Fitness Tracking Watches

D_Eightch

WKR
Looking at getting a watch that will track sleep, heart rate and if possible bike rides and running data. Looking at really dialing in and analyzing my training this year.

Was looking at the Garmin Fenix 3 HR,

Looking for anybody with experience with this watch or anything similar and pros/cons to each.

KurtR

WKR
i just got the garmin vivosmart 3 and like it. It is pretty simple but does a good job of keeping track of that stuff

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
The Fenix series is good for outdoor activities. I have an older Fenix 2 and use it for all my trails runs. It gives a lot of data such as mileage, elevation (ascent, descent, etc), pace, cadence, and a lot more. It can be setup for a multitude of activities including running, biking, swimming, XC Ski, hiking, and more. I've never used it as a step counter or sleep tracker, but I assume it would do just fine.

If you're looking for a watch to handle serious outdoor activities, I would get a Fenix or look at the Suunto watches. If you're primarily concerned with steps, sleep monitoring, and simple runs something like the Vivosmart would make more sense from a financial standpoint.

OP
D_Eightch

D_Eightch

WKR
The Fenix series is good for outdoor activities. I have an older Fenix 2 and use it for all my trails runs. It gives a lot of data such as mileage, elevation (ascent, descent, etc), pace, cadence, and a lot more. It can be setup for a multitude of activities including running, biking, swimming, XC Ski, hiking, and more. I've never used it as a step counter or sleep tracker, but I assume it would do just fine.

If you're looking for a watch to handle serious outdoor activities, I would get a Fenix or look at the Suunto watches. If you're primarily concerned with steps, sleep monitoring, and simple runs something like the Vivosmart would make more sense from a financial standpoint.

I intend to use it as a training tool and would like all of the information the Fenix puts out. Could care less about steps, but an accurate GPS for running would be nice. I've always wondered about sleep quality so having that as a function would be more of a bonus than anything.

I will look more into the Suunto as well. Thanks

SWOHTR

WKR
I have a Garmin watch of sorts. Things you should take into consideration you might not otherwise have:

1. Can the buttons be locked? Mine is a GPS watch, the "Find location" button is on the wrist edge and I bump it all the time. The button can't be locked, so if you accidentally bump the button, it will find your location and beep continuously, usually when you absolutely don't want the watch to make noise.

2. My watch doesn't have a "lap" capability. It has a timer, but you can't measure individual laps with it.

3. Similarly, you can't set a timer on the watch. So if you want to do something for ten minutes, you can't set a ten minute timer. You can run the stop watch, but you have to start and stop it.

4. The watch face does not display "seconds," only hours and minutes.

5. GPS acquisition time sucks if you want to find your position "now," but if you accidentally bump the button...it will find your position really quickly.

Overall satisfaction is 5/10 with the watch. It was a gift from my wife and I'll use it until it breaks...then I'll get something that remedies the above problems. I do think it is HR monitor capable though.

I've got a Fitbit. It tracks your sleep and sleep stages, heart rate, and will track runs, etc. Not sure if it tracks bike rides or not, but it'll tell you how many calories you burn and all that stuff on any given workout.

I have been wearing a fenix 3 hr everyday for 2 years. If all you want is sleep, heart rate, and steps just get a fitbit. The garmin fenix series is an awesome watch if you're looking to track activities. It will do everything from running, biking, swimming, skiing, etc. I would recommend to get the sapphire edition with the tougher glass on the face. I bump it all the time and there still are zero scratches on the glass. The only problem I ever have with mine is the altimeter giving weird reading every once in awhile until I recalibrate it.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier for the same thing. The thing is friggin awesome. It's kinda scary how much it knows what you're doing at that time.

And I don't feel like a Mouth Breathing Drone all the time by pulling my phone out of my pocket every time it beeps. A quick glance at the watch lets me know whether or not I need to answer the phone.

robie

WKR
I've got the fenix 3 HR and love it. Great watch. Battery last a week between charges. Glass stands up to abuse.

If you are ok with refub amazon has is for $240. Its been as low as $225. LINK

I didn't see any features on the Fenix 5 Sapphire that could justify double the price.

I've had the fitbit and like this much better as an actual watch that does all the extras vs a step tracker that tells time.

