I Knew This Day Would Come

Man, sorry to hear that. However, have you considered altering your approach rather than throwing in the towel entirely? Rather than hiking way back into steep, nasty country you could hang down low and hunt close to where public land borders private ranches. The scenery will be different, but you can kill elk using either method. Also, antelope hunting is a ton of fun and a great way to experience a western hunt without beating you up physically.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I feel for you Buckman, getting old sucks but it's better than the alternative. I'm 63 and hoping to get out west this year, one of the things I'll be changing on the trip is my food...I'll be taking lots of Prunes. I'm hoping to keep going till I'm at least 70 then my boys(now 5 and 7) will have to lug me in and out.
Keep hunting those Bucks Buckman.

Sturgeon

WKR
It's hard for me at 32 picture ever slowing down, but my dad turned 60 this year and we are heading out to hunt Wyoming elk on general tag. This will be his first time ever in Wyoming and we will be hunting public land for elk. He shot a bull two years ago on lease in CO, but this hunt will be completely different and he has his doubts that he will be repeating this hunt. It's hard to watch a guy you had to chase to keep with as a kid age, but I'm hoping we will make some great memories on this hunt.

Johnboy

WKR
I feel for you Buckman, getting old sucks but it's better than the alternative. I'm 63 and hoping to get out west this year, one of the things I'll be changing on the trip is my food...I'll be taking lots of Prunes. I'm hoping to keep going till I'm at least 70 then my boys(now 5 and 7) will have to lug me in and out.
Keep hunting those Bucks Buckman.

For clarification, are the prunes the means by which you plan to keep going till you're at least 70?

OP
B

Buckman

WKR
Thanks for all the replies guys. Please don't take the quitting elk hunting as i'm quitting hunting all together. I'll still be bow and gun deer hunting here in Wi. Lots of fish here need to meet me. Turkey season is almost here too. Its just the kick ass mountain hunting that i cann't handle any more. I'm so glad i got to do what i got to do at all. Know lots of people that have never experienced mountain hunting and all the feelings of awe you get. Great memories for sure.

EastMT

WKR
My dad is getting to the age the mountains are getting harder on him, I'm 41. I'm taking him goat hunting this year, I'll be packing all of camp, give him his clothes, rifle, food.

He doesn't have too many high up hunts left but I already told him if I have to leap frog meat out and walk 3 times as far, I'll get that goat out for him. Hopefully he gets a skinny old one hahaha.

Diesel

WKR
65 years old and feel all the aches and pains. Knees, back and neck arthritis and a list so long it is boring.

There is much more to hunting than killing. The scenery and solitude are worth the struggle. Maybe leave the rifle at home and take a camera. Pictures are not near as heavy as an elk. Going with friends can be rewarding even if you are not chasing game yourself. The campfire and smells, the stories of the days events, a passing coyote or bobcat, listening to the creek flow by are reason enough to tag along.

Talk it over with the guys. Some guys are not accepting of the getting old thing but most are respectful. There may be other aspects about the trip that will keep you enjoying the mountains. Never stop dreaming.

Mosby

WKR
I knew 3 guys that died hunting in their 60's. They retired and none of the 3 lived a year past retirement. All died on a mountain that they weren't in shape for.

Now that I am in my late 50's I think about them a lot. They were all teachers and coaches and I knew them and their families pretty well. They were pretty tough guys too. The message I got is that I have to loose weight, get in shape and get a physical every year if I want to hunt hard. I am working on a it every day and would encourage everyone who is getting up there in age to do the same.

If your health doesn't allow you to hunt or you just don't enjoy it anymore then I applaud you for being honest with yourself but I would also encourage you to find a way to stay involved and get out of the house. Like others have suggested consider changing how you hunt or what you hunt or just go and hang out in camp. Hot coffee on a cold day in the mountains is always something to look forward too whether you are hunting or not.

Last edited:
Thanks to the OP for sharing. Working with cardiac and cancer patients for the last decade has brought these decisions home on a personal level. Holding shoulders and hands and listening to stories of those whose time has become all too finite has a way of sharpening ones focus and priorities. The analogy of life being like a bag of M &M's... One eats voraciously and recklessly at the start and then slowly begins to pick and choose and chew more slowly as the bag begins to diminish. This holds special significance to me. My heart was always in the mountains of the west-my place predestined in my mind. Enough years finally passed by and i knew i had to leave. Family, friends, and colleagues all thought is was crazy. No friends, no family and no ties. How could i do this? Its been the best move I ever made. Life is much too short and you only have a short time before the rocking chair holds you tight. Love who youll love and sow your seeds where they will grow.
Thanks again to the OP for bringing these thoughts to the surface to those who might still have a full bag of candy and cant see it ever coming to an end.
Blessings

rayporter

WKR
4 years ago [at 65] I met a guy on the trail as i was packing meat and he says 'didn't i meet you here last year?'

'i thought you said it was your last year, how old are ya' when i told him he was singing ' theres hope for me yet' as he went on.

for me things went fast. one month i was jogging 2 miles and by fall i could not walk a mile. 4 docs cant find a problem and i have complained a bunch.

i don't mind the drive out alone and i hunt alone but camp chores do get lonely.

a side note to this. sam and i always knew things would get tough and we tried many times to take a young buck to teach and help. we would take him and furnish camp all he had to do was buy his tag and work. one got an elk but most never seen one. one got shots off a couple of times. they all though it was too much work. none hunt elk now.

so if you read this and have some one to go with put up with his personality no matter the conflict. cause pards are hard to find- that will go.

'