Gearing up list. Please make suggestions.

I am starting to gear up for a DIY trip to colorado with my son.

I broke out my 30 year old EMS external pack and have been hiking at least 1-2x a week for the last 6 weeks with about 45 pounds in it to build up my cardio and acclimate my muscles to a weighted pack but the rest of my stuff has either gone missing over that time or been broken after lending it out.

This is the list of things that are on my list and I am looking for confirmation that they are good or there is a better alternative. Also I am 6'2" with a 50 inch chest, 40 inch waist and weigh 275 so I am a big boy. My son is 6'5" and 240 also a big boy.

Pack: Mystery Ranch Metcalf or Terraplane for me, Alps Commander external frame for him

Sleeping bag: Big Agnes Encampment 15 Synthetic Sleeping Bag Wide Long for both

Sleeping pad: Thermarest NeoAir Trekker Sleeping Pad for both

Shelter: Either Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT or Slumberjack Nightfall 2 Looking for opinions here for sure!

Stove: Primus Eta Lite Stove

These would be the main things besides coolers for our game, hydration, clothes and our archery equipment. If there is something that would be better for us at comparable cost because I am gearing up for 2 so the cost is twice as much almost I would love to hear it? Also if I missed something that you feel is important let me know.

Thanks in advance!

colersu22

WKR
You planning on sharing a tent? 2 guys and gear in the mountain smith would be pretty tight.

Owenst7

WKR
You planning on sharing a tent? 2 guys and gear in the mountain smith would be pretty tight.

I would recommend experimenting with that and making a decision based on preference first, as I feel that's subjective.

Last season elk hunting, I shared my Mountain Shelter with two strangers for a week. We had our rifles, boots, and most of our gear (minus our backpacks) in there. We even lost some floorspace due to piling deadfall over the perimeter to seal out the spindrifts. It was tight, but I'd do it again if it meant saving 6 lbs of gear (they are both planning on getting tarps this season so we'll probably sleep 2/tarp from now on). Two of us are 5'10", ~ 180 lbs. The 6'2", 215 lbs guy was placed at the door so he'd have the most room. We all stayed dry even with about 36 hours of continuous squalls.

OP
F
I would recommend experimenting with that and making a decision based on preference first, as I feel that's subjective.

Last season elk hunting, I shared my Mountain Shelter with two strangers for a week. We had our rifles, boots, and most of our gear (minus our backpacks) in there. We even lost some floorspace due to piling deadfall over the perimeter to seal out the spindrifts. It was tight, but I'd do it again if it meant saving 6 lbs of gear (they are both planning on getting tarps this season so we'll probably sleep 2/tarp from now on). Two of us are 5'10", ~ 180 lbs. The 6'2", 215 lbs guy was placed at the door so he'd have the most room. We all stayed dry even with about 36 hours of continuous squalls.

We planned on doing some test runs hear in NJ on the Appalachian trail in the Delaware Water Gap to test out our system. Thanks again. I have seen pics and it looks a little tight but not that bad. But you never know until you use it to find out if it works for you. About to go on a hike here with my new Lowa Camino's. First time with a weighted pack. Hopefully no hot spots or blisters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
Which season are you hunting? Make sure your cold weather stuff can handle the cold and snow and wind. Will that tent hold up, under a snow load? If you're hunting late season expect very cold weather and snow. May not materialize but being prepared is key.
Have some good wool underlayers.
I would get the warmest sleeping bag I could. Is this a pack in trip or drive to camp and hunt form there?
A smaller tent is easier to keep warm but you need room to dry out wet clothes and boots around the stove.

colersu22

WKR
Another way to free up space in the mountain Smith is don’t use the rear trekking pole and use the guy out line and attach it to a tree to hold the rear of the shelter. I had about 20 nights in mine with only a couple being with my partner and I felt cramped with the 2 of us and gear. I sold it to get a cimarron and now there is plenty of space for both of us and a stove.

Definitely get out in the spring and summer to test out the new gear because it is a lot nicer to find out something doesn’t work for you 2 when your close to home vs being on your hunt out of state.

Jimbob

WKR
A lightweight sil nylon tarp is a great addition to your shelter system when two guys are in a tight space. The tarp can be pitched outside as a cover for some gear or as a eating/cooking area. Easy to stuff two guys into one shelter for sleeping but nice to have another covered space that can also be used.

I went on a DIY CO elk hunt with my Dad 8 yrs ago and it was awesome. We used a Golite Hex 2 shelter and a 7x10 tarp, very comfortable camp.

OP
F
Which season are you hunting? Make sure your cold weather stuff can handle the cold and snow and wind. Will that tent hold up, under a snow load? If you're hunting late season expect very cold weather and snow. May not materialize but being prepared is key.
Have some good wool underlayers.
I would get the warmest sleeping bag I could. Is this a pack in trip or drive to camp and hunt form there?
A smaller tent is easier to keep warm but you need room to dry out wet clothes and boots around the stove.

I should have indicated it will be archery elk so early season in Colorado. We have great cold weather clothes but I don't see it being great for the mountains due to the weight. So open for suggestions.

OP
F
A lightweight sil nylon tarp is a great addition to your shelter system when two guys are in a tight space. The tarp can be pitched outside as a cover for some gear or as a eating/cooking area. Easy to stuff two guys into one shelter for sleeping but nice to have another covered space that can also be used.

I went on a DIY CO elk hunt with my Dad 8 yrs ago and it was awesome. We used a Golite Hex 2 shelter and a 7x10 tarp, very comfortable camp.

This is exactly what I was thinking. And thanks for the equipment info. I will look into it.

oldgoat

WKR
I have I think those same model sleeping bags, I use the Big Agnes Q-Core pads with them, haven't tried those pads so they may work, I would try to make sure before you buy them. You may already know this, but just in case you didn't, the Big Agnes bags are designed for the pad to fit inside a sleeve on the bottom of the bag and there's no insulation in the bottom of the bag, so if you slip off the pad, you will be virtually directly on the ground. We use the Klymit X pillow with our Big Agnes and it works well.
Think somebody mentioned it, but keep a light weight flat tarp in your backpack, get in one good rain storm and you will be glad you did!

OP
F
I have I think those same model sleeping bags, I use the Big Agnes Q-Core pads with them, haven't tried those pads so they may work, I would try to make sure before you buy them. You may already know this, but just in case you didn't, the Big Agnes bags are designed for the pad to fit inside a sleeve on the bottom of the bag and there's no insulation in the bottom of the bag, so if you slip off the pad, you will be virtually directly on the ground. We use the Klymit X pillow with our Big Agnes and it works well.
Think somebody mentioned it, but keep a light weight flat tarp in your backpack, get in one good rain storm and you will be glad you did!

How do you like the Big Agnes bag? And yes I was aware that they had to be used with a pad. With what I read for my size any 77x25" pad will work but will confirm before purchase.

Does anyone have any opinions on the rest of the equipment I listed and ideally first hand use?

sneaky

"DADDY"
How do you like the Big Agnes bag? And yes I was aware that they had to be used with a pad. With what I read for my size any 77x25" pad will work but will confirm before purchase.

Does anyone have any opinions on the rest of the equipment I listed and ideally first hand use?

I would double check if a 25" wide and long pad fits in the sleeve. On my Storm King it would only hold a standard length and width pad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR

We really like them, only downfalls, they are heavy including the pad, if your pad craps out and you can't fix it for whatever reason then you are SOL. The pads come with a repair kit, but if a seam gives out versus just getting a puncture then they can't be fixed and your on the ground with virtually no padding or insulation. They were super comfortable and the rating is good. My wife still uses hers, but I've gone to a Kifaru Center Zip and a Foam pad, solite or something like that. My wife is in her mid fifties and has arthritis pretty bad and can sleep on the ground for a week in her bag pad combo, I think that's a pretty good testimony to those bags and pads!

OP
F
We really like them, only downfalls, they are heavy including the pad, if your pad craps out and you can't fix it for whatever reason then you are SOL. The pads come with a repair kit, but if a seam gives out versus just getting a puncture then they can't be fixed and your on the ground with virtually no padding or insulation. They were super comfortable and the rating is good. My wife still uses hers, but I've gone to a Kifaru Center Zip and a Foam pad, solite or something like that. My wife is in her mid fifties and has arthritis pretty bad and can sleep on the ground for a week in her bag pad combo, I think that's a pretty good testimony to those bags and pads!

Based upon the specs that Kifaru puts on their website their bag seems significantly smaller. How much difference is there between the two?As I said I am a big boy and most bags seem like they would be way too small for me.

cnelk

WKR
Definitely bring another tarp - or two - for external gear storage.

Hang up your bows so chipmunks dont chew on your strings/cables

AoUFdQy.jpg

It was advised above to have wool under layers. I'd advise against that backpack hunting. Merino DOES NOT dry like polyester. Period. If you get sweaty you will be hours drying out. Polyester will dry in 30 minutes if it is soaked. Much less damp from sweat. People complain of the smell after a couple days. I like being clean as much as anyone but, a back pack camp isn't time to sacrifice a better option for vanity. I'd advise you to buy function and wash it when you get done.

Wool base layers are great when you have a base camp heated to dry things, and it is very warm and regulates temps well. But, it isn't my choice against the skin when you don't have those options. Of course that is just my preference. Others have and will disagree. God Bless and Good luck

oldgoat

WKR
Based upon the specs that Kifaru puts on their website their bag seems significantly smaller. How much difference is there between the two?As I said I am a big boy and most bags seem like they would be way too small for me.

The regular width are a lot smaller but they don't feel small, I have bought a regular width and a wide width, haven't actually slept in the wide yet but it really looks a lot bigger. Think it's because of the center zip, it really seems to move with you, so if I sleep on my side, the whole bag rotates with me versus me just rotating in the bag. The 20 degree model isn't as warm as the Big Agnes you mentioned. I climbed into mine soaking wet with all my clothes and boots last weekend of last elk season and stayed warm and woke up dry except for my boots and socks, that might of happened in the Big Agnes too, but I don't know if I would of tried it. That Apex insulation works! If your interested in them, I highly recommend calling Kifaru and talking to Frank or Aron, they will know if there wide long would work for you and what temp to get.

OP
F
The regular width are a lot smaller but they don't feel small, I have bought a regular width and a wide width, haven't actually slept in the wide yet but it really looks a lot bigger. Think it's because of the center zip, it really seems to move with you, so if I sleep on my side, the whole bag rotates with me versus me just rotating in the bag. The 20 degree model isn't as warm as the Big Agnes you mentioned. I climbed into mine soaking wet with all my clothes and boots last weekend of last elk season and stayed warm and woke up dry except for my boots and socks, that might of happened in the Big Agnes too, but I don't know if I would of tried it. That Apex insulation works! If your interested in them, I highly recommend calling Kifaru and talking to Frank or Aron, they will know if there wide long would work for you and what temp to get.

Thanks for the info. I think based upon the specs showing the big Agnes is larger, you've confirmed it's warmer and it's significantly less expensive. I will be getting this for my son and I. I am willing to give up some weight savings for enhanced comfort. Happy Easter!