5th wheel or Travel Trailer?

Billinsd

WKR
5th wheel are more maneuverable, part of the trailer sticks over the bed of the truck, they are more spacious. However, you need a bigger truck, they get less gas mileage, they are more expensive than a travel trailer. Would I have to buy a bigger, more expensive truck to pull a 5th wheel?

I like the idea of a 5th wheel. What are your experiences with 5th wheels? I want to buy one in about 5 years, when I can use it, probably used. Is used a bad idea?

Here is my loaded question, how much would a decent, clean, dependable 5th wheel cost, say around 30 feet long? It would be for my wife and me and we would want to be real comfortable for many weeks in it.

Please excuse my ignorance about trailers.......

Thanks
Bill

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
What are you planning to use it for? That's the biggest question.

5th Wheel - usually rather large and tough to get anywhere considered off the beaten path, need a stout truck to pull and deal with the wind-sail behind you
Pull-behind travel trailer - usually smaller than 5th wheel, tough to get much off the road too, depending on size, can be pulled with smaller truck
Slide-in truck-bed camper - lots of options, can be up to a triple-slide, no extra axles to deal with - everything's on the truck, much easier to get further off road, etc.

We have a truck-bed slide-in camper. Use it all summer long and then for hunting season as well. Makes for an awesome basecamp and allows for hauling a trailer too, with 4Wheelers and stuff & bring back critters in. Going to be moving up to a triple-slide version for the added room. I'm 6'4" and the triple-slides are made with king size beds. Requires at least a 1 ton dually truck but, still have the ability to get somewhat off-road.

Let us know some more of your specific, planned usage and we can help more.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
That's great info, thanks. From what you wrote, the 5th wheel is out. Slide in truck bed camper looks great!!

I want to use it for long hunting trips, summer fishing, and vacations. Staying in a location for several weeks or so at a time. My wife and me, maybe the 2 kids some of the time. We would want a nice big bed, shower, etc. I'd like to be able to comfortably live in it for half of the year.

The truck bed camper looks to fit my needs the best!! I'd like to be able to get off the paved road and camp in forest land, blm land, or primitive camp sites for free, cheap. What's the down side of truck camper? Hard to drive in the wind? Low MPG compared to travel trailer?

Probably biggest negative with a truck camper is less room? How hard would it be to slide off the truck and put back on?

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

ROJO23

FNG
I have had both 5th wheel and travel trailers. I have a 2500 Duramax, as far as towing the 5th wheel was much more comfortable riding. It was a lot less bouncy. you also need to consider that a 30' 5th wheel may only extend 25' behind the truck, where the 30' travel trailer will be around 35'. The 5th wheel was much easier to back into place

There are lightweight versions of both 5th wheels and travel trailers that can be towed with a 1500 truck. I thought our 5th wheel was much more comfortable. The bedroom and bathroom were at the front, and it left the rear for relaxing.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I have had both 5th wheel and travel trailers. I have a 2500 Duramax, as far as towing the 5th wheel was much more comfortable riding. It was a lot less bouncy. you also need to consider that a 30' 5th wheel may only extend 25' behind the truck, where the 30' travel trailer will be around 35'. The 5th wheel was much easier to back into place

There are lightweight versions of both 5th wheels and travel trailers that can be towed with a 1500 truck. I thought our 5th wheel was much more comfortable. The bedroom and bathroom were at the front, and it left the rear for relaxing.
Thanks, what you said is what I've heard.

I just got done liquidating my dads trailer collection. Small travel trailer. Mid sized toy hauler and a tuck bed camper.

I am not a trailer guy but used each a bit in the process.

- 25 foot Travel trailer tows easy on a 1500. I liked the lay out and comfort.
- toy haulers are neat if you have a bike or atv but you compromise a lot on comfort and they are heavy because of the heavy decking needed in the garage. You also have to drop the ramp and unload your bike or atv before you can use it each night. These are a cool idea but probably best for a hardcore bike or atv user.
- bed camper. His was a lancer 14 something. Hated the layout and it is a pain in the ass to mount and dismount. It drove ok but it will kill your gas mileage perhaps more than towing a trailer and I don’t know why.

If I were offering some advice, I would say heed the advice to have an good idea of how you want to use it and then go to a few RV shows and rent one a time or two before you buy. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying one and deciding you don’t like it and buying another like my dad did. Check out county fairs and places like that. A regional RV guy sets up at our county fair in the fall with a few dozen models. He is usually offering steep discounts if you buy on the spot. I presume he is pruning model year end inventory and saving his return transport costs.

My dad bought new and used. Big value drop on the new in just a few years. Used seems to hold value a lot better. Buy used below the snow line if you can. Seems like the roofs don’t do snow as well as sun. Don’t buy anything with water damage or roof leaks.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Thanks. Yes, I'll have to rent them out first. Big ? Is my wife. She will like something real big and comfy. If she ends up not liking to RV, I will get something cheaper that I like. Better to have a small trailer to go on solo hunting trips, etc. It's a real big unknown in the future. My wife will probably want to be around my kids after college and then there is her 2 sisters and aging parents. Worst thing I could do is buy a big dually, 5th wheel and she never wants to go. Similar think happened mountain biking, I was all set to buy her double suspension bike for $3,000 and instead bought her front suspension bike for less than a grand. She rides that bike 2 days a year. It was worth it and it will last a long, long time. I'd say it's a coin toss with my wife if she will like and want to RV a lot.

dotman

WKR
For all you want a slide in truck camper will be tight. No way I’d do one with kids. We have a 24ft tandem axle that is super easy to tow around and has a slide to add space with a huge bathroom and Murphy bed. I go to many places with 4x4 roads and would never take my pickup down these roads yet can camp on forest service land easily enough and ride an atv to explore. I didn’t get a toy hauler cause I didn’t like the layouts or want to deal with possible fumes. Atv goes in the bed of the pickup.

I bought used and got one in really good condition. Don’t buy one with a ceiling stains, a weak feeling roof when you walk around on it, soft spots in the floors and without testing all the mechanicals. If you’ll be boondooking update to 2 6v batteries. The camper forums have tons of good info as well. Also if it looks like it wasn’t taken care of just move on, you don’t want an expensive project.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
For all you want a slide in truck camper will be tight. No way I’d do one with kids. We have a 24ft tandem axle that is super easy to tow around and has a slide to add space with a huge bathroom and Murphy bed. I go to many places with 4x4 roads and would never take my pickup down these roads yet can camp on forest service land easily enough and ride an atv to explore. I didn’t get a toy hauler cause I didn’t like the layouts or want to deal with possible fumes. Atv goes in the bed of the pickup.
Sounds good too.

I am on my second trailer. First we had a 20ft R-pod and it was a great "little" trailer. We would get it back in some nice spots. However, it was little and not very comfortable inside. It did what it needed but we just wanted more room and comfort. We upgraded to a 30ft bumper pull toy hauler with a large slide out. The room and comfort is amazing. We can spend all day in it and don't feel cramped with the 2 of us and the dog. The down side is it is big and heavy. We are now limited to easy access camping spots. I really wanted a 5th wheel but also wanted a toy hauler and my budget just wasnt quite there. My next trailer will be a 5th wheel.

My suggestion is look for something in that 25ft range with dual slides and you should have a nice size trailer with lots of room.

wyosteve

WKR
Since no one has mentioned this, I'll throw it out. If you plan to tow a lot in the west, be very cautious if you get a bumper pull trailer due to the wind. The tail ends up wagging the dog and I've seen more wrecks here in Wyo. with bumper pulls that flip over in the wind. A fifth wheel doesn't have similar issues due to the connecting point. Also, if you go truck camper, be sure you have enough truck to haul it as some can weigh a bunch and may necessitate air bags or other suspension upgrades.

dotman

WKR
Since no one has mentioned this, I'll throw it out. If you plan to tow a lot in the west, be very cautious if you get a bumper pull trailer due to the wind. The tail ends up wagging the dog and I've seen more wrecks here in Wyo. with bumper pulls that flip over in the wind. A fifth wheel doesn't have similar issues due to the connecting point. Also, if you go truck camper, be sure you have enough truck to haul it as some can weigh a bunch and may necessitate air bags or other suspension upgrades.

Wonder how much this has to due with improper setup or lack of a wdh with stabilization and or speed.

elkduds

WKR
Issues not yet covered: Smoking. If you are not OK w smoking smell, do research to find out if the unit was really smoked in. Check undersides of cushions for any smell when compressed. That smell never goes away, and lots of RVers seem to smoke.

A large slide for sofa/dinette creates a bigger sense of space and adds to liveability. Bedroom slide, less important IMO.

Towing rapidly ages campers. If you can find one that only was pulled from the dealer to someone's permanent campsite, it will have fewer issues than one that has every state on the US map colored in.

