Gearing up list. Please make suggestions.

I am starting to gear up for a DIY trip to colorado with my son.

I broke out my 30 year old EMS external pack and have been hiking at least 1-2x a week for the last 6 weeks with about 45 pounds in it to build up my cardio and acclimate my muscles to a weighted pack but the rest of my stuff has either gone missing over that time or been broken after lending it out.

This is the list of things that are on my list and I am looking for confirmation that they are good or there is a better alternative. Also I am 6'2" with a 50 inch chest, 40 inch waist and weigh 275 so I am a big boy. My son is 6'5" and 240 also a big boy.

Pack: Mystery Ranch Metcalf or Terraplane for me, Alps Commander external frame for him

Sleeping bag: Big Agnes Encampment 15 Synthetic Sleeping Bag Wide Long for both

Sleeping pad: Thermarest NeoAir Trekker Sleeping Pad for both

Shelter: Either Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT or Slumberjack Nightfall 2 Looking for opinions here for sure!

Stove: Primus Eta Lite Stove

These would be the main things besides coolers for our game, hydration, clothes and our archery equipment. If there is something that would be better for us at comparable cost because I am gearing up for 2 so the cost is twice as much almost I would love to hear it? Also if I missed something that you feel is important let me know.

Thanks in advance!

We are pretty similar in size.. what that generally means is everything we own/wear is bigger that other hunters and more space is required. That being said I own both the metcalf and the marshal and if I am going to be out more than a couple nights and if I need extra cold weather gear I love my marshall so much more than the metcalf. The zipper access for the sleeping bag area and the little more room sites seems to come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bz_711

WKR
A lightweight sil nylon tarp is a great addition to your shelter system when two guys are in a tight space. The tarp can be pitched outside as a cover for some gear or as a eating/cooking area. Easy to stuff two guys into one shelter for sleeping but nice to have another covered space that can also be used.

I went on a DIY CO elk hunt with my Dad 8 yrs ago and it was awesome. We used a Golite Hex 2 shelter and a 7x10 tarp, very comfortable camp.

Extra tarp for sure...I took the whole family backpacking last summer in CO...I went with just a 12x10' piece of Tyvek, added some stick on grommet/eyelet tabs and had a dirt cheap shelter we strung up between trees...called it our "shelter house"...weighs very little and great for storing packs and other gear under...as well as just staying under during rain showers.
We slept 3 in Mountainsmith LT, but 2 were my teenage sons and I'm only 5'10"...still think it could work for 2 but not much space left for gear.

Find deals (ie sierratradingpost), get the bare essentials, and go hunt.

x2...probably 90% of me and my family's gear is from STP...take time to search site, not just my clothing and boots from there, also other items such as stove, sleeping bags/pads, camp pillows, camp chairs, etc...

You have probably already went on your trip by now, but the Mountain Shelter LT would be miserable with two big guys. Very nice shelter, I love mine, but I struggle not kicking over the trekking poles by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk