Traeger?

Schism

WKR
I own a Rec Tec 680 and absolutely love the ease of cooking and the quality of food that comes from that grill! That being said, I don’t think that you can go wrong with any of the popular brands of pellet grills out there today. I have friends with Traeger, Green Mountain, Pit Boss, and Louisiana and they all like them and cook great food on them too. Pick one that meets your needs and price and start grilling.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My understanding is a bag of pellets equals similar total btu’s Of a grill sized propane cylinder.

I bought a Pit Boss and used it twice. It went through 20+lbs of pellets to cook two chunks of meat......that can't be right. But I monitored the temperatures the entire time and nothing seemed out of the ordinary......except for the consumption of pellets. I wasn't impressed with the quality of the finished meat either, so I took it back. I can go 2-3 months on one propane 20lb cylinder and I grill a lot. Even slow smoking works well with soaked chips in foil.

I have the smallest Traeger as well. I got it in 2011 and it is still running strong! It has changed how I eat. Ribs, brisket, whole chicken, hams, and pulled pork are now easy for me to make and taste amazing!

Logan T

WKR
Traegers are awesome. They are definitely spendy enough where I couldn’t afford to buy one for myself but we did end up receiving 2 of them as gifts when I got married last summer, the big one and the small one. I think pretty much everything is better cooked on the Traeger, EXCEPT for beef steaks. Gas grill is the way to go still there.

Have not used the small one yet. It’s still in the box and will be saved for use at the lake or with a camper or something like that but the big one has been great. Some people say they don’t do well below 40 degrees but ours has. Wind seems to cause more issues than outside temp does for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KJH

WKR
I've owned a Traeger and a Green Mountain. The Green Mountain is a real upgrade. The traeger never got hot enough when I wanted real heat. The GMG gets right up to 500 in no time and the Traeger never made it passed 400. The dealer said its designed that way :(

Both are well built, but there are better choices out there now... I'd look passed the Teaeger and onto something else.

i wouldn't waste your money.... if you like going out to eat for a good burger or steak it will not happen after you own a pellet grill. I have a GM Daniel Boone and would not get rid of it ever. Eating out is a thing of the past in our house, they are expensive but worth it. Not sure you can find a bad brand anymore so just find the features you like and dive in.

Agross

WKR
i wouldn't waste your money.... if you like going out to eat for a good burger or steak it will not happen after you own a pellet grill. I have a GM Daniel Boone and would not get rid of it ever. Eating out is a thing of the past in our house, they are expensive but worth it. Not sure you can find a bad brand anymore so just find the features you like and dive in.

On the grilla grills? If so why? Just curious.

CorbLand

WKR
Anyone have much experience with the Camp Chef models?

I have used one a couple times. They worked great. Quality is ok. They have gone down hill on the last couple years. Mostly find that some boxes are missing parts and the paint wears off quick.

If I was buying one I would look that the green mountain grill. Never used one, but from a quality stand point they are tanks. Solid built.

I can’t say that I think traegers are worth the money over some of the other brands.

I have a MAK, but have cooked on multiple treagers, a GMG, and a Louisiana grill. All of them work well. Would probably buy a rec tec if I was going the cheaper route.

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Louisiana pellet grill. I’ve made some pretty awesome food with it but, they are not as perfect set it and forget it as some say. I’ve certainly had some issues/learning curve with it. If I was to do it again I’d get a Yoder or a MAK. Buy once cry once. I feel you definitely get what you pay for on these pellet grills. The Traeger,GMG,Pit Boss,Louisiana,Camp Chef are all low end entry level pellet smokers. Will they produce great food? Of course! Have fun and enjoy!

Traeger is great! I've had mine for 4 years.
Anyone can make great meals using a Traeger grill.
Comes with a nice book with recipes for beef, poultry, fish, pork.
If you buy one ask the rep for their jerky pdf and he/she will send it your email.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Traeger. So far, so good. They are pricey, but it has proved to be very versatile and I have had a great meal every time I’ve used it.

My only complaint to this point is needing another method to get a good sear on a steak, but it’s not a big deal to fire up the cast iron on the stove real quick.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Did some venison and antelope tenderloins on the Traeger tonight. Turned out amazing.
2d703da7466fb27252aba5e5f88f3ad0.jpg
242a26547e9e3a13b9942c91b86282fc.jpg
2a8229a4a5865fce68669769349aebc1.jpg

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk