Buying from MTB companies that don’t support anti hunting

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to buy some quality mountain biking shorts and I know some of the top outdoor industry companies support anti hunting causes. A few of the companies that came up when I researched MTB gear was Patagonia wnd Pearl Izumi. Patagonia came up as one of the worst ones as far as who they support but make quality stuff from what I read. Couldn’t find anything on Pearl Izumi. Is there a dependable source to use that can look up information on who these companies are supporting? I’m just careful about who I give my money to and won’t pay for stuff from anti hunting companies

RockWest

FNG
I have no idea, but I would also appreciate a list of companies that are in some way activily opposed to hunting

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
Do UA shorts not work? I’ve used them for years (on mountain bikes) with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
This video is very interesting based on what I've read over the years...

[video=youtube;3VmjDNL0-lE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VmjDNL0-lE[/video]

Good thread.

Not judging Patagonia specifically, but I find it ironic when outdoor companies decide to take a stand against hunting or firearms and alienate their customer base.

REI and Dicks come to mind. They lost my business.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Do UA shorts not work? I’ve used them for years (on mountain bikes) with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at their website and didn’t find any.. specifically looking for the liners with the pad since I’m riding close to 100 miles a week

boom

WKR
at the end of the season, my ass is so toughened i can wear whatever shorts..

I am very ignorant on this. Just from watching the video, it would seem like they are good guys. I have known for years that patagonia is pro fishing, but the guy even says he has been hunting on public lands. What does patagonia do that works against hunters? No hidden agenda, just ignorant and wanting to learn from you guys.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

texag10

WKR
Most of what I see has been records of donations to groups that are no friend to hunters. With many large companies matching donations to 501c3 organizations I don't get too worked up about someone cherry picking a small donation to the Sierra Club or some wolf reintroduction group.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure you can just buy the padded liner shorts from Giro and then just wear whatever short pants you want

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
LL Bean sells hunting gear so I am assuming they are Pro Hunting. Yeah? Never know these days....
Men's L.L.Bean Comfort Cycling Shorts

As for BHA, I really want to support these guys, but every time I think I have them figured out they make me wonder... I follow them, applaud some of their positions, but can't make the move to sign up......

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty sure you can just buy the padded liner shorts from Giro and then just wear whatever short pants you want

This has always been my preference anyway. By doing so, every pair of shorts you already own become bike shorts. Never owned a pair of Giro, always ran Six Six One but I needed more than just a nacho pad.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
My favorite chamois liner shorts are from Canari. I have several Fox shorts I like too. Not sure on their position on hunting. I bet they are pretty pro-public lands though.

I also have a number of Patagonia pieces that are absolutely top rate. R1 pullovers are awesome.

I met Yvon Chouinard when I was working in a retail flyshop in 1999. It was a long time ago, but I remember we small talked about duck hunting for a bit.

Publicly announcing that Chouinard is a guest speaker at a national gathering of hunters and fisherman doesn't seem too anti-hunting to me, but I will let you know if he is trying to convert hunters to vegans when I am there in a couple weeks. A great part of the BHA is that they bring a lot of people together. People that may not agree on everything, but come together for public lands.

I think major mainstream companies publicly supporting hunters and anglers can only be a good thing.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the video he does say he has fished and hunted all over public land.

Absolutely, I’m not hating on Patagonia at all. I think people snap judge sometimes based upon internet heresay. I remember a thread on here a few months/years back where a member actually contacted a lot of popular companies. Based on the posted email responses, I’d boycott Jetboil before Patagonia.

dotman

WKR
Absolutely, I’m not hating on Patagonia at all. I think people snap judge sometimes based upon internet heresay. I remember a thread on here a few months/years back where a member actually contacted a lot of popular companies. Based on the posted email responses, I’d boycott Jetboil before Patagonia.

I agree, for some reason I’ve never thought Patagonia was antihunting just not a hunting oriented company.