Big Green Egg/Kamado Joe/Traeger

Agross

WKR
I'm getting me one of those blackstone griddles. I feel like that is my missing piece.

My buddy just got one of these, and up until now I didn't know I needed one. We made steak and chicken fajitas on it with plenty of room for everything. Also,worked great for breakfast. You can fit so much food on it. I gotta get one, right after I get my pellet grill.

I suppose my post doesn't add a lot to this discussion...

I wanted an Egg many years ago but the price turned me off. No way it would turn out food good enough to warrant the cost...right? A couple years went by and I accidentally hit a deal to buy a new Kamado Joe. I compared it to the Egg and didn't need long to see I was getting a great cooker at a much better price. I bought it immediately. Hallelujah!....I got saved!...My life of gas-grilling ended right there, lol.

We have a Regular Joe for the 2 of us, but it easily handles enough food for 6-8 people. I would buy the same size again, mainly because good lump charcoal isn't cheap and I usually don't need the capacity of an XL unit. I have put butts in the kamado at 10pm and smoked them until 4pm the next day without adding more charcoal. A whole turkey fits in there easily. Big briskets...no problem. In short...I will never be without a kamado-style cooker again as long as I can grill.

Some foods we do regularly: Baby back ribs, beef brisket, smoky bbq beans, roasted chicken, grilled chicken, steaks, loins, chops, smoked and grilled meatloaf, smoked stuffed bell peppers, gourmet pizzas and flatbreads, kebabs, pineapple rings, salmon, scallops, asparagus, elote (corn), burgers, brats, sausage, smoky chili, pork butt and plenty more. I like the fact I can smoke something until it is nearly complete, then crank up the fire to 500 or more for a final sear/browning or glazing. Steaks are a piece of cake....throw them on at 600 degrees and sear each side to desired appearance. Then shut off the air supply and starve the fire. The steaks will finish cooking in all that retained heat, smoke and humidity. Poke them occasionally with an instant-read digital thermometer (can't live without one) and pull them when they hit your temp. Ours are usually 125 internal and serve up medium rare 3-5 minutes later.

Whisky

WKR
I like the fact I can smoke something until it is nearly complete, then crank up the fire to 500 or more for a final sear/browning or glazing. Steaks are a piece of cake....throw them on at 600 degrees and sear each side to desired appearance. Then shut off the air supply and starve the fire. The steaks will finish cooking in all that retained heat, smoke and humidity. Poke them occasionally with an instant-read digital thermometer (can't live without one) and pull them when they hit your temp. Ours are usually 125 internal and serve up medium rare 3-5 minutes later.

Not to be nit picky but I wouldn't suggest cooking food in a "starved fire". Lack of oxygen produces a smoldering, "dirty" fire which produces thick, white, sooty crappy smoke. Thin, blue smoke is good smoke.

Your first sentence is how I cook steaks. Reverse sear....Indirect low and slow until they hit 110IT and then a quick sear until 120-125 IT, pull and rest.

Droptine

FNG
BGE large here. Friend had one so I went to see what it was all about. I had no grill at the time and he said don't go buy a $200 grill and do that every few years, bite the bullet now and your set. I took his advice and glad I did. Buddys think I'm a grill master and ask me for tips on grilling.... I tell them it's the egg but they won't listen!

FlyGuy

WKR
Anyone here have experience with Rec Tec Grills?

I was in Augusta, GA a couple weeks ago, my company was entertaining VIP clients at the Masters. The caterer/chef was using one of these grills for everything and he raved about them. (Food was great, btw). They are built & based in Augusta by a local guy that started up a few years ago. Pretty much everyone we ran into that was a local resident raved about them, but none of us had ever heard about them prior to that.

I've been in the market for a while so these threads interest me. The Rec Tec seemed much sturdier than the treager, which has always seemed so flimsy and cheaply built to me when I see them in person. It is a pellet grill/smoker, but also gets up to very high temps for searing steaks which is important for me. I'm thinking about ordering one...

Pellet Grills & BBQ Smokers For Sale | Factory Direct | REC TEC Grills

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Nice thing about a kamado cooker (BGE, Kamado Joe, others) is their versatility while having a small footprint. Our Joe requires about the same storage space as a cheap Weber smoker-grill....and way less space than our old stainless gas grillosaurus. It lights fast and gets cooking way quicker than expected. We did a pork butt yesterday. It cooked at 215 for 15 hours on a single load of charcoal and wood. I've had it well above 650 to sear ribeyes or thick red meat. Wood fired pizza are the best, especially with an icy bottle of lager.

herd90

Lil-Rokslider
Chargiller Akorn. $150 end of year mark down Walmart. Kamado, steel. Cooks everything great and Kingsford Blue burns forever.
f2745f283adbe7c0b27475e84c0924b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk