Tire chains

Djacker

WKR
Hey guys

Just wondering guys thoughts on the need for tire chains during late season hunts? I've thought about getting a set for a few years. I've never been in a situation where I've needed chains, but I've never hunted later than the 1st week in October. My tire size is 275/70r17 and I have plenty of wheel well room. Any brands people would recommend or stay away from? Thanks for your input.

tttoadman

WKR
I have chains for all 4 and my rigging box in the truck from sept to march. you never know. It is also reqd in OR to "carry" them. Get the heavy duty with the cam locks. They would be hell on the road, but I only use them in the forest anyway.

ahlgringo

WKR
I have them in the truck 100% of the time hunting past Sept. I am in CO- so you never know what you are going to get. Last year- needed them to get out of campsite and on FR or I would have been stuck for a long time. Cheap insurance if you ask me. If you have the wheel clearance- get all 4. I am a fan also if you have the wheel clearance- of real chains not cables. The best advice I can give you though is to practice a few times putting them on- when you don't need em, trying to figure it out when you do is a real pita.

During hunting season I have chains for all 4 tires, a come along, heavy duty jack, a tow strap, and a chainsaw. Last year hunting 2nd - 4th season in CO I used ever single one of them. Never know what will happen.

I have chains for all four tires but divided up between two different kinds.

Super-Z HD and regular set of cam lock chains.

We get a lot of ice on concrete so the z chain works better for long drives. Chains work better on dirt

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
YES! Chains for all 4 and not necessarily why you think, ie snow/ice. Some of the clayish mud get insanely slick when it rains which can make it difficult getting up slopes on forest roads and have you sliding sideways on slight tilts in the road. You don't need the super burly sets if not regularly using them, a couple hundred bucks worth of chains (not cables) is wise insurance if leaving pavement in some places.

I believe I got mine here if I recall: Tire Chains-Snow Chain-Truck Chain-TireChains.com I have a set of the square rug and also medium twist link, figured I'd try the two styles out and if/when I wear through a type I'll revaluate but I don't need them often so just fine so far. When you get some make sure you size them at home, its not uncommon you'll want to trim off a rat tail worth of chain once you figure out the right link to hook into to fit your tires.

Last edited:
Yes I carry them and have had to use them before. Usually to get off the mountain after a week or so. I have the same sized tires as the op and got mine from Les Schwab. They’re the heavy chains with a max of 5 mph.

I did have to install some aftermarket parts on my Ram1500 to get clearance on the front tires. I believe it was a new upper link arm assy but could be wrong on that? But they fit great now. My last truck, a T100, I could only use chains on the rear tires and that pretty much sucked.

In Wa in Nov I consider them an essential safety item and am frankly stunned more folks don’t carry them.

I ordered a set for me GMC Sierra from these guys Products | Six Robblees' Inc.

Got the heavy duty square link with cam-locks and rubber tensioners shipped for $140. I only have one set because of the clearance issues with my pickup. I may have to look into some aftermarket parts or modifications to the front so I can run them on all four.

wyodan

WKR
I would always carry chains. I have always had sets for all four with me, until I bought my last pickup and they said not to put them on it. I ended up walking out of the mountains, which it isn't a short walk around here. I will now be downgrading my pickup, and having all 4 chains on the next one. Along with that, I generally have a hi lift jack and a super heavy duty come along I picked up from a bridge job.

duchntr

WKR
I keep some in my rig all the time as well. Ive been using some rud chains starting at the beginning of the winter, they seem durable enough for my occasional use and they go on and off quickly. Etrailer.com has sales on chains sometimesl.

rayporter

WKR
take them
and a shovel!!!

addendum; I don't feel the need to get the best chains. my chains are 45 years old and they don't have the v links. yes they show wear but they still do the job.

typically you put on chains to get out of trouble and then take them off. although once I went over wolf creek pass with them on. trips like that put the wear on them.

and practice putting them on, now.

