Gun Control Speech -

tems908

FNG
Very well said, I wish I could have been there to give him a standing ovation.

This man didn't say anything that we haven't heard 100 million times before, this video is probably just popular because the man making the speech doesn't look like most of us on this forum/in the NRA.

Like it or not, every child that's murdered plants another seed that will grow into an opposition to all or some parts of the gun owning community. The NRA and gun owners seem ridiculously out of touch to those who have actually been touched by gun violence in their lives. I'm not making a political statement here, nor am I suggesting any fixes. What I am saying is that gun owners have been repeating the same rhetoric for as long as I have been in the community. If we don't have some ideas/take some action to actually stop the violence, then we will all suffer.

The water is rising and we haven't reinforced the levees. When will the levee break? Who knows. But if y'all think we can just keep our heads in the sand and keep screaming "from our cold dead hands" I think you are incorrect.

I think it's time to be realistic, have conversations across the aisle, and show the country that we are all in this together.

I'll also throw out there that I truly believe that the 2nd Amendment is intended to keep the US government in check--I don't think self defense or hunting or sport shooting plays any role in the words written in that Amendment. The US Government has committed atrocities and overstepped its bounds countless times since the 2nd Amendment was written into law, and (for the most part) armed American citizens have sat on our butts and let it happen. Our focus on one issue has allowed our elected representatives to chisel away at countless other facets of our freedom and the things that make this country great. All a politician has to say is that they oppose all gun control and BOOM- they have our vote. Doesn't matter if they are way off base on every other issue or possess no morality at all--they just have to say the secret pass code and we are in. I'm as guilty of this as anyone--Well not anymore.I choose to get ahead of this issue by joining with those who are calling for change, to be a voice of reason from the gun owning/sport shooting/hunting community.

Other gun owners I've spoken to about this have accused me of treason and said things I can't repeat in polite company. I'm sure some here will feel the same way, and I'm sorry to hurt your feelings. Truthfully, most people pro gun control don't know a thing about guns. We have a role to play in educating, informing, and discussing the problem--or we can just keep everything in the dark and see how that goes--but most gun owners active in the political spectrum seem to constantly be operating from a place of fear ("they're coming to get us! Hillary clinton eats babies and she's coming for YOUR rifle!! All guns will be banned the day Barry "satan" Obama takes office!"). Let's stop acting like we are the victims, and play a responsible role in reducing gun crime and violence in this country. Does that mean changes to gun legislation? Not necessarily, we should have an official government investigation into the issue and actually follow the data to see who/what/why/where/how to move the needle on troubled citizens using firearms in an irresponsible manner.

That's my two cents on the current events, though no one asked for it. For the record I'm not opposed to gun shows, so this is more a general reaction.

Gobbler36

WKR
This man didn't say anything that we haven't heard 100 million times before, this video is probably just popular because the man making the speech doesn't look like most of us on this forum/in the NRA.

Like it or not, every child that's murdered plants another seed that will grow into an opposition to all or some parts of the gun owning community. The NRA and gun owners seem ridiculously out of touch to those who have actually been touched by gun violence in their lives. I'm not making a political statement here, nor am I suggesting any fixes. What I am saying is that gun owners have been repeating the same rhetoric for as long as I have been in the community. If we don't have some ideas/take some action to actually stop the violence, then we will all suffer.

The water is rising and we haven't reinforced the levees. When will the levee break? Who knows. But if y'all think we can just keep our heads in the sand and keep screaming "from our cold dead hands" I think you are incorrect.

I think it's time to be realistic, have conversations across the aisle, and show the country that we are all in this together.

I'll also throw out there that I truly believe that the 2nd Amendment is intended to keep the US government in check--I don't think self defense or hunting or sport shooting plays any role in the words written in that Amendment. The US Government has committed atrocities and overstepped its bounds countless times since the 2nd Amendment was written into law, and (for the most part) armed American citizens have sat on our butts and let it happen. Our focus on one issue has allowed our elected representatives to chisel away at countless other facets of our freedom and the things that make this country great. All a politician has to say is that they oppose all gun control and BOOM- they have our vote. Doesn't matter if they are way off base on every other issue or possess no morality at all--they just have to say the secret pass code and we are in. I'm as guilty of this as anyone--Well not anymore.I choose to get ahead of this issue by joining with those who are calling for change, to be a voice of reason from the gun owning/sport shooting/hunting community.

Other gun owners I've spoken to about this have accused me of treason and said things I can't repeat in polite company. I'm sure some here will feel the same way, and I'm sorry to hurt your feelings. Truthfully, most people pro gun control don't know a thing about guns. We have a role to play in educating, informing, and discussing the problem--or we can just keep everything in the dark and see how that goes--but most gun owners active in the political spectrum seem to constantly be operating from a place of fear ("they're coming to get us! Hillary clinton eats babies and she's coming for YOUR rifle!! All guns will be banned the day Barry "satan" Obama takes office!"). Let's stop acting like we are the victims, and play a responsible role in reducing gun crime and violence in this country. Does that mean changes to gun legislation? Not necessarily, we should have an official government investigation into the issue and actually follow the data to see who/what/why/where/how to move the needle on troubled citizens using firearms in an irresponsible manner.

That's my two cents on the current events, though no one asked for it. For the record I'm not opposed to gun shows, so this is more a general reaction.

So what are you actually suggesting then? I’d be curious as to what you’d like to see happen.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The NRA and gun owners seem ridiculously out of touch to those who have actually been touched by gun violence in their lives. First of all, there is no such thing as "gun violence". I have many guns, and not a single one of them has ever been "violent". There's a reason why we never hear the terms "knife violence" or "bomb violence" or "vehicle violence"......"Gun violence" is a liberal political tactic.....period.

If we don't have some ideas/take some action to actually stop the violence, then we will all suffer.

Your second statement I agree with. However, we have always had "violence" in our societies from the beginning of mankind. Yet the left's answer is always "gun control" or even better "common sense gun control". Violence has been around long before guns even existed........guns are NOT the problem.......violence is. Do you ban or control the tools used in this violence to stop the violence? That would be like banning spoons to stop obesity. That's as idiotic as banning types of guns and magazines. Maybe if we just banned "high capacity" spoons?? :rolleyes:

So, how do we stop this violence? Well, first of all…..if the left is really serious about this, then the first step is to stop Hollywood from perpetuating the glamorization of violence, and making it seem perfectly normal to society, especially all of our young people. Next, stop the video game industry from doing the same. Running down the street shooting every human you run into is not “normal” behavior, nor should it be condoned or perpetuated by the gaming industry.

Secondly, since we have people that can’t seem to function responsibly within society, we need to lock them up. There’s a reason why we used to have insane asylums. These days we just let them run amuck in society medicated, then wonder why we have a problem.

And thirdly, if you want to have a seat at the big boy table for these discussions, then you have to be playing with a full deck of cards and be able to use reason and logic to begin with. This isn't aimed at you specifically, but anyone and everyone that wants to be at that table.....including all the teenagers that seem to want to jump in, needs to understand what logic and reason are (and common sense) just to begin with. Is anyone at the table willing to legislate, make decisions, or even propose ideas that aren’t logical and reasonable? I would sure hope the answer to that is NO, but reality has shown that the left weants to continue to propose and push illogical ideas and feel-good so-called solutions that won't solve diddly squat.

Do you propose banning large capacity spoons (or any spoons at all for that matter) to try to control obesity in our society? Do you propose banning or restricting vehicle ownership to all citizens because of those in society that can’t handle them responsibly? There are way more people killed every year by irresponsible drivers than irresponsible gun owners, so if we’re sticking to those “common sense” laws and logic and reason, then by those……we start there with preventing those deaths. That would make the most logical reasonable sense, don’t you think? It doesn’t make sense to attack areas that are less of a problem “first”……does it? Of course not, but gun control fits with the left's agenda as opposed to just preventing innocent deaths.

But sticking with what the left calls “common sense gun laws” and then adding in the whole logic and reason thing to the table as well…….let’s explore it deeper, to get to that “common sense”.

Do we have a million nutjobs running around America shooting up schools and businesses? Of course not. Ok, how about 100k? Not even close. Maybe 10k? I don’t think so. How many people here can name even 100 of these types of shootings, let alone 10,000 of them? But we’ll use 10,000 for the purpose of showing how illogical the left’s ideas are. 10,000 people shooting up schools and businesses would be .0028% of our population. That would mean that 99.9972% of the population is not participating in these types of shootings……99.9972%! Why on earth would anyone (left, right, or otherwise) think that punishing and restricting the 99.9972% would be a good logical, common sense idea? If you do think that makes “logical” sense, please explain that one. In what other world or universe would it ever make any sense at all to restrict 99.9972% of a responsible population for any reason because of only .0028% of their population that is incapable of acting responsibly? Nowhere!

On top of that……..even if somehow you eliminated every single gun in the world, does the elimination of guns suddenly turn all those whackjobs into capable, fully functioning, responsible citizens? Of course not. All you did was remove a tool from the equation and didn’t even begin to fix the problem. Is that logical……and common sense? Of course not. Just eliminating every single gun in the world is a fantasy, so still outside the realm of reality and logic. Again……punishing the law-abiding citizens is not the answer…….at least for those that are capable of using common sense, logic, and reason.

