Out of state points / application questions

DavePwns

WKR
I have only hunted locally (CA) and I want to start building up preferences points and bonus points for various western states for elk, mule deer, moose, and antelope (I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to afford any kind of sheep hunt).I would identify myself as an opportunistic bowhunter(not overly concerned about trophys, just want more opportunities to hunt good populations and decreased hunting pressure) I understand the difference between how bonus points and preference points work but I have a few questions.

1. Do you have to purchase a hunting license in each state each year that you apply for a preference point / bonus points?

2. Do any certain states have an increased advantage for archery only?

3. For elk(and other species aforementioned) how do the over the counter opportunities compared to a few years with preference points regarding hunting pressure in the states that you have hunted?

4. What if you draw a tag and find out you can't go on that hunt due to unforseen circumstances? What do you do? And do you lose your built up points even though you can't go?

5. How much do you spend per state application on average each year?

Any other guidance or tips for me is highly appreciated!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

packer58

WKR
I have only hunted locally (CA) and I want to start building up preferences points and bonus points for various western states for elk, mule deer, moose, and antelope (I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to afford any kind of sheep hunt).I would identify myself as an opportunistic bowhunter(not overly concerned about trophys, just want more opportunities to hunt good populations and decreased hunting pressure) I understand the difference between how bonus points and preference points work but I have a few questions.

1. Do you have to purchase a hunting license in each state each year that you apply for a preference point / bonus points
That varies by state
Typically archery tags have less demand
3. For elk(and other species aforementioned) how do the over the counter opportunities compared to a few years with preference points regarding hunting pressure in the states that you have hunted?
Probably just depends on how well you know the unit, the idea is the more points the better the hunt will be but not always true.
4. What if you draw a tag and find out you can't go on that hunt due to unforseen circumstances? What do you do? And do you lose your built up points even though you can't go?
Most if not all states have a period of time that you can turn in your tag and retain your points, you'll have be aware of the requirements to do so.
​That varies depending on weather or not a license is required to buy points.
Any other guidance or tips for me is highly appreciated!

Forums like this make it easy to ask questions. However, I urge you to go to any state you wish to hunt and read the regulations. You will learn a lot. I'm not saying don't ask as sometimes we miss something in the regs or ask for clarification but, most of your questions can be answered by reading the regs.

Some states require a license purchase like NV, AZ, and UT.
Archery generally has better odds.
Tag surrender varies by state.
Costs are in the regs.

530Chukar

WKR
Purchase a Gohunt.com membership and they will answer a lot of your questions. Most of your questions can be answered by, it depends on the state. Each state is different from bonus pints to preference points, to purchasing a license and refunds. No two states are the same.

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
Look into WY and CO. You can just buy points and pay $30-$50 each species. Then when you are ready to hunt, put in for a draw.
Bonus points or preference points?

ncstewart

WKR
Every state has a very unique system. I am a not a westerner and didn't grow up hunting the west. So what I did first was check cost of every state and then picked states in my budget. After that I read all I could about those states. Mainly checking draw odds for the animals I wanted to hunt to make sure I would be able to draw tags instead of chasing points.
I personally chose 1 state to build points for a future trophy type hunts. Like 10-20 year before i would draw a tag. Then I picked a couple I could rotate and have a good chance for a tag every year.
There is a ton of free articles out there covering each states system and cost so just start searching and reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
My general advice to the OP;

Its a worthy exercise to research all of the western states and develop a global strategy.

If you have all of the info in front of you, then you can pick a couple states you want to focus on that will maximize your $$$$....unless you have the disposable income to buy many licenses every years for decades.

Factor point creep into your decision....the biggest factor in the points game. Just because someone drew CO unit 49 archery elk with 6 points doesn't mean YOU will have a tag in 7 years. The top units in Co archery elk take 26 points....and they only give out a few tags. So with over a 1,000 guys that have 24 points or more.....how long will it take them to draw?

Well of course the answer is; some won't ever draw that tag. So not only does this affect the creep in the top units, but also guys will decide to burn the points they have stockpiled and blow up the points needed in the lesser units.

Now there are states where you always have a chance of drawing a tag with no points. Sure its slimmer than slim...but there is a chance.

Then there are 2 states that don't do points; NM, ID

I'm just saying....if you look at them all.....analyze what is happening....it will give you a realistic view.

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
My general advice to the OP;

Its a worthy exercise to research all of the western states and develop a global strategy.

If you have all of the info in front of you, then you can pick a couple states you want to focus on that will maximize your $$$$....unless you have the disposable income to buy many licenses every years for decades.

Factor point creep into your decision....the biggest factor in the points game. Just because someone drew CO unit 49 archery elk with 6 points doesn't mean YOU will have a tag in 7 years. The top units in Co archery elk take 26 points....and they only give out a few tags. So with over a 1,000 guys that have 24 points or more.....how long will it take them to draw?

Well of course the answer is; some won't ever draw that tag. So not only does this affect the creep in the top units, but also guys will decide to burn the points they have stockpiled and blow up the points needed in the lesser units.

Now there are states where you always have a chance of drawing a tag with no points. Sure its slimmer than slim...but there is a chance.

Then there are 2 states that don't do points; NM, ID

I'm just saying....if you look at them all.....analyze what is happening....it will give you a realistic view.
Call me optimistic, but will point creep always be increasing? Shouldn't there be a drop off since people are using/refreshing their points

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Call me optimistic, but will point creep always be increasing? Shouldn't there be a drop off since people are using/refreshing their points

Nope more people entering than there is opportunity that's going to equal point creep

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
The only way we can stop point creep at this rate is an application limit. When you have guys, like myself include dumping 30 plus applications a year creep is going to happen. The best thing that can happen is everything goes random with upfront costs.

jmez

WKR
As others have said, point creep isn't going anywhere but up. You are so far behind already it will be decades, if ever, before you will get into a trophy type unit.

I've been collecting points for 7 years. About long enough to figure out that it is a waste of money unless you want to hunt a place like the Breaks in MT that you can reliably draw with a few points. Futile game if you are planning on a trophy unit.

Kind of a loaded questions...........I'll just go over Colorado and Utah, as those are the two I know the best.

1. Do you have to purchase a hunting license in each state each year that you apply for a preference point / bonus points?
Depending on the state.... Utah makes you buy a small game license to apply for preference points, I believe it cost $65 for the license and $10 for the application of each species. Colorado doesn't make you buy a license anymore but they will charge you $40 dollars per species for a preference point plus the $3 dollar application fee. The $40 fee gets waived if you had a big game license, small game, or fishing license the year before. So if you are applying for multiple species in that state it is smart to buy a fishing license for ~$56.
Most states have zones that are easier to get into that during rifle..... You have better odds of getting into a unti with trophy potential with archery than rifle.... Of course archery is harder and success rates are lower.
In my opinion hunting pressure is lower in units that are not OTC but some OTC units have really light pressure because of the terrain or the lower amount of game.
Colorado lets you return your license but that's fairly early in the year.... If you don't return them by a certain time, then good luck... You lose out.
$78 for Colorado now and $105 for Utah. I also apply for a general tag in Montana with two raffles..... $714. South Dakota Back Hills and West River $20. Wisconsin Turkeys, Bear.... Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Montana Moose... New Mexico Mule Deer... Nevada Mule Deer, Elk.... Can't remember the cost for all of them.

Beendare

WKR
Nope more people entering than there is opportunity that's going to equal point creep
Exactly.

As a non res, those top units just don't give out enough tags to wash a bunch of hunters through the system...thus the backlog increases.

Ask 10 guys here...and you will get 10 different answers.

IMO, join one of the services, examine the info and develop your LT strategy.

wapitibob

WKR

Depends on the unit you choose. There has been zero point creep over the last 3 years in the WY unit I drew this year.

You can span 2 years with a single license in UT and AZ.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on the unit you choose. There has been zero point creep over the last 3 years in the WY unit I drew this year.

You can span 2 years with a single license in UT and AZ.
You should post your unit up I'm sure that won't impact the draw odds at all.
I couldn't draw a Wyoming general tag this year with two points

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Eastmans tried that and it still didn't work.
"Poor access" and "lots of private" catch phrases seem to turn nr away before they even do the work to see if it's really true, thankfully.

Beendare

WKR
There is the rare spot you can find that the scouting services haven't picked up on yet as Bob points out. Its getting tougher though.

I was bow hunting a great unit in a certain western state that I could draw almost every year. The scouting publications listed it as poor.

Kinda funny that I ran into 2 guys from Huntin Fool in there though ...them rating it crummy and all.