Tent Bear Fence

treillw

WKR
I'm thinking of getting a bear fence for setting up around my tent while camping. My wife has always been nervous sleeping in the tent with bears around and this would help to ease her nerves. To be honest, at some locations I'd probably sleep a little better too with a fence up. We always keep a clean camp and would continue to do so even with a fence set up.

I haven't heard a whole ton about them. What do you guys think of them? Do they work? Suggestions on a good one? I would like to carry it a few miles, so the lighter the better as long as it is still functional.

The 3.7 lb UDAP one looks pretty cool.
Bear Shock Electric Fence (Covers 27ft. x 27ft. sq. area) (Ultra Light 3.7 lbs.): UDAP Pepper Power

Luked

WKR
That is the same one I am looking at getting. we are heading to Yellowstone the end of Aug first of Sept and plan to do a night or two in the backcountry

Works good, involves a little set up and take down time. Have to use rocks to prop the poles up sometimes they dont hold in the ground but all in all for backpacking its works well. Grab one of the two energized strings and then ground out by the lower string and its surprising what D batterys can do.
View attachment 70112

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I have the UDAP backpacker model and it's worked well from the North Slope of Alaska down to the southern end of Kodiak. It works too, my buddy grabbed a hold of it and he pissed his pants.

That made me LOL pretty hard.

EBG LITE
I’ve been using one of these since the early 2000’s and I can tell you from experience that they absolutely work. We had some bear problems down on Kodiak, back in ‘06, where two bears completely tore our camp apart but didn’t get into our tent that had this fence around it. We ended up killing both bears the next night when they came back. Mine weighs 38 oz., packed in the heavy duty cordura bag, including an extra set of batteries. I have also used the backpacker model that UDAP sells and the shock that the Electro Bear Guard delivers is MUCH more impressive than the UDAP fence. They’re a little more expensive but well worth it IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
I have a brand new udap lightweight model posted in the classifieds if you are interested.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
EBG LITE
I’ve been using one of these since the early 2000’s and I can tell you from experience that they absolutely work. We had some bear problems down on Kodiak, back in ‘06, where two bears completely tore our camp apart but didn’t get into our tent that had this fence around it. We ended up killing both bears the next night when they came back. Mine weighs 38 oz., packed in the heavy duty cordura bag, including an extra set of batteries. I have also used the backpacker model that UDAP sells and the shock that the Electro Bear Guard delivers is MUCH more impressive than the UDAP fence. They’re a little more expensive but well worth it IMO.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been searching around online to try to find out more information about it, but can't really find anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

GotDraw?

WKR
I built my own. It might have cost $150 or so and the parts are all readily available online.

I used a 4-D cell, very strong charger and used carbon fiber arrow shafts as poles. Carbon fiber absolutely conducts electricity, so you must use insulated standoffs to hold the wires away from the shafts/posts. I ended supplementing them by using zip tie loops to stand the wires about 1 inch off the posts. Worked GREAT.

Search Rokslide a bit, I believe there may be a posting I did that lists all the components and where to source them.
If not, send me PM and I will see if I can send you a list and the instructions.

Best,

JL

I have the ADAP Ultra Lightweight model but have yet to use it. Got it for family so they could feel confident they wouldn't become bear poop if/when I'm ever able to get to go camping. They always have their noses in their phones...makes me crazy. Figure it'll come in handy when I raft the Brooks Range.

Beendare

WKR
There is another long thread on this fence thing...in the DIY section I think.

I too built my own as I wanted a stronger charger.

FYI,
1) crucial piece of kit is the little fence tester. [a couple ounces]

2) Getting a good ground is critical to getting good voltage to your tape or wire. I ended up using 1/2"x 24" Copper pipe. When using a tent stake the tester told me I was only getting partial voltage to my fence....you would never know without it.

My fence on a Kodiak trip
Camp on kodiak1re.jpg

I have the ADAP Ultra Lightweight model but have yet to use it. Got it for family so they could feel confident they wouldn't become bear poop if/when I'm ever able to get to go camping. They always have their noses in their phones...makes me crazy. Figure it'll come in handy when I raft the Brooks Range.

You're going to raft the Brooks Range!? Damn man, sounds like one hell of an adventure!

EBG LITE

Interesting about the charge being more significant than the UDAP model. The one in your link runs off two AA batteries, the UDAP off of D's. The UDAP will run for weeks on the D's, but the EBG just three days. I suppose you can bring more AA's, as they are small and light.

How do AA's produce a bigger jolt than the D's?

Are there any other differences?

There is another long thread on this fence thing...in the DIY section I think.

I too built my own as I wanted a stronger charger.

FYI,
1) crucial piece of kit is the little fence tester. [a couple ounces]

2) Getting a good ground is critical to getting good voltage to your tape or wire. I ended up using 1/2"x 24" Copper pipe. When using a tent stake the tester told me I was only getting partial voltage to my fence....you would never know without it.

My fence on a Kodiak trip
View attachment 70137

Do you have a link for the tester you use? Might be a good idea to have along instead of touching the damn fence every few days :)

Trial153

WKR
My buddy is in the process of building one for our hunt. Pretty sure he got the specs from a thread either on here or bowsite. he is saying it will push out about twice as much juice and weight finished about 1/3 less then the commercial units we were looking at.

Beendare

WKR
Do you have a link for the tester you use? Might be a good idea to have along instead of touching the damn fence every few days :)

An essential piece of kit for sure....otherwise you don't know how well your ground is working.

Mine is similar to this one....though a different mnfr and mine has a wire lead.
5-Light Wireless Fence Tester - Premier1Supplies
I wanna say I bought my components at a place called 'electric fence supply'...but a quick search didn't turn them up.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting about the charge being more significant than the UDAP model. The one in your link runs off two AA batteries, the UDAP off of D's. The UDAP will run for weeks on the D's, but the EBG just three days. I suppose you can bring more AA's, as they are small and light.

How do AA's produce a bigger jolt than the D's?

Are there any other differences?

I imagine they are running a different transformer.