Tire chains

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
I always carry chains from Sept. thru April along with a setup for winching almost anything out. Cheap insurance.

Jethro

WKR
I'm not mechanic either, but have heard running spacers increases wear on suspension parts. That's why I was wondering about wheels with less offset. It pushes the centerline of the tire away from vehicle. I don't personally know anyone that has used them though. That's why I was asking

Austin the only stock 1/2 ton I'm aware of that has rooms for chains up front is the Titan.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Chains, shovel, come-along, tow strap and a good axe or chainsaw. Don't forgot a good pair of gloves. Nothing worse then getting your hunting gloves soaked before the hunt trying to put chains on in some slush.

Patch

FNG
I have chains for all 4 and my rigging box in the truck from sept to march. you never know. It is also reqd in OR to "carry" them. Get the heavy duty with the cam locks. They would be hell on the road, but I only use them in the forest anyway.
My thoughts exactly. I have for all 4 tires. I just took mine out of my rig. One year I was coming down after a warm sunny day. 8" snow the evening prior. The snow was melting then froze. I had a 2 mile drive down a road with a steep drop. I slid into the upside of the mountain twice before I could get out and get my chains on. 2 guys past me while I was putting on my chains, I passed them trying to get out of the ditch just about 1/2 mile past me. Cheap insurance.
Patch

ericF

WKR
Nobody has mentioned the difference between drive over chains, and chains that you can put on without having to drive over them. I use the Rud Grip 4x4(see link) because of the ability to put the chains on wherever your at to help you get out. This gives you the diamond pattern of chain which I've heard is slightly better for side to side movement, whereas the cross chains are better for front to back traction.

It seems like chains are required about every 1 in 3 or 4 years for my Colorado hunting during first rifle season due to snow. However, depending on where you are going and if there are clay roads, they may be a necessity for early season. I hunted in the northwest of Colorado this year and the clay roads were near impassible even with chains with just a small amount of moisture. The chains helped quite a bit, but I was still all over the place with the chains on.

Rud Grip 4x4

duchntr

WKR
For the guys who have clearance issues for the front tires, you can just run cables in the front and normal chains in the back. Cables are certainly not as durable as chains but for occasional use they should be fine.

Thanks for all the info guys. Has anyone tried the peerless auto trac chains?

I have a set of similar ones from tirechains.com called diamond quick fit. They are really easy to install and do work well but durability is kind of an issue. IMO a set of those for the front or mild use and a set of vbars for the rear is perfect. They're east enough to install that I don't hesitate to use them like I do with standard chains.

bigmoose

WKR
As others have said, get chains for all four tires. Make sure you get good heavy duty chains from companies like Campbell, Weed, and Pewag. I would stay away from import chains like QuikGrips. They will most likely break before they wear out. Also, stay away from cable chains if you are going on muddy/rocky roads. Cables are made for highway travel only and they're easy to tear up.

Weed has been around for a long time and they make chains in several styles including the "V" bar type. Pewags are the big square type links and are great off road.

rayporter

WKR
ok I got to comment about the Rud Grip 4x4 and that sell point about not driving over chains

I have never driven over regular tire chains with a truck or car. I drape them over from the outside and hook them at the bottom with out moving the vehicle. I can also put them on the outside of a dually as kickers that way too.

it pays to practice and know what you can do.

How do you like the Super Z's? Our local police all use them when it ices over and I have been wanting to pick some up. Don't imagine they'd be worth a crap off road, but on the road should be a much better ride than chains, huh?

Much better ride then chains, but not as much grip off pavement. If you are in NTX or WTX you can’t go wrong with them for hwy/caliche, now if you get off a hard pack, they still work but not near as good as chains. They will get you out of the median just don’t try to dry down the median if that makes sense