Enjoy becoming a Happy Camper. There are more youtube RV how-to videos than you could view in a lifetime, as noted above.

I had two pull behind trailers. I really wanted a 5th wheel, but had a GMC Yukon XL to pull the trailer, not a pick-up. The pull behind had a load-leveling equalizer hitch with sway bars (highly recommended if it is not required by law). Some camper friends had 5th wheels, that were much nicer on the inside than my pull-behind. They had bigger bathrooms, with hot tubs, and glass showers. We just had a corner shower in a tiny bathroom.
One thing to be aware of when looking at trailers. When you are trying to determine what your vehicle is capable of towing (weight), you have to consider "EVERYTHING" in the trailer that adds weight. The label on the tongue of the trailer is the weight of the trailer without anything added at the factory. When you put an awning, dishes, fill the freshwater tanks with water, propane tanks, sheets, blankets, pots and pans, etc, etc you have to add that weight to the trailer and reconsider the towing capacity of your vehicle. Remember that all of your towing won't be on level ground on a straight highway. Some trailers are advertised as "light", and the sticker says it is 4800 pounds but add an awning, a/c, and basic contents, and you could be well over the weight your vehicle can tow. When you get out West, you will see these people in the right lane going 10 miles an hour trying to get up the upgrade. Not to mention the chance of causing too much stress on your vehicle's powertrain and brake system.

If I had to do it again, I would get a 5th wheel and buy a GM 2500 Duramax. Most campers that I know much prefer the 5th wheel over the pull behind.

Last edited:
OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Great info all!!! I'm out West in San Diego and have real high winds east of me and north of me trying to get out of California. I got a Tacoma and tent camp right now, so any kind of bigger truck and trailer would be real nice. This set up is fine for me now at 55, and for short trips in warm, cool weather. I'd like to start pulling a trailer for hunting in 5 or 7 years when I have more time to spend in places and to be more comfortable, especially when it's cold. It would be me mostly solo at first. In about 10 years maybe my wife would be with me a lot.

If I was free to travel and hunt to my hearts desire, I really like the GM 2500 Duramax and a 5th wheel. I may do that in the future, but probably not for another 10 years. I really enjoy planning and thinking about options. The next truck will not be a small Tacoma, it will be something probably much larger for towing. So many options. Thanks!

Wild Bob

FNG
West of Rough Rider Country, east of the Divide
Personally, based on my experiences: I prefer a travel trailer for this simple fact - we are not limited on pulling it.

I've got a hitch set up on my 3/4 ton pu and I also have everything set up on my wife's 'Burb. This has really been helpful for those weekends that can turn into long weekends (depending on who has to be back to work when). It also offers so much more flexibility than being limited to pulling it with only one rig.

As far as space - we run a 25 footer and it is plenty for just me and the wife. Often, we have one of my boys with us and that makes it a little cramped...but it still works fine. So I would think a 30 would give you plenty of room. Just keep in mind the places you want to get your trailer in and out of...There have been a lot of times we've been able to get into areas that guys with longer TT's couldn't get into.

Biggest issues that I've learned to watch for in running a travel trailer: 1) get one with the best clearance you can find (and there are number of these newer models that have decent clearance compared to the older ones and 2) look for the sewer clean out to be tight (close to the frame) and located in a good spot to avoid issues. Our first Jayco had the clean outs all the way towards the back, and it was a pain because we constantly had to watch for it hanging up in rougher/uneven terrain.

Good luck and hope you find one that suits your needs.

Bill's was a question I debated a lot. In the end I bought a Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel crewcab shortbed (not a dually) with maximum bed load capacity, sway bars etc. That was after I bought my truck camper...a Northern Lite cab-over for a shortbed. These campers are heavy...mine weighs 2200# empty. Add 40 gallons of water (320#), two 6-volt batteries (120#?), fill the 6 cubic foot ref/freezer (30#), etc! My point is don't buy a 3/4 ton truck if you plan on getting a truck camper, it will be overloaded. Here in BC they will fine you and stop you from traveling for being over your placard weight capacity (on your door frame and your license plates are based on this). Adding airbags or additional springs will not make you legal, (but will help carry the load).

I find the truck camper to be great for me for solo hunting and often go to AZ for weeks Coues deer hunting in total comfort. When I have my wife along or another friend it is OK but cozy. More than two people is a none starter.

