Walleye fishing in ND for OTC Elk help in Colorado

t-alby

FNG
Hey Guys, I'm new to the site and I know its early in the year, but I have to start planning for the fall. I've lived in ND all my life and I live right off lake Sakakawea. I'm not a guide, but I'm looking for a guy or group to hook up with for the fall Elk hunt. I don't need a trophy bull and I'll probably end up with an over the counter Bull tag. I just started applying in Colorado this year so I'm sure I won't draw the GMU's I applied for.

So here's the deal. I have a pretty decent boat and I fish at least 3-4 times a week at the big lake. I have room for a couple guys to come jump in the boat with me for a weekend or even a few days during the week. I'm going anyway, so your welcome to come along. I'll take care of everything, bait, lunches, food, drinks, and gas. Plus comfy beds. No $. Not a guide.

Deal is, I'm throwing down first, putting my self out there. I would just like in return maybe staying in your camp, help packing a Elk if I'm lucky enough to get one. I'm 44 and in pretty decent shape. I did a DIY elk hunt in Montana 2 years ago and did the pack out myself. Bout killed me, but I did it. I'm strong and not afraid to hike. If, and a big if is that the Pheasants around my town are down, but if we have a good hatch you could probably come up in Oct for a weekend and shoot a few birds also.

I'll clean the fish and package them so their ready to head home with.
We still have lots of Ice on the lake, but hopefully by mid may the Eyes will be snappn, but June and July are great months also.
I'm not desperate for a friend, I'm just hoping to make a friend or couple with a trade for a great Elk adventure. Maybe if everything works out this could be a lifetime gig.

I can't pm anyone yet web guys said. But if I get some responses I can give you my cell and I'll send ya a few pics from last summers walleye outings and last falls pheasant hunts. I have two springers, and the oldest is a great hunter. The new one is only 9months and I'll be training him over the summer. I understand letting someone into your hunting group is a big deal, and I don't expect warm welcomes right off the bat. But a after you get to see some of the animals I've bagged and the fish I've caught you'll know I don't fool around, I'll send you picks of my pad also so you know you won't be staying in a cardboard box. Ha Ha

I'm an honest guy and If you take this serious I'll do right by the deal.
I'm not asking for $/ just a trade of outdoors fun and excitement.

Thanks
Troy

Hey Guys, I'm new to the site and I know its early in the year, but I have to start planning for the fall. I've lived in ND all my life and I live right off lake Sakakawea. I'm not a guide, but I'm looking for a guy or group to hook up with for the fall Elk hunt. I don't need a trophy bull and I'll probably end up with an over the counter Bull tag. I just started applying in Colorado this year so I'm sure I won't draw the GMU's I applied for.

So here's the deal. I have a pretty decent boat and I fish at least 3-4 times a week at the big lake. I have room for a couple guys to come jump in the boat with me for a weekend or even a few days during the week. I'm going anyway, so your welcome to come along. I'll take care of everything, bait, lunches, food, drinks, and gas. Plus comfy beds. No $. Not a guide.

Deal is, I'm throwing down first, putting my self out there. I would just like in return maybe staying in your camp, help packing a Elk if I'm lucky enough to get one. I'm 44 and in pretty decent shape. I did a DIY elk hunt in Montana 2 years ago and did the pack out myself. Bout killed me, but I did it. I'm strong and not afraid to hike. If, and a big if is that the Pheasants around my town are down, but if we have a good hatch you could probably come up in Oct for a weekend and shoot a few birds also.

I'll clean the fish and package them so their ready to head home with.
We still have lots of Ice on the lake, but hopefully by mid may the Eyes will be snappn, but June and July are great months also.
I'm not desperate for a friend, I'm just hoping to make a friend or couple with a trade for a great Elk adventure. Maybe if everything works out this could be a lifetime gig.

I can't pm anyone yet web guys said. But if I get some responses I can give you my cell and I'll send ya a few pics from last summers walleye outings and last falls pheasant hunts. I have two springers, and the oldest is a great hunter. The new one is only 9months and I'll be training him over the summer. I understand letting someone into your hunting group is a big deal, and I don't expect warm welcomes right off the bat. But a after you get to see some of the animals I've bagged and the fish I've caught you'll know I don't fool around, I'll send you picks of my pad also so you know you won't be staying in a cardboard box. Ha Ha

I'm an honest guy and If you take this serious I'll do right by the deal.
I'm not asking for $/ just a trade of outdoors fun and excitement.

Thanks
Troy

If my dad and I don’t get drawn for muzzleloader we may be interested in your offer. We are by no means experts but always have a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I should ask what season you are thinking. If we don’t get mz tags we will hunt second season rifle otc bull tags (whichever season is end of October)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
t-alby

t-alby

FNG
I can't make archery season because I'm a teacher, and we are usually starting school at that time and my administrators are not likely to allow me time off. I appreciate the reply guys.

OP
t-alby

t-alby

FNG
That's a bummer.......it was sounding promising up to that point. I'm an archery guy and would have taken you along if I hunt my OTC area this year.

I honestly would love to archery hunt elk. My bow hunting here in ND usually consists of sitting in a blind or stand for whitetails, or I'll hit the Badlands to chase Mulies on weekends. We usually start school the 3rd week of August, when would you most likely be going. There is a chance that I could go, I would just have to get it approved over the summer.

SO my OTC Bull tag would work for Archery? I assumed I could only hunt 2nd Rifle. Take it easy on me, I'm new to the site. HaHa

OP
t-alby

t-alby

FNG
Jk on the take it easy on me, I was talking about the Colorado Big Game Proclamation I meant. Lots to learn before fall (reading and scouting).

D_Eightch

WKR
Walleye fishing in ND compared to Elk hunting in CO is a good comparison! Great populations and gets hammered by out of state residents! lol

OP
t-alby

t-alby

FNG
Walleye fishing in ND compared to Elk hunting in CO is a good comparison! Great populations and gets hammered by out of state residents! lol

Wow, I'm assuming that was a major slap. From a fellow North Dakotan. I guess Colorado Outdoor sites are Just like ND ones. I never asked to get walked up to an Elk. I never asked for food or lodging or pack out or skinning, or anything other than just to tag along in a general area. I know that from who I am, where I live and, and how I fish, whoever would want to take such a lopsided deal I guess would catch fish. D must not read well if he thinks I want a full blown guided Elk hunt? Maybe I read that wrong, IDK
Yes, we do have a lot of people show up here to fish, but I'm right on the lake and fish most days of the week. If you want I'll send pics of my fishing days, and they are pretty impressive for a small town local guy. So if others of you are reading this think D knows what he's talking about, I guess I'm way off base with this offer.
Thanks D
Nice to meet you

3forks

WKR
Wow, I'm assuming that was a major slap. From a fellow North Dakotan. I guess Colorado Outdoor sites are Just like ND ones. I never asked to get walked up to an Elk. I never asked for food or lodging or pack out or skinning, or anything other than just to tag along in a general area. I know that from who I am, where I live and, and how I fish, whoever would want to take such a lopsided deal I guess would catch fish. D must not read well if he thinks I want a full blown guided Elk hunt? Maybe I read that wrong, IDK
Yes, we do have a lot of people show up here to fish, but I'm right on the lake and fish most days of the week. If you want I'll send pics of my fishing days, and they are pretty impressive for a small town local guy. So if others of you are reading this think D knows what he's talking about, I guess I'm way off base with this offer.
Thanks D
Nice to meet you

I wouldn't sweat it, and I'm not sure if you should be offended by D_Eightch's comment.

I cringe every time I see a post opening with "looking for advice, but not your honey hole"...

Most people don't even blush when they ask for advice online, and I'm surprised they expect people to chime in with information that would potentially add more competition in a unit. At least you offered something in advance as a show of good faith to learn something about Colorado elk hunting.

D_Eightch

WKR
Thanks D
Nice to meet you

No no no, don't take what I said the wrong way. I was just being a smart ass relating them to each other, both places are great destinations for said species.

I think your offer is awesome and would be a good deal for anybody, I've had people ask if I would bring them pheasant hunting in return for fishing trips and the like. Nothing wrong with that and I think it's awesome if people can get together and work out a deal that makes both parties happy. Great way to meet people.

Sorry it came across as a backhanded comment

cnelk

WKR
30 years ago next month I left Lake of the Woods MN and its walleye fishing and moved to Colorado for the elk hunting.
Since then, I use my same walleye tactics in Colorado and do quite well catching them and hunting OTC units for elk.

Its been my experience that there is nothing more secretive than an OTC elk hunter [a walleye fisherman may be a distant second] :)

I had a new guy join my elk camp last year, and it took over 2 years of 'vetting' him before I made it happen.

I wish you best of luck in your quest - PS - Moving to Colorado is always an option :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
SO my OTC Bull tag would work for Archery? I assumed I could only hunt 2nd Rifle. Take it easy on me, I'm new to the site. HaHa

You have to choose. You can have an OTC either sex archery tag, or you can have an OTC rifle bull tag.......but not both. On the other hand you can have an OTC archery cow tag for some units, and an OTC bull tag for 2nd or 3rd rifle.

I haven't fished for walleye in quite some time. That would be fun. And your elk hunt would essentially be fully outfitted and guided if you went with me.......free of charge. My problem is......I rarely know for sure what my season will look like until the last minute. I apply in NM, and also for moose, sheep, and goat in CO which can throw a wrench into plans if and when I draw. I also have a buddy that might draw his ML tag this year, and I'll definitely be his caller for that one. So most likely would be the last week of the season for archery, unless I draw a NM tag, or pick up a leftover/reissue tag.

So it's hard to nail down a definitive answer until it's real close.

OP
t-alby

t-alby

FNG
You have to choose. You can have an OTC either sex archery tag, or you can have an OTC rifle bull tag.......but not both. On the other hand you can have an OTC archery cow tag for some units, and an OTC bull tag for 2nd or 3rd rifle.

I haven't fished for walleye in quite some time. That would be fun. And your elk hunt would essentially be fully outfitted and guided if you went with me.......free of charge. My problem is......I rarely know for sure what my season will look like until the last minute. I apply in NM, and also for moose, sheep, and goat in CO which can throw a wrench into plans if and when I draw. I also have a buddy that might draw his ML tag this year, and I'll definitely be his caller for that one. So most likely would be the last week of the season for archery, unless I draw a NM tag, or pick up a leftover/reissue tag.

So it's hard to nail down a definitive answer until it's real close.

Thanks guys for all the info and responses. I would never ask for something without giving something in return. If anyone is truly interested in this deal, you can reach me at [email protected]
I most likely will be coming to Colorado over the summer to scout camping and hunting areas. If you wanna meet up and visit, that would be cool. I'll be dropping my wife off at a friends in Denver and I'll be going it alone for 4-5 days. It should be a great summer for walleye with the big lake having major snow run off. I can send picks of my fishing and hunting to let you know I have proof that I don't fool around when it comes to the outdoors. But have lots of fun!
Thanks, probably my last post
Alby

NDGuy

WKR

I icefish my walleye spots with a white snowsuit on lol