High Mountain Lake Fishing - Float Tube or Raft Recommendations

treillw

WKR
Hello,

I'm looking for an ultralight float tube. I want to carry the tube deflated in my backpack into high mountain lakes. What would you guys suggest as being the best option? The wilderness lite tube seems to be the best thing I've come across. Any others out there that are worth looking into?

I was also thinking that a packraft might be a good way to go. I want to be able to use the raft with fins though, so I'm not sure how that would work. Can packrafts get anywhere near as light as the ultralight tubes?

Thanks!

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Watermaster rafts but I don't know if I'd want to try to pack one into a high mountain lake although I'm thinking about trying it this summer. The Kodiak model is 27 lbs and the Grizzly is 23 lbs but that's just the raft weight. They are bottomless similar to a float tube and you can use them with fins and minus the oars on a lake. Quite a bit heavier than a Wilderness Lite float tube for sure

I just pack a fully inflated caddis tube on my back with my waders (leeches) and flippers inside my pack with the rest of my gear. My pack fits perfect in the “U” of the tube and for being such a huge thing to have stuck to your pack its not cumbersome at all if you tie it down right, unless you are crossing a lot of deadfalls, then it becomes a major PITA. 8 miles is as far as I have hauled it this way and don’t feel the neec to change things up.
What you would gain with many of the ultralight set ups I have seen you would quickly lose with durability and more importantly comfort. Never put my caddis on a scale but it can’t weigh much and its nigh indestructable.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions.

The problem really isn't the float tube weight itself. It's more everything else that I'm carrying along with it - camping gear. Last time my wife and I hiked into a lake for a weekend trip we carried a combined weight of 100 lbs and she didn't even have a float tube. (Yeah, I also need to invest in some ultralight camping gear as well).

sveltri

WKR
Outcast Trinity full inflatable, 7lbs, I usually roll it up kinda like a bed roll and then fold it over the top of my pack and secure it on the sides with the compression straps. When I decided to sell most of lake fishing gear I kept this over the other inflatables I owned. These are 15% off right now.

Trinity Float Tube | Outcast Sporting Gear

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Outcast Trinity full inflatable, 7lbs, I usually roll it up kinda like a bed roll and then fold it over the top of my pack and secure it on the sides with the compression straps. When I decided to sell most of lake fishing gear I kept this over the other inflatables I owned. These are 15% off right now.

Think it has an advantage over the Wilderness Lite tube? Probably more comfy.

sveltri

WKR
Its very comfortable, as you can adjust the stiffness of the seat and back with air. You also sit up out of the water much higher than a traditional float tube.

FreeRange

WKR
I've fished a lot out of the Klymit LWD. For years and years I've packed a 30 pound canoe all over the Beartooths and the Sierra Nevada and couldn't bring myself to be stuck with shore fishing. The LWD is no canoe or float tube but is extremely light and you can keep yourself relatively dry and comfortable between an air mattress folded up for a floor and some rain pants to keep the inevitable splash and spray off of you. Much lighter in the end than a float tube + waders + fins.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got an alpaca scout raft for my wife and ended up using for similar activities, it only weighs about 5lbs and packs down super small.

Alpacka Raft. Expensive but very light and very durable.
Bought mine specifically for hiking to remote alpine lakes.
Good luck!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
For those of you who own the Trinity, does it get waterlogged and increase in weight for the pack out? Or are the tubes pretty water resistant?

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

Has anyone ever seen them at a better price than this?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I really like the Watermaster rafts but I don't know if I'd want to try to pack one into a high mountain lake although I'm thinking about trying it this summer. The Kodiak model is 27 lbs and the Grizzly is 23 lbs but that's just the raft weight. They are bottomless similar to a float tube and you can use them with fins and minus the oars on a lake. Quite a bit heavier than a Wilderness Lite float tube for sure
I've done some work for the people who make those rafts, got to see where they were made. Pretty cool piece of gear, but nothing i wanna pack for distance

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

i used a 2.5# alpacka when i worked in glacier, kinda tight but packed and worked just fine

Last edited: