Tent Bear Fence

Interesting about the charge being more significant than the UDAP model. The one in your link runs off two AA batteries, the UDAP off of D's. The UDAP will run for weeks on the D's, but the EBG just three days. I suppose you can bring more AA's, as they are small and light.

How do AA's produce a bigger jolt than the D's?

Are there any other differences?
Yeah, I don't know why that is Nick, but I've touched several different models of the fences that UDAP makes (I actually held on to one with little to no discomfort), and have touched two different EBG fences (both that used the little box that holds two AA batteries), and there really is no comparison. It may be a mute point because I've heard that in many cases, bears can sense a charge coming off the wire, and they will stay away, but I've also seen numerous Youtube videos where the bears either touch the wire with their nose or paw/leg and take off when they get zapped. Anyway, I think that the more obnoxious of a zap the better, and that little EBG power box really packs a punch.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Yeah, I don't know why that is Nick, but I've touched several different models of the fences that UDAP makes (I actually held on to one with little to no discomfort), and have touched two different EBG fences (both that used the little box that holds two AA batteries), and there really is no comparison. It may be a mute point because I've heard that in many cases, bears can sense a charge coming off the wire, and they will stay away, but I've also seen numerous Youtube videos where the bears either touch the wire with their nose or paw/leg and take off when they get zapped. Anyway, I think that the more obnoxious of a zap the better, and that little EBG power box really packs a punch.

I'm no electrical engineer, but would intuitively think that the Ds would pack a bigger punch. Could it possibly be a grounding issue with the UDAP fences? Maybe their ground setup isn't the best?? I do have a few electrical engineers sitting behind me that I think I'm going to have a chat with. I will let you all know if I learn anything worthwhile.

I just did a little more digging and the UDAP puts out about 5,500 volts and/or 0.03 J, while the EBG delivers 9,500 volts and/or 0.15 J. I also spoke with the folks that run Eagle Enterprises (seller of Electro Bear Guard fences), and was told that the makers of that unit has just come out with a significantly more powerful box that is the same physical size/wt. as the old one.

Would the EBG boxes be compatible with the UDAP system I currently have? Certainly should work I'd think, just swap out the boxes?

Counter assault also has one but it weighs much more. UDAP has a bit of different types you can buy, personally I like the mesh better but if you are using it for back packing, then it almost triples the weight of it and wouldn't be worth it. Love hunting in bear country because it deters so many people.

double a batts supply the same volts as d batts -the d batts just last longer.

Makes sense... 72 hours for the AA's and 15 weeks for the D's... Guess it would require some checking every few days.

I emailed EBG to see if they will sell the box separate, might be worth it to up the voltage. Maybe it would make my buddy fill his drawers in the event he wants to touch this one.

Makes sense... 72 hours for the AA's and 15 weeks for the D's... Guess it would require some checking every few days.

I emailed EBG to see if they will sell the box separate, might be worth it to up the voltage.

Nice to imagine a portable power bank doing a recharge on the AA cells. Even better would be a charger running on 18650 cells x 2. Oww!

Please post us on EBG's reply. I'm interested.

I emailed EBG to see if they will sell the box separate, might be worth it to up the voltage. Maybe it would make my buddy fill his drawers in the event he wants to touch this one.

Exactly how would you go about "testing" it?

I don't know about light weight, but there are lots of solar powered battery options for other things like bee hives, etc. that charge a battery bank.

Stuff like this:
https://shop.keddies.com/solar-fence-energizer-s22/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwh7zWBRCiARIsAId9b4pIKSV7-sppiz96T7G72EK9Up7a_kTl8xUPKixMv8-Kr2onuZPo6w4aAu7YEALw_wcB

That's great until a prolonged storm moves in, the skies darken and unit is rendered useless. I'd carry back-up batteries in Grizzlyland. Nobody wants to become a Treadwell snack.

I always carry at least one extra set of batteries and I have used them, but I’ve never went through 2 sets on one hunt. An extra pair of AA batteries (or even two for that matter), doesn’t weigh much. Aside from when I’m sleeping, when I’m in camp, the fence is always off. A lot of times if I’m spiking, the fence is on my back, along with everything else, during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to imagine a portable power bank doing a recharge on the AA cells. Even better would be a charger running on 18650 cells x 2. Oww!

Please post us on EBG's reply. I'm interested.

Teresa from EBG emailed me back, the unit can be bought separately for $239.00.

Teresa from EBG emailed me back, the unit can be bought separately for $239.00.

Hey Nick, did you happen to ask her about the new unit that that co. Is making, and when EE will be getting them? Might be worth waiting for, either to buy one of the upgraded models, or maybe get a (marked down), current model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did ask her and she said they are still waiting to hear back from Sureguard when their new energizer will be available.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I did ask her and she said they are still waiting to hear back from Sureguard when their new energizer will be available.

Just called and they said that they have no clue when they will get the new unit. I tried calling sureguard and was like...this phone number doesn't have the correct number of digits (Australian). Think I'll try email instead.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
How would you guys feel about a solar powered energizer? I could see it having some advantages, but it also would suck if it didn't work in thick trees or if it was snowing on the solar panel.