So back to “how to stop these nutjobs”. Inevitably, even if we locked up the ones we know about, some aren’t considered a nutjob until they commit these acts. These acts are as random as they come. But there is one common theme with every single one of them……normal every day citizens are the first people on the scene in every single instance. Can the police stop these acts? Of course not, I’m not sure why anyone thinks that they can or will. That’s not logical thinking, they can only be in so many places at once. The government certainly isn’t going to stop them or protect you and your loved ones. So how do we stop nutjobs in their tracks whether they are intent on causing harm with guns, knives, cleavers, baseball bats, or even rocks? You stop them in their tracks immediately, when they rear their ugly heads. Or, you allow your fellow citizen that is there and prepared to do that for you. This is OUR country and our society. It’s time we take back our country and put a stop to these nutjobs. It's not the guns or weapons that the nutjobs use that are the problem, it's the nutjobs themselves that are the problem. So why does anyone think it makes any sense at all to attack, punish, or control the rest of the population with worthless ideas that won't affect the problem. Again.......guns are not the problem for 99+% of the population, nutjobs are the problem. That's an important distinction in any and all discussions aimed at attacking the problem.

We can take precautions and implement whatever new procedures and restrictions that can be come up with. But the only way to stop someone from committing one of these acts, is to take action as soon as that act starts. Taking guns out of those 99.9972% of the population’s hands or restricting their carry or use (i.e. laws, gun control, and gun free zones) doesn’t help solve the problem. It only perpetuates the problem and allows these nutjobs free reign to do whatever damage they want……just as we keep seeing.

So if you actually want solutions that will work and not just a bunch of so-called “feel good” ideas and legislation, then we can talk and have reasonable, logical discussions.

I don’t care if half the population dies from guns used in violence, including myself and my family. YOU DON’T MESS WITH THE 2[SUP]ND[/SUP] AMENDMENT……OR THE RIGHTS AFFORDED BY IT! The entire foundation of our country is at risk here. And that risk isn’t nutjobs with scary guns. That risk is the liberal left attacking American’s rights. If the foundation crumbles, so does the nation. And the left knows that.

jmden

WKR
Well said, 5MilesBack. Restricting my rights and 99%+ of us that are law abiding is NOT the answer. "Gun violence" is a whackjob mantra of the left. Virtually all their policies whether most of them realize it or not are about or lead to a controlling of the population...think about it...not freedom.

Wellsdw

WKR
Large budget deficits + overly Liberal colleges + high taxes + crappy streets but Beautiful bike greenways through crime infested neighborhoods X and all Democrat city council = Greensboro NC

(Copied from urban dictionary)
Greensboro
Third largest city in North Carolina, largest in Piedmont Triad region. It is home to Lorillard Tobacco, which makes Newport and Maverick cigarettes among others. Has really nice and really cruddy areas, and Wendover Avenue ain't no fun. Good bars and restaurants, shopping, has a water park, museums (ie Civil Rights Museum), an indoor shooting range near Market St/Friendly Ave, and an outdoor shooting range anywhere on South Elm-Eugene Street or Randelman Rd at night.

This Guy is a hero to many in the city but unfortunately in GSO he may no be the majority

Mike7

WKR
In the military, my colonel first introduced me to the concepts of desensitiation of Marines by training with human silhouettes instead of ringed targets, the idea of a force being made up of small close knit units where Marines are like a family who will be much more apt to fight for each other regardless of the overall mission, and how the CO is like a respected father figure in the hierarchy (with the XO being the disciplinarian), so that guys will take orders from the benevolent CO to go attack other humans as being inherently okay and for some higher purpose instead of being morally wrong.

That training/desensitization is all with guys around 20 years old and in a very structured system, with clear rules and values to uphold being stressed. And these young adults were historically exposed to a culture where for the most part, guys like John Wayne's characters, and not criminals were depicted as heros.

Fast forward 15 years, and I come home and my young teenage son is playing a video game where as part of the scenarios, he is part of a band of insurgents or terrorists attacking and killing Navy Seals in order to be successful in the game...and my wife has no problem with it seemingly. My son's response, "I know dad, you told me before, remember. I know it's not real, and I am just playing the game and don't consider these real Navy Seals at all."

Pair these video games with social media, Hollywood who now much more constantly glorifies criminals, and no parent households after school for young teenagers, and who knows what the results are?

elkguide

WKR
Just remember that there actually are more of us than there is of them but they are a lot louder.

So, how do we stop this violence? Well, first of all…..if the left is really serious about this, then the first step is to stop Hollywood from perpetuating the glamorization of violence, and making it seem perfectly normal to society, especially all of our young people. Next, stop the video game industry from doing the same.

So why does anyone think it makes any sense at all to attack, punish, or control the rest of the population with worthless ideas that won't affect the problem.

I don't know why anyone thinks it makes sense to attack, punish, or control the rest of the population with worthless ideas that won't affect the problem. It appears to be a popular thing though.