I can take my camper off in about 20 - 30 minutes and frequently do when I want to use my truck to run around hunting. I carry a 2x4 in the camper bumper to use as a tailgate, since you take off your tailgate with the camper. Putting the camper on by yourself is a bit of a pain...usually takes me about 45 minutes depending on how lucky I get on alignment. My camper came with Happy Jacks (electric jacks). I wouldn't dream of having one with manual jacks. You have to raise them too high.

If you want to tow with the camper on...it extends about 2' past the truck bed (hangs down too) so you need a long hitch extender. Mine works well to tow the boat, the open quad trailer or my cargo trailer with the RZR in it. Adding a cargo trailer behind the camper is a great option for hunting to fit more gear in, as well as providing a place for meat, a place for a friend to sleep in if you don't want to share the queen bed space with them, etc.

The outside shower is great and more comfortable than you'd imagine, even when it is below freezing. My inside (wet bath) shower and toilet have never been used...too small to be practical. As per using them in cold weather watered up, I get panicky at sustained temps below about 20*F and will winterize the water system with RV Antifreeze (takes about 30 minutes and 1.5 gallons of AF). My camper is a 4-season camper but I would rather not deal with broken fittings due to freezing.

Mileage on my truck running empty is typically 18-20 mpg. With the camper on it drops to 12-14 mpg. It doesn't seem to affect mileage at all when I pull the cargo trailer or flat deck behind the camper, although just the empty truck with the cargo trailer drops to 16 mpg, as the cargo trailer alone has a lot of wind resistance from frontal area, but fits into the slip-stream of the camper with little noticeable affect.

Anyway, after 5 seasons of use (over 200 days) I'd still buy the same thing. I've learned a lot about it and like the comfort and freedom to take it in a ways on rougher roads than I could pull a trailer or 5th wheel.

Good luck with your decision.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
What Blockcaver said above pretty much describes where we are with our slide-in truck camper. We currently have a 4-season Adventurer with a slide-out for the dinette. Really helps with the roominess but, we are going to go up to one of the triple-slides to get just that much more room. And, still be maneuverable enough to get somewhat off-road.

The current Adventurer is setup to be used with a short or long-box. Center of gravity fits just fine in our current shortbox F-350. Added the Torque-lift Stabil-load setup to the springs and we could go just about where ever we wanted.

Just bought the new/used Ford F-350 dually last week and getting it setup for the bigger camper. Looking at the Host Mammoth or Eagle Cap 1260. Hopefully, by mid-May, we'll be moving on a deal with one of them.

I have come to prefer the slide-in camper for our use. Keeps the hitch available for towing the atv trailer or enclosed trailer. If you have the truck for it, I would suggest considering one of these. For 2 people and a dog, they work and still give quite a bit of flexibility.

kicker338

WKR
My experience from tent to 2 popup tent trailers to my present one a 24 ft jayco hybrid. Will skip the tent but first popup was a Viking, biggest one they made, folded out to24Ft. It's still sitting in my backyard and gets used often by me or my kids families. For what it's worth, it's 30yrs. old and still going strong ad no leaks. The next one was a Fleetwood hilander with a slide out dinette, had it for 5yrs till I got the present one.
To break them all down, the popup's are the easiest to pull and maneuver out in the woods, you can get them into places a full size won't go. The negatives are how much gear ouy can put in one, water and sewer limits and setup time and take down in the rain. I wouldn't pull one of the bigger popup's with anything smaller than a half ton though. My jayco tt is a good comprise for me and the wife, it has 3 foldout sleepers and a slide out dinette. Best part is with the fold out sleepers is it's more like a 30+ ft trailer

Towing any tt unless it's a small one, a weight dist. hitch is a must using a half ton. 2 other things that help a lot is airbag's and an antisway bar that attaches to the trailer and the trucks hitch. The air bags stop the bounce common with half ton"s and the sway bar makes towing in cross winds pretty easy.

5th wheels are a bit of a diff. story, although never owning one , some of my friends have them. The plus's for them, a whole lotta room but the negitave's are for most of them you have to have a 3/4 ton. The can be a challenge out in the woods to park because of the off tracking of 5th. wheelers. Another issue is high winds on highways, compaired to tt's they act like a jiant wind sail, the higth can be a problem in the woods too. the back breaker to me though is 2 things, the need for a 3'4 ton and the loss of the truck bed, very little space left for anything in the bed with a 5th wheel.

Last and least to me is a camper, had one a number of yrs ago. 3yrs and it was gone, will never have another one.