Big Green Egg/Kamado Joe/Traeger

Vandal 44

WKR
I have both a Traeger and a XL Big Green Egg. When I am cooking chicken or fish and feeling lazy I will use the Traeger. When I am cooking steaks, Prime Rib or any red meat I will use the BGE. If had to do it all over again I would have purchased the BGE not the XL, the XL BGE is really big for just me and my wife. When we have the entire family come over and I am grilling for everyone then the XL BGE is awesome.If I was going to purchase one grill it would be the BGE or the KJ you can go wrong with either, purchase the one that you feel is the best value

Own a Traeger and Green Mountain Grill. Absolutely love them. I have noticed that a lot of people have issues with pellet grills and I would bet a majority of those cases are operator error. Some good housekeeping goes a long ways with the pellet grills. A lot of users don't keep the firepots clean or try and run at to low of temps and get flameouts. Have heard some struggle with getting high temps but I personally haven't had that issue with either pellet grill. Both reach 500+ degrees. Being able to turn it on and set a digital temp makes regulating temp quick and easy. Sold my propane grill and can't remember the last time I turned my oven on. I don't think you can go wrong with the pellet grill or BGE.

wildcat33

WKR
Ive got the Acorn, which is the walmart version of the BGE. So far I love it. For anyone interested in this kind of cooking its a good way to get in the game. If you dont like it, youre not out a G for the ceramic. If you do like it and wear it out, you can step up to the legit kamodo grills later. It really doesnt take that long to get going either, maybe 30-45 minutes to get to grilling temp but the smell of of lump charcoal burning and the taste of the final product is so much better than gas, Ill never go back.

woodson

FNG
Long time lurker, first post and all..

I bought a Chargriller Acorn and then a BGE (Large). Love them both, but I use the Acorn for tailgates and hunting camp since it is less likely to break if dropped out of the truck. My wife was initially skeptical of lump charcoal, but now won't cook meat any other way and can have a good pyramid of coals going in 10 minutes using the Weber cubes for lighting.

Buy a ceramic insert for smoking so you can have indirect heat. Also, homemade pizzas are amazing and make for a good couples date night or family time in the backyard. You can also smoke whole chicken wings in about an hour that are incredible.

Buy one, you won't regret it.

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Man, am I the only one that just uses a Weber kettle grill? I love it. Used them for years. I feel like I can do anything on it. I've done pizzas, naan, low and slow pulled meats (charcoal ring, dump hot coals on one section and let it burn around...), indirect fish, etc etc.

Gutshotem

WKR
After doing my own research last year I decided on the KJ over the BGE but my wife went out and bought me an Egg as a fathers day gift and I'm happy with it. She initially bought me the large but I swapped it that morning for an XL because I didn't think I could fit full racks of ribs on the large. Shakedown covered the differences pretty well but I'd also add that the KJ had a better hinge and gasket system as well.
If you're going to go with a pellet grill I'd also look at something other than a traeger. They don't seem to be made as well as they were in the past. Maybe they weren't always made in China, I dunno. My BGE dealer carries Yoder pellet grills, which are def more spendy, but the quality is way above what traeger is putting out.

honkerdwn

FNG
I use the Big Easy made by Charbroil. Havent seen it mentioned here yet. I ordered it through amazon on some advice from a coworker and its been unbelievable. Smokes, grills, does it all. Cooks using indirect heat. Has a smoker box on the side that you just and the flavored chips of your choice. Ill never eat turkey from the oven again! I don't have any pictures but we have done turkey, ribs, brisket, burnt ends, jalapeno poppers pretty much everything. I was in the market for a smoker at the time and the price on the Big Easy was a fraction of some of the big smokers so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. Makes the mouth water just thinking about it! Enjoy!

IdahoElk

WKR
Own a Traeger and Green Mountain Grill. Absolutely love them. I have noticed that a lot of people have issues with pellet grills and I would bet a majority of those cases are operator error. Some good housekeeping goes a long ways with the pellet grills. A lot of users don't keep the firepots clean or try and run at to low of temps and get flameouts. Have heard some struggle with getting high temps but I personally haven't had that issue with either pellet grill. Both reach 500+ degrees. Being able to turn it on and set a digital temp makes regulating temp quick and easy. Sold my propane grill and can't remember the last time I turned my oven on. I don't think you can go wrong with the pellet grill or BGE.

How do you get a Traeger to +500º?

Wapiti1

WKR
I went Primo Oval XL when I got mine 13 years ago. BGE didn't make the 24" one yet, and the 18" wasn't big enough. Best investment that I have ever made in cooking, other than an induction stovetop.

After the first couple of years, we pitched the gas grill and only use the Primo. Cook on it once a week through the winter. Summer that goes up to 2-3 times a week. I can light it and have it ready for most foods in the 30 minutes or so it takes me to get the food prepared and ready to cook. Love doing a long cook on the weekend, or an overnight brisket.

The gas grill didn't save me any time.

Jeremy

I bought the large BGE about 5 years ago and absolutely love it. Nothing better than enjoying a cold one (or two) sitting next to the BGE as the apple wood smoke and sizzling meat bathes you a cloud of pure ecstasy. I'm getting hungry just typing this!

I love the versatility of being able to smoke low and slow (pork butts or hard boiled eggs.....if you've never had a smoked hard boiled egg, you've got to try it, they're fantastic) as well as being able to cook at high temps and do homemade pizzas. Three years ago we started smoking our Thanksgiving turkey on the BGE and my entire family and in-laws have said it's the best turkey they've ever eaten. The only downside is we now have a house full of people every year for Thanksgiving!

Gr8bawana

WKR
Man, am I the only one that just uses a Weber kettle grill? I love it. Used them for years. I feel like I can do anything on it. I've done pizzas, naan, low and slow pulled meats (charcoal ring, dump hot coals on one section and let it burn around...), indirect fish, etc etc.

I also use a Weber and they just plain work. Grilling, smoking, baking, they just can't be beat. I suspect you don't hear about guys using them because they are not the latest and greatest overpriced thing out there like Komodo and KUIU camo.

Brendan

WKR
I also use a Weber and they just plain work. Grilling, smoking, baking, they just can't be beat. I suspect you don't hear about guys using them because they are not the latest and greatest overpriced thing out there like Komodo and KUIU camo.

Except for the fact that Kamados have been around for centuries - a lot longer than Weber (The 1950's)....

We had a Weber kettle grill for years. Very similar design actually, except the weber doesn't have any of the insulating properties and isn't nearly as durable or long lasting.

PredatorX

WKR
I think his point though is that you don't need a high end grill to cook/smoke good food. Just as you dont "need" a compound bow with high end accessories to take game, but in some situations it does make it easier. You can make anything on a weber that you can make on a komodo/traeger/etc, it just takes more skill/time/different process.

You pay dollars to shortcut the learning curve or you pay time to learn the skill needed.

Whisky

WKR
Lot of great input here. Seems pretty lopsided in favor of the egg. I been looking at the green egg and kamado joe and side by side I can’t see a lot of difference. As far as accessories and stuff do you all have any preference one over the other? And is the larger size worth getting?? Feel like the xl would be overkill for my needs but could see it being handy if people were over for a get together or doing a large rack of ribs or something like a brisket. What do you suggest??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely go with the XL, be it BGE or KJ. You will use a little more lump with the bigger size, but you can manage it so it isn't that much more then a L size. I had a L BGE and sold it for an XL. Then I got a Yoder YS640 pellet grill because there were times when the XL BGE was too small.

As far as BGE vs KJ, I really wanted to try the new KJ but for me it came down to dealer location. The closest KJ dealer was 2 hours away. I was able to have my BGE delivered to my deck. That was my deciding factor. Also, there are many more aftermarket accessories for the BGE. Look over at ceramicgrillstore.com for some ideas. When I bought the XL I opted not to get their platesetter system or vent cap and purchased my own through the Ceramic Grill Store.

Kamado vs pellet is an endless debate. I have both and use both. I would say my Egg gets used a lot more though. Can't beat their versatility.

Brendan

WKR
I think his point though is that you don't need a high end grill to cook/smoke good food. Just as you dont "need" a compound bow with high end accessories to take game, but in some situations it does make it easier. You can make anything on a weber that you can make on a komodo/traeger/etc, it just takes more skill/time/different process.

You pay dollars to shortcut the learning curve or you pay time to learn the skill needed.

Pretty much agree with you, but I think it's not as much about learning curve or skill as much as it's just harder with a Weber. Mainly due to airflow, insulation, and ease of maintaining a steady temp over the duration of a cook.

Also, haven't seen a Weber or Traeger that can get up to 750 degrees (or more) and retain that heat in cold weather like you can in a "Kamado" if you want your low temp smoker to double as a high temp pizza oven.

Not knocking either, we used a Weber kettle for years, just a different type of grill...

Whisky

WKR

Point taken, and you're right they make just as good as food as anything else. I have a 26.5" Weber kettle I keep at work for cookouts, or if I need to haul a cooker to the lake for a weekend. They definitely beat the Kamados in the portability department. But that's about the only thing they are better at. And the prices of each reflect that.

PredatorX

WKR
I'm getting me one of those blackstone griddles. I feel like that is my missing piece.

Grumman

WKR
Pretty much agree with you, but I think it's not as much about learning curve or skill as much as it's just harder with a Weber. Mainly due to airflow, insulation, and ease of maintaining a steady temp over the duration of a cook.

Also, haven't seen a Weber or Traeger that can get up to 750 degrees (or more) and retain that heat in cold weather like you can in a "Kamado" if you want your low temp smoker to double as a high temp pizza oven.

Not knocking either, we used a Weber kettle for years, just a different type of grill...

I agree with this in regards to the kettle. If you are just smoking the Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker smoker is extremely hard to beat though. I’ve got a $4k competition smoker but more often than not use the WSM smoker due to its convenience and great results. It’s sole purpose is smoking though unlike the BGE which is more versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whisky

WKR
I'm getting me one of those blackstone griddles. I feel like that is my missing piece.

They are the cats ass. Work great in the garage, on the front of a Snobear, and everywhere else in between. Best burgers I cook come off the griddle.

5655.jpg

5652.jpg

20180309_110229.jpg

20180304_093445.jpg