Woodsman race?

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking at events like train to hunt alpha Bowhunting and such and was thinking about something that would involve other aspects of hunting and woodsmanship.

My thoughts were have a starting point.

Contestants leave with camp on their backs.

Using a map and compass (no gps) get to a check point.

At different check points have different tasks be performed.

Build a fire with knife and ferro rod. No lighters or fire starters and boil 1 liter water.

Use your filter set up to filter 2 liters of water

Exercise check points.

Get to a location and timer ends. set up camp and stay the night.

The next day perform different shooting tasks.

Archery station

Clay shooting station

Long range rifle shooting

Times from day one and scores from shooting the next day determine the winner.

I know this would require a large event but was just wondering if anything like this existed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds a lot like the black powder rendezvous mountain walks I used to compete in decades ago with the addition of an overnight stay! Various field shooting skills, fire starting (had to use flint and steel and burn a string 12-16" above the ground, orienteering (meets and bounds, no compass), hawk throw, log chop, etcetera.)

(P.S. Of course, what do I know, this also sounds like my last round playing golf also....)

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
While not technically a woodsman race, the Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic is a bucket list race for me. Nothing hunting related about it but it's a gnarly, sometimes no sleep, foot/packraft race across a remote part of AK. I think there's a few cats on here who could represent well:

2016 Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic

I did this jackass adventure race years ago. I remember running up a hill and coming to a picnic table with an operation game on it and a race staffer. Pull 3 bones without a buzzer or you have to run back to the bottom of the hill and try again. 3 trips total.

That sucked. Shaky hands.

OP
S

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
My thoughts were that it would be a race but also require the competitor to factor in comfort and weight. Instead of everyone carrying 50 pounds you would have to decide if you wanted to be fast or comfortable at night when going to bed. The quality of sleep you got would then effect how well you were able to shoot the next day.

I am not the most fit person in the world but can get around the woods well and have some skills and thought this would weed out the guys who were supper fit but can’t find their way out of a paper bag. Not discriminating but just think that something that involved some bush crafting could be fun.

Came upon this thought while out snowshoeing and stopped for some dinner on a hill top. Being in the woods is like drugs. It makes a person think of some off the wall shit.

c06d1a4ea45396c0916e141d961b763f.jpg

OP
S

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
While not technically a woodsman race, the Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic is a bucket list race for me. Nothing hunting related about it but it's a gnarly, sometimes no sleep, foot/packraft race across a remote part of AK. I think there's a few cats on here who could represent well:

2016 Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic

That sounds gnarly for sure.