Big Green Egg/Kamado Joe/Traeger

kipper09

WKR
The traeger topic got me thinking about a grill or something going into spring. I hear some great reviews on the egg type grill. How do you all feel about the ceramic vs pellet grill. Thought I would get some of your all’s opinions. Im pretty open to either one just looking for something to grill steaks and chicken for the family. Maybe do some other stuff. Let me know what you think
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I have a Kamado Joe Big Joe, and love it. The Kamado can be run up to super hot pizza oven temps, or you can crank it down low and slow for really long cooks, so it is a little more flexible than something like a Traeger. Love the combination of direct / indirect heat within the grill with the ceramic heat deflectors. You can even get into temperature controllers for the Kamado if you want to, and there are all sorts of accessories.

But honest answer, we grill a lot. Probably 4-5 times a week. If we're just doing chops, steaks, chicken breasts, we usually just use the gas grill: Ducane/Weber. Much less effort than the Kamado to walk in after work, push a button and have it ready to go 10 minutes later. But damn it turns out good on the Kamado when you take the time.

0b44c87cd50beaf542945367e3d7b709.jpg
4f9f657d5999736f4d45f000c865b521.jpg
b2b8523add8975ff79ed8e700e636b39.jpg

KJH

WKR
I've owned 2 pellet grills, and think I'd prefer a big green egg but can't get myself to spend that much.

Jmock97

Lil-Rokslider
I have a big green egg. Pros lifetime warranty, doesn’t need electricity to operate. No parts to wear out. Works great in cold temperatures. Cooks from low temps 225 to high temps above 800 degrees.

bradb

WKR
When I was looking I talked to a guy at a store that sold both, he was out side cooking on the tragger that day. I asked you sell both which do you like the best, I got a very quick answer the egg. He said the egg is just for versatile, said they are both good and he uses both but if he could own one it would be the egg.
I bought a egg and real like it. Smoked venision whole hind quarter, cooked like prime rib, could fool you as to if its prime

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Large BGE owner here. I'll probably never run a pellet. It just seems wrong to me. I love lump charcoal and the flavor it imparts. I can have it up to temp in 15min with a chimney starter and that's fine with me. I can fill the firebox and run it low and slow for upwards of 24hr if I want, or open her up to easily over 1000* . Pizzas are fantastic. Meat is fantastic. I run an Adjustable Rig and can pack an insane amount of food in there with that. I simply dont see me trying anything else.

That said, I've never run a Traeger, so I can't dog on them too much. I suppose those of you who can't grill have to be able to run something.

PNWGATOR

WKR
My brother went through this decision process and chose a Komodo. He is 100% satisfied and turns out amazing everything on it. He’d choose nothing different.

We have a traeger at work and have had struggles with it throughout it’s life. Adjusted the p setting and that has helped, but it still requires supervision and is not a set it and forget it unit. When it works, its wonderful. It’s a made in China model and the smallest one they make. Based on my experience with this model I personally would not buy a traeger. I’d own a pellet grill, but not one of theirs.

idahojohn

FNG
Have the large BGE. Love it. Have not used our propane unit since BGE purchase 4 years ago. Got rid of Traeger...to many issues

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Lot of great input here. Seems pretty lopsided in favor of the egg. I been looking at the green egg and kamado joe and side by side I can’t see a lot of difference. As far as accessories and stuff do you all have any preference one over the other? And is the larger size worth getting?? Feel like the xl would be overkill for my needs but could see it being handy if people were over for a get together or doing a large rack of ribs or something like a brisket. What do you suggest??

I'm going this route soon and it will be the BGE do to a larger dealer network. I've just never heard a bad thing about.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Lot of great input here. Seems pretty lopsided in favor of the egg. I been looking at the green egg and kamado joe and side by side I can’t see a lot of difference. As far as accessories and stuff do you all have any preference one over the other? And is the larger size worth getting?? Feel like the xl would be overkill for my needs but could see it being handy if people were over for a get together or doing a large rack of ribs or something like a brisket. What do you suggest??

I went with the Egg because of the following. There are countless accessories out there for it. I splurged when I got it and picked up a 3-tiered Adjustable Rig, spider, wok, and a few pizza stones. Throw in a chimney starter, a remote thermometer, ThermaPen, and some utensils and you should be set.

The only other thing I've thought about getting is a Stoker controller. Someday I'll add one of those and it'll be perfect.

