgun in 9, 40, or 45 will work fine when loaded with a quality JHP or perhaps a bullet like the Lehigh Penetrator. If I was in true "Big Bear" country like coastal AK then I would follow the example of many AK outdoor professionals and carry a 12 gauge loaded with slugs or a nimble handling rifle.

Those snake shot cartridges always jam my Glock. Have ya shot it with one in there? Now I use a rock or a trekking pole, kills em quietly.
If I were gonna lug a long gun it'd be a lightweight shotgun with a short barrel capable of killing small game, birds and bigger predators including bears and meth heads.

Last edited:
This is usually what I’m carrying on my back when I’m fishing, and just a nice thing to have in base camp/boat gun. Fully loaded with 7–3”mag 12 ga. slugs.
0877496bdc31d2a2adb0493fff0916cb.jpg

Beendare

WKR
Those snake shot cartridges always jam my Glock. Have ya shot it with one in there?

Well of course you can't use the squared end CCI shotshell loads.

Those work in a revolver but not in a semi auto...they get stuck on the feed ramp. You have to get the round nose version. I typically only load the first one...and I have had them not seat just right having to mees with it a little...but rarely. I wouldn't recommend a whole mag of these.
CCI Shotshell Big 4 9mm Luger #4 Shot 45gr 1000fps 10rds - 3712CC - 604544618112

Once fired they eject just fine for me and i'm shooting a G23 with conversion barrel [effectively a 19] Even with the not so perfect ejector fit, Its never had a hiccup. I like the extra weight of the conversion barrel.

Hopefully you bought some of these before the CA mail order Ammo ban [arrrrg] another story

This is usually what I’m carrying on my back when I’m fishing, and just a nice thing to have in base camp/boat gun. Fully loaded with 7–3”mag 12 ga. slugs.

What is this? Is this the lightest option as far as 12 ga backpacking shotguns or do you just use it for fishing?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Buckmark if there's going to be grouse

Glock 20 if there's going to be bear and grouse

12 gauge if there's going to be a lot of bear and/or grouse

not a plinking gun with slugs, haha

that's pretty sweet as far as the utilitarian aspect... perfect tool for the job

What is this? Is this the lightest option as far as 12 ga backpacking shotguns or do you just use it for fishing?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
It's just a cheap Mossberg 500 Mariner. I'm sure there are lighter options out there, but my sole purpose for this was just to be a boat/camp gun while rafting/fishing and camping. It's been a very reliable tool for about the last 25 years now, and for what I paid for it, I don't mind if it gets abused a little.

Do any of you carry a light weight, rifle while backpacking for extended trips ? I’m thinking of shortening a 308 for this purpose, carrying standard and reduced small game loads. I’ve always carried a 40 caliber pistol but I’m thinking a rifle would be more useful, although heavier.
I carry a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 30-06. I had a gunsmith in Kenai cut the barrel down to 18”. It wears a Leupold VX-2 3-9x33 lightweight scope and Talley rings. With 180 gr. Swift Scirrocco II bullets and a healthy dose of H4350 it averages 2570 fps and shoots legit/repeatable 1/2 MOA 2 shot groups. The 3rd shot usually opens it up to just under an inch. Loaded with sling attached it weighs exactly 7 lbs. it kicks like hell.
I’ve developed some very low velocity (1423 fps) small game loads using 170 gr 30-30 flat nose bullets and a small dose of Red Dot. It’s not as accurate as the big game loads but I’ve taken a snowshoe hare and a couple of ptarmigan with it at under 50 yds. I don’t carry the small game loads elk hunting in Wyoming. I did bring a handful along on a couple AK fly in hunts in case we got stuck due to weather.

Last edited: