Can you change your username??

efnm

WKR
I came here to figure out why a thread on changing usernames had blown up. It turns out it was a lot about God and a little about beer. I can live with that.

OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
I came here to figure out why a thread on changing usernames had blown up. It turns out it was a lot about God and a little about beer. I can live with that.

Someone say beer!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
Here are the two big questions everyone needs to ask. If you honestly look at the world and see no need for a creator then I guess questions two does not apply but I encouraged you to explore both questions.

1. Is there a God?
When I look at the Earth and the Universe I am 100% convinced that there is some supernatural force that created it. In my scientifically educated mind I find it absurd to think that everything happened by chance mutations. All the beauty and all the perfect balance to sustain life could not have happened by mutations. So I am left with the conclusion that a "God" must exist. So what or who is God?

2. Is the Bible true?
I challenge any atheist to take an honest look at the validity of the Bible and see if you can still put it on par with Santa, the Easter Bunny and Fairy tales. The bible is 66 books written over 1500 yrs by 30+ authors yet there are no contradictions. There are thousands of early manuscripts, more than any other historical document. You simply cannot deny its historical accuracy even from a secular standing. So the history of the bible is true. Jesus lived and was killed - FACT.

The parts of the bible about spiritual information are where you have to have faith to believe. Jesus was a man that lived and died and that is historical fact BUT was he who he said he was? This is where the fun part comes in. This is where you need to study and explore and see the arguments and the historical facts that support Jesus' claims. There are many discussion that can be had around these points.

For me I believe the Bible is God's word. It's his way of telling us what we need to know about him. It may have been written by men but those men were inspired (controlled if you want to say it) by God to write down what he wanted to share with all of mankind.

I do not believe any mans theories or opinions about who God is I believe what God has said about himself. I wouldn't trust man's opinions on who God is. I trust God's words to us.

Thanks to all who are willing to share. These kinds of respectful and challenging discussions should and need to happen.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When my friends and I get in to discussions, It seems that these friend are just afraid of death and this belief of something grander is what they need to face it when it comes.

Actually, the opposite is true. If one is truly saved, they have no need for fear of death....as this current life is the only Hell we will ever experience. As the Apostle Paul said "to die is gain". He knew that he'd be going to a better place upon death, but he also knew that his work wasn't done here on earth. Every born-again Christian should have that perspective. The more I live in this world, the more I look forward to the end.....be it death or the rapture. But I know my work isn't done here........until it is.:D

elkduds

WKR
Really valuing the posts here that state, "here is how I roll, for xyz reasons."

Noting the irony of the posts that state, "this is what you (or we) should be doing."

Judge not...

It is the nature of faith to be intangible, to defy reasoning and transcend divisions. The capacity for faith is a pinnacle of human experience. You know faith when you have it. I have found faith readily in nature and compassion. If yours was gained through a book or a church, I am glad for you. To live without faith was hollow for me. To challenge the basis of others' faith in favor of one's own basis, seems antithetical to feeling faith.

I hope faith finds each of us.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
Really valuing the posts here that state, "here is how I roll, for xyz reasons."

Noting the irony of the posts that state, "this is what you (or we) should be doing."

Judge not...

It is the nature of faith to be intangible, to defy reasoning and transcend divisions. The capacity for faith is a pinnacle of human experience. You know faith when you have it. I have found faith readily in nature and compassion. If yours was gained through a book or a church, I am glad for you. To live without faith was hollow for me. To challenge the basis of others' faith in favor of one's own basis, seems antithetical to feeling faith.

I hope faith finds each of us.

I think what we are looking for is "What is truth?" I don't want to place my faith completely in something that is changing, that can be broken. And when it comes to an important question like "What happens when I die?" I want the truth. To place faith in compassion doesn't address the issue of death, ultimately.
Now I get what you mean by people stating "this is what you should be doing." But if that answer is true, than I want to hear it. If they say "this is truth" I want to examine that because it is of utmost importance.

And when Jesus says "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father, but by me" I believe it.
I would say we must challenge each other's faith, to examine whether that faith is true or not. I don't want to live a life where I have faith in something or someone, just because it feels good to me, I want my faith to be in the right place.

dukhunt

FNG
And I would argue that anyone who can hike the Rockies, see an infinitely complex and functional natural system, and not believe that somewhere, somehow, some being had a hand in this, also has a great imagination.

No disrespect intended at all, but my time in nature only makes it easier to believe.

Well I can argue that god is not real after having lived in Illinois. That place is what I would imagine hell to be like. Also things like childhood cancer, ISIS, and the complete lack of physical proof just to name a few. I’m just pleasantly surprised that this many people would chime in on such a sensitive subject that is not publicly acceptable to talk about and the fact that this conversation has stayed level headed and not turned into a shouting match.

elkyinzer

WKR
Jesus was known to be a big time Kuiu fanboy!

There I took care of the civility...see yinz in hell! Should be a good party anyway!

Turtles all the way down

Trial153

WKR
I find it very hard to believe in god. I wont even comment on my thoughts of the bible as being accurate in any meaningful sense. I consider that organized religion the most sucessful scam man has ever thought up.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
The human animal does better with something to believe in and the belief of a higher power. Gives you some sense that there has to be more to life than just survival. Also, believing your rights come from a human destines you to enslavement by other men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
I am glad to see such a conversation taking such a calm path where people can talk and listen rather than just get irritated. Personally, I am a believer. Be happy to explain my thoughts, just ask. I know what I am, I know what God and Christ sacrificed in order to repair the imperfect relationship my sin creates (as in continual). Can a person be covered by the blood and still be a crappy person to others, yes. It's called sin, now, I will also say that said person should be striving to be more Christ like everyday. My hope is in Christ and nothing of this earth. By hope, I mean complete faith. I screw up everything I try to do on my own. Every thing I leave in God's hands always turns out better than I could ever imagine. I've only brushed the surface on my all encompassing thoughts of this thread. God bless all. This is a positive thread.

Well I can argue that god is not real after having lived in Illinois. That place is what I would imagine hell to be like. Also things like childhood cancer, ISIS, and the complete lack of physical proof just to name a few. I’m just pleasantly surprised that this many people would chime in on such a sensitive subject that is not publicly acceptable to talk about and the fact that this conversation has stayed level headed and not turned into a shouting match.

See we who are believers need to listen to statements like this from dukhunt....
In his statement, which I can appreciate and thank him for expressing his observations, as I value those. It really expresses the truth in this application, maybe not so much that there is no God, but that there is no, or at best, little of God's "Presence" there in Chicago. I say this because he likened it to "hell", which by the way, has no Presence of God there either.

God will not take residence where He is not wanted. As a result, a world filled the evolution of moral degeneration, will automatically evolve into what he described. This, to me, explains why so many cant believe, see, or feel Him.

If I didn't love my wife and don't want her around, she would leave, and I wouldn't see her, feel her or know she was even alive any more.

When an atheist says Christians use religion for a crutch, I get why they say that. Many do. These atheists aren't making this stuff up.

I believe earlier in this thread 5MB said "being saved doesn't make me fear dying, just the opposite, it causes me to live".
That's one of the best response I read.

How can I deny an atheist his/her right to not believe?

To do that would eliminate God for sure
God gave us rights and free will

When an atheist expresses their opinion, I often listen and find what they are saying has a lot of truth behind it.
From there my job is to recognize that and live my life to make sure I don't create more atheists who see things they use to reinforce their beliefs.

I think the funniest post in here was someone who said, "let us know your new name so we can avoid over priced gear in the classifieds" I laughed out loud, cause me being a Pastor, Recognized his username, and only saw it pop up in the classifieds where I always thought, "dang dude, that's a high price."