Tundra Shortbed tailgate loading issues?

Billinsd

WKR
I'm interested in a Tundra for my next truck, however, I've heard that the tailgate on the shortbed, cracks and/or bends under a load?

Do any of you with shortbeds have tailgate issues when hauling an atv in the bed with the tailgate down?
Thanks
Bill

alaskanparret

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t speak for the tailgate issues, but I have over 220,000 hard miles on my Tundra with no issues. My friends are sold on them after seeing what I put mine through and how well it still works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slap a DeeZee tailgate assist on it. Best $30 I ever spent. Assist shown at 30 second mark.

[video=youtube;0-jNhzTS9cY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jNhzTS9cY[/video]

I am sure you could bend them or break them like any other tailgate if you put too much weight on them.

I have also heard they can bounce off the hinges if the tailgate is down. My brother in law put a $2 pipe clamp on his Tundra extended cab and it solves the issue. I haven't gotten around to it but it seems like an easy fix. Apart from that, I haven't noticed any issues in my two extended cab tundras in seven years.

My other brother in law has a tundra short bed. I will say, I rarely find myself wanting more bed space and quite often wish I had a bigger back seat, especially as my kids get older. My third Tundra will be a crewcut with a shorter bed.

Beendare

WKR
2011 Tundra here, 6'6" bed.....I sometimes haul coolers along with the quad, tailgate down and haven't noticed it flexing at all...but then I can't say I've had what I consider a lot of weight on it.

Tundras are bulletproof...but the gas mileage sucks.

I bought a 2016 2wd in my company after a couple buddies were bragging about the mileage...and they are right, those Ram trucks get great gas mileage. 22 mpg+ on the freeway in that truck...avg's about 18 with a lot of around town...nice truck too.

Broomd

WKR
No tailgate issues for me in the past.

I moved on to an older V6 T100 due to the Tundra's horrendous economy, but one won't find a better truck overall.

bbrown

WKR
Don’t need no stinkin long bed...
View attachment 69990

Definitely not recommended but no tailgate issues here. 4x 4x12s and another 10x 10’ers of 1/2” drywall. Really should have brought my trailer but it got the job done.

Last edited:
OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I wanted to say, do you have issues on the tailgate, when it's down and your ATV rear wheels are weighing on it when you are driving?

SWOHTR

WKR
Zero problems with an ATV in my shortbed GM. If strength and durability is a concern, you'll need either a longer bed or stronger tailgate cables/retainers, not a hydraulic/pneumatic soft close/open damper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not trying to hijack this post, but I've been looking at the Tundras a lot recently. I've always been a GMC guy, but I'm getting tired of all the little rattles and seemingly minor issues that GM doesn't want to fix.

What kind of mileage are you guys getting with your Tundras? Do they still make the newer ones with the 6'6" beds? Need a crew cab to haul the kids around, and would really like a bed that's longer than 5'6" - 5'9".

Also curious about the reliability and any issues that you've found with them. Would be looking at 2015 and newer.

Jackalope

FNG
Mines a beat up 07, but it makes all sorts of squeaks, rattles and pops. Keeping it clean seems to help in that regard as does turning up the stereo. Toyota never made a crew cab standard bed. If you want a school bus you get the 5.5’ bed. You’ll need to go with the extended cab to get the 6.5’ or 8’ bed. Mileage sucks. Mines on 35” tires which I’m sure doesn’t help. I’ve put a starter in it and it’s getting close to water pump time. Otherwise it’s been great.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run a 2005 Double Cab. Bed is long enough to sleep in and the Double Cab is great for kids. The Gen 1 Tundras are sort of a "tweener" truck. Not really a full 1/2 ton in terms of towing and hauling, but more truck than a Tacoma. I like the size in the backcountry, its well built, and its been pretty reliable. I rebuilt the suspension from the ground up so I could add 33" tires, adding a Kenwood deck for Bluetooth connectivity, and run a Leer Canopy. If I had to tow on a regular basis I'd need to rethink but its good nimble set up I can camp in and run around in. Been a while since I tracked gas mileage though...

KurtR

WKR
Got a 14 crew cab no problem with tail gait bought it used it has 57000 miles on it now with no problems. Gas mileage is 13-15 ish depending on how i drive it. I love it and so does my wife she now wants a four runner.

Beendare

WKR
Not trying to hijack this post, but I've been looking at the Tundras a lot recently. I've always been a GMC guy, but I'm getting tired of all the little rattles and seemingly minor issues that GM doesn't want to fix.

What kind of mileage are you guys getting with your Tundras?

When I had to do both front wheel bearings on my 05 Chevy diesel at about 55k miles....plus a couple other issues....I was done with Chevy's.

My 2011 Tundra 4wd has some big Toyo tires on it that don't help the mileage but I avg 13.7MPG with 60% town, 40% fwy. My Az buddy aves 14.5 in his Tundra. On a long hunting trip, truck loaded I get 15.5 all freeway. Factor in, I don't drive 65....avg 70-75 fwy. I don't lead foot it around...but I don't drive like I'm 80 either.

What kind of mileage are you guys getting with your Tundras? Do they still make the newer ones with the 6'6" beds? Need a crew cab to haul the kids around, and would really like a bed that's longer than 5'6" - 5'9".

I
Also curious about the reliability and any issues that you've found with them. Would be looking at 2015 and newer.

I bought one last year. Crew Max. It only comes in a short bed unless you get the double cab. I have 2 kids as well and we sat in the double cab. No thanks. Might as well get the Tacoma if you are going to do that IMO. I drive it 100 miles a day. Lots of highway and elevation. I average 17 mpg over a tank. No lift and stock set up. Great truck so far

Thanks for the information guys. I know they come in a few different packages, so I'll have to do some research on them. I like to looks of the factory off-road packages.

I added this to my tacoma and it beefed up the tailgate quite a bit. Maybe you can find something similar for the tundra.

2005-2015 Tacoma Tail Gate Reinforcement – Relentless Off-Road Fabrication

TACOMA...when your rear needs beefing up. Official truck of the LGBTQ community.

OUT4S-Earth-Gay-Tacoma-2014-banner.jpg

Disclaimer: It's just humor.