I always have them in my truck... Tundra's don't have clearance in the front tho, so I only chain the backs... but I also have studded snow tires on in the winter. Always carry a shovel... the other thing I carry now are these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0784ZKX9V/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I turned around in a deep snow drift and my back end got into the soft stuff and I couldn't get it out with 4wd... had a guy with me that had these and slid them under the free spinning tires and I popped right out... big fan of these traction mats now.

muddydogs

WKR
You don't need chains until you need them, I've carried chains in my pickups for 30 years and only used them a handful of times but I don't go anywhere without the chains. What I have found works best for me is I get a good heavy duty set from the local tire store, they cost around $150 a set but there good chains. I then purchase another Walmart or like store set which usually cost less then $50. In the unlikely event that I need to hang steel on all four corners I put the good set on the front where most the ripping and tearing takes place and the lighter set on the rear, if I'm just chaining up 2 corners then I just use the heavy set.

Get the good rubber tighteners with the chains and not the spring ones, the rubber tighteners are easy to adjust and stretch around if needed. Bungee cords work well for tighteners as well.

I purchase my chains big enough that I can put them on my tires without jacking up the truck or driving the tire on them, just lay the chains over the tire, hook up the chain latches then use the tighteners to get them snug. I then turn the tires slowly a few turns via engine power then check the chains and re-tighten as needed before the ripping and tearing starts.

I guess I should say I have used chains on my personal truck a handful of times but after working in the woods for 20 years I'm probably as close to a professional steel hanger as one can get.

Always remember safety first, I've seen chain links fly off, chains come loose and tear up wheel wells, old rubber tighteners come apart flinging the metal hooks, rock and sticks get launched into space. Keep bystanders at a safe distance, pets secure and windows rolled up when really getting after it with a rig chained up.

Another item that's often overlook with the trailer pulling crowed is a set of chains for the brake axle of the trailer. Nothing worse then going down a steep slick incline and having the trailer pushing the pickup around trying to drag it off the road, a cheap set of chains on the brake axle of the trailer will keep it in check.

Jethro

WKR
BroodBuster, would love to hear more details about the changes to your Ram 1500 that allowed you to put chains on the front.

Anybody ever put wheels on with less offset to make room for chains on the fronts?

I always have them in my truck... Tundra's don't have clearance in the front tho, so I only chain the backs... but I also have studded snow tires on in the winter. Always carry a shovel... the other thing I carry now are these:
Amazon.com: BUNKERWALL Recovery Track Mat for Ice Snow Mud or Sand Ladder Emergency Traction for Vehicle Tires w/Carry Bag: Automotive
I turned around in a deep snow drift and my back end got into the soft stuff and I couldn't get it out with 4wd... had a guy with me that had these and slid them under the free spinning tires and I popped right out... big fan of these traction mats now.
you can get wheel spacers that allow the chains to work.Several options come up if you google

530Chukar

WKR
Like everyone else has said, chains for all 4. I’ve only needed them a couple of times. I keep them more for some of the mud that you might encounter in Colorado than anything else. I just bought a set of the v-bar chains that are supposed to work great for mud and ice. Hopefully I get to try hem this season. Never bother with cables. They’re garbage and not really build for off-road use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nrh6.7

WKR
I have chains for all four tires but divided up between two different kinds.

Super-Z HD and regular set of cam lock chains.

We get a lot of ice on concrete so the z chain works better for long drives. Chains work better on dirt

How do you like the Super Z's? Our local police all use them when it ices over and I have been wanting to pick some up. Don't imagine they'd be worth a crap off road, but on the road should be a much better ride than chains, huh?

you can get wheel spacers that allow the chains to work.Several options come up if you google

Thanks for the heads up... not really a huge car guy so I had no idea these existed... I assume you would want to space all 4 as opposed to just fronts?

Any you recommend?

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Is running wheel spacers an acceptable practice for fitting chains? I'm about to buy a 2018 F150 Lariat 4x4 but I'm not sure they will fit in the front. Could I throw 1" wheel spacers on for my trips west so I can hang chains if needed?