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had a garmin 920 for the last two years, had the 910 before that, its a great watch. Downloads via bluetooth to my phone after every run/bike etc.. and has all the information I need on it...I usually need to charge it about once a week...

Brendan

WKR
I have a Garmin watch of sorts. Things you should take into consideration you might not otherwise have:

1. Can the buttons be locked? Mine is a GPS watch, the "Find location" button is on the wrist edge and I bump it all the time. The button can't be locked, so if you accidentally bump the button, it will find your location and beep continuously, usually when you absolutely don't want the watch to make noise.

2. My watch doesn't have a "lap" capability. It has a timer, but you can't measure individual laps with it.

3. Similarly, you can't set a timer on the watch. So if you want to do something for ten minutes, you can't set a ten minute timer. You can run the stop watch, but you have to start and stop it.

4. The watch face does not display "seconds," only hours and minutes.

5. GPS acquisition time sucks if you want to find your position "now," but if you accidentally bump the button...it will find your position really quickly.

Overall satisfaction is 5/10 with the watch. It was a gift from my wife and I'll use it until it breaks...then I'll get something that remedies the above problems. I do think it is HR monitor capable though.

Which Garmin do you have? I've got the Fenix 5 and:

1. Agree I don't think they can be locked, but I don't really find myself bumping them on. Rarely, maybe.

2. Mine has Lap capability.

3. You can download new Apps / Widgets that do this through Garmin

4. Mine displays seconds, depends on the app/widget that you're using. I use mine for a workout / set trainer in the gym multiple times a week (not a countdown timer, just minutes and seconds)

5. You're right - seems spotty sometimes. Usually it's really fast, but then you have those stupid times it just doesn't want to work super quick. That's probably all watches to be honest...

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Fenix 5 I believe also Fenix 3 can be locked in the Wigets Hold down your Light button top left if your looking at the watch and you should see Lock keys in there. If you dont find it in there you need to add the widget.

I was just about to get the samsung but I saw it was not waterproof....dealbreaker for sure.

I have had a vivoactive hr for over a year and have been pretty happy with it. Doesn't looks as cool as a fenix but it was half the price. but, eventually, Ill get a fenix :).

SWOHTR

WKR
Which Garmin do you have? I've got the Fenix 5 and:

1. Agree I don't think they can be locked, but I don't really find myself bumping them on. Rarely, maybe.

2. Mine has Lap capability.

3. You can download new Apps / Widgets that do this through Garmin

4. Mine displays seconds, depends on the app/widget that you're using. I use mine for a workout / set trainer in the gym multiple times a week (not a countdown timer, just minutes and seconds)

5. You're right - seems spotty sometimes. Usually it's really fast, but then you have those stupid times it just doesn't want to work super quick. That's probably all watches to be honest...

Mine's a Forerunner 15. Pretty entry level. I brought up the above points just as things to consider that might not otherwise be considered. I've found the "bumping" to be when putting a backpack on/taking it off and actually, a stiff-cuffed jacket.

I have the vivoactive HR and the fenix 3. I liked the vivoactive but shortly after a year of use it developed a dead spot in the touch screen making some functions unusable. Garmin did warranty it but I decided to try the fenix out.

I have had it for about 3 weeks and am loving it. Bumping the buttons inadvertently was a concern of mine but I have done some pretty intensive workouts including push-ups and burpees and have yet to bump the buttons on it. The only complaint I would have on it is that the vibration intensity is a little weak compared to the vivoactive.

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Good deal. Which model did you end up going with?

For those wondering about locking the buttons on a Fenix, I can lock my Fenix 2. I assume all later Fenix models can be locked as well.

2ski

WKR
Sorry I saw this after you ordered. Get a forerunner 735xt by garmin. It's made for people training for a triathlon so it's good for swimming, running, and biking. Measures sleep, heart rate, colories burned, it pairs with the underarmor myfitness pal so you can track calories consumed. Lactic threshold. O2 max. You can download different faces for the watch. There are different "apps" you can download for hiking and skiing and such also. Most watches use barometric to measure altitude. This one doesn't. Off the top of my head I don't remember what it uses but by my thinking mine it is more accurate on the elevation with what it has. I don't get weather forecasts but whoopity do.

Just like what you're getting you can pair it with the garmin app and get miles and maps of your trainings. It has a lap function. I really like mine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk