Podcast with Todd Orr - Grizzlies, elk, knives, and backcountry hunting

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Many of you know Montana hunter, Todd Orr, was attacked by a grizzly bear in 2016. He was on my podcast last week. The last half of the podcast was mostly a discussion of grizzlies and his bad luck of encountering the same bear twice on the same trail.

Todd is one of the most accomplished elk hunters I know. Most of his 28 public land bulls have been taken with a handgun. He spends his work days and his days off in bear country. His perspective is one I pay close attention to.

You can listen live here - Google Play Music

Or download from:

iTunes - Hunt Talk Radio, Randy Newberg Unfiltered | Hunting | Conservation | Politics | Tactics by Randy Newberg: Hunter, Host of Fresh Tracks TV, Speaker, and Hunting Activist on Apple Podcasts

Stitcher - Hunt Talk Radio, Randy Newberg Unfiltered | Hunting | Conservation | Politics | Tactics | Listen via Stitcher Radio On Demand

Or, get it on your favorite podcast app.

images.jpg

Listened on my way to work this morning. Pulled into the parking lot as you got to the bear encounter. So far so good; I look forward to finishing it this afternoon.

Pro953

WKR
I really liked this episode. Mr. Orr seemed like a great guy.
I really liked how frank he was about his nervousness heading back into the backcountry after the attack. So many tough talkers it’s nice to hear from someone who spends lots of time in the backcountry discussing being nervous in some situations in bear country. Makes me feel like a bit less of a sissy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

netman

WKR
My wife and I listened to it yesterday. You should see her cringe when Mr Orr was talking about the bear attack. Especially the second round.

went to school with Todd so i have followed this story since it happened. Every time I saw anything about it published the comments under the story were always hilarious. Monday morning mountain men who have never spent a day in grizzly country always had some amazing great stories about how they would have become a superhero. It was cool to finally hear the entire story.

the fact that one of his first thoughts was to try and warn other people by leaving a note says a ton about the individual that he is.

That was a really great podcast! I’ve been telling everyone about it since I listened yesterday.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
It was a great podcast! Amazing story, makes me think about my own lack of preparedness for a possible encounter.

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I listened to it last night.... what a frightening tale... Todd survived by using his witts no doubt.... taught me a thing or two... thanks for the podcast Randy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grundy53

WKR
I really enjoyed this episode. Todd is a good story teller. Definitely a reminder to not get complacent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just listened to it while I was driving into town and back for work. What a great listen it was! The story was crazy, and Mr. Orr's attitude toward the whole thing was just refreshing to hear.

Well done Randy!