Traeger?

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
So I ended up getting the Traeger Timberline. A bit of an impulse buy I must admit. There are things I LOVE about it but the biggest downfall IMO is the food just isn't smokey. I did a Boston Butt a couple days ago and after being on there for 12+ hours I expected a good smoke. I've done that in my Bradley and there's no mistaking the smoked meat on that sucker for comparison. The thing I LOVE about it is being able to control it from a distance. I ended having to help my Dad with a project and left the house and was a good 5 miles away. Was able to monitor temps and adjust the grill to push through the "stalling" point of the meat. Now that is handy.

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried a secondary form of smoke? I will sometimes use an Amazin smoke tube to get some extra smoke flavor going.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Have you tried a secondary form of smoke? I will sometimes use an Amazin smoke tube to get some extra smoke flavor going.

I haven’t! I’m intrigued. I have no idea what that is and is it compatible with the Timberline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whisky

WKR
I haven’t! I’m intrigued. I have no idea what that is and is it compatible with the Timberline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokers and Pellets - Owens BBQ

Yes they work in any grill or cooker. I use one in my Yoder pretty much every time I use it, for additional smoke. I also use one as a cold smoke source in my BGE or gass grill when I cold smoke stuff.

Pellet ovens are very clean burning, which don't product a strong smoke flavor. Good for some, bad for others. The Bradley smolders pucks and probably produces one the heavier smoke flavors you can get. So you went from one extreme to the next basically.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Smokers and Pellets - Owens BBQ

Yes they work in any grill or cooker. I use one in my Yoder pretty much every time I use it, for additional smoke. I also use one as a cold smoke source in my BGE or gass grill when I cold smoke stuff.

Pellet ovens are very clean burning, which don't product a strong smoke flavor. Good for some, bad for others. The Bradley smolders pucks and probably produces one the heavier smoke flavors you can get. So you went from one extreme to the next basically.

Brilliant. Thanks fellas

satchamo

WKR
I bought a Pit Boss because i got more grill for the price vs a traeger. i got the 700FB seemed to have solid reviews too. ive had it for a month and ive been very pleased.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-700FB-Wood-Fired-Pellet-Grill-w-Flame-Broiler/52162941
My buddy gave me good old traeger Junior elite and got a pit boss that's way bigger and has loved it so far.

That said I've been pretty happy with my "gift". The Jr elite is small but I did a brisket flat last weekend with no issues. I can also fit 2 Boston butts in it as well. Being that small, I have no issue loading it up and taking it elsewhere.

My only complaint is this model doesn't regulate temperature very well. It can have some wild spikes of 20+/- degrees.

If I buy another it won't be a traeger. You are paying 20% more for a name. The offerings from camp chef and pit boss seem to be way more bang for the buck.