3forks

WKR
Large BGE for us, too.

My family has had an extensive history with kamado style cookers. When I was a kid in the 70s, my grandad had a clay kamado cooker on his ranch in Gunnison, CO. I don't remember how that cooker ended up in Gunnison, but accumulation was my grandad's game and he had a ton of odd stuff. Anyway, that cooker made some great burgers and Grandad said it was the best grill he ever had.

Fast forward a few years later, and the next time I saw one of those grills was while visiting a relative in Georgia. Turns out the guy who started bring BGEs to the states was based up in Atlanta and opened a store to specifically sell those grills. After eating some BBQ that came off the BGE my relative had, my dad and mon were convinced they needed one and had a BGE shipped to our house in Colorado.

Everybody that tried the food we made off the BGE loved it, and my Dad even spoke the guy who was distributing those BGEs about getting a bunch sent to Colorado to sell. To make this long story shorter, dad never ended up getting the eggs because he thought they were too expensive and labor intensive as opposed to propane grills. It didn't take too long though before those BGEs started gaining popularity and dad said he regretted not getting a distrbutorship.

Anyway, if you're still reading this - BGEs are awesome and the food that comes off them tastes great and they're a lot of fun if you're into outdoor cooking.

bradb

WKR
I am single no kids and dont' throw any real parties, still bought the xl. I just couldn't make myself buy a grill smaller then my weber. other then price I really don't see a downside to going bigger. I did not go place setter, instead going with the adjustable rig and a pizza stone for indeirect from the Ceramic grill store.......and of course a FEW other things!

Brendan

WKR
When I bought mine - I chose Kamado Joe because the accessories were better and it was a little better value at the time. I'm sure that's changed though. No real differences in the kamado itself.

netman

WKR
Large BGE man myself. I’ve had mine for over 11 years and use it three to five times a week. Can’t imagine not having one after owning this one.

Bulldog2nine

Lil-Rokslider
I have the poor mans BGE, the chargriller acorn. For $250, it has done everything I have asked of it. I will eventually get a ceramic but at this point, the steel acorn performs great.

ShakeDown

WKR
KJ here, no experience with the Traeger but I can tell you why I went with the Joe rather than the Egg.

BGE sells separate, including nest and other accessories.

I purchased my KJ for almost the price of the stand alone BGE and it came with the nest, ash tool, grill gripper, and the “divide and conquer”.

The divide and conquer is a really unique accessory that allows you to split the direct/indirect so you don’t have to rearrange mid cook, and/or can cook multiple items at the same time. The Joe also has a removable ash tray, which is a nice feature for clean up.

So basically, same ceramic cooker and you are getting a lot more for your money.

My father-in-law has a BGE and I’ve cooked on it many times. Very similar if not identical end results, but his was a lot more expensive to set up.

My ideal situation would be a Big Joe (XL) and a Joe Jr. I currently have the standard Classic Joe. The Big Joe for large/long cooks and the little guy if I just want to fire it up quick for a steak or two.

ShakeDown

WKR
Cooked up some pork tenderloin tonight, set up half direct and half indirect. Cooked direct for a bit, flipping often to get a little char, then swap over to indirect till they got to 135 internal. Delicious.

ed85d97bb578dbe8c3d1868821030ecb.jpg

e89c03f14ba03d84006545b4883f7e3d.jpg

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Been reading about BGE and KJ and from what I can see your reasons are spot on. KJ comes with a lot more standard. . Lid is a little different and the divide and conquer is pretty neat. I also think your statement on the big joe or XL egg and the smaller personal size for quick evening steaks or chicken is spot on. I can see the money building as we go haha.

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
I use a traeger and actually really like it. It replaced a gas grill and is perfect for what I mostly do. Family of 6 with 4 little kids and I dont do a ton of long cook items and I like being able to turn it on and in 10 min or less its ready to go. I've smoked a few things and while its not perfect, it does a good job and I've never had anything not turn out good. Downside is that it really cant get above 450 so if do lots of steaks or want to be able to sear something really hot, it's not going to work very well. For me it was a great replacement for a gas grill for the tons of burgers, dogs, brats, pork steaks, wings, tenderloins, turkey breasts and the occasional pork butt and ribs that I do. Ive also baked in it and done things like scotch eggs and smoked brie and they were awesome.