Replacing gps with phone?

I carried the stand alone last year as a backup, and used my phone with OnX the whole time. Much better options and maps and all that. For power I took the Anker power block to charge the phone at night, and used a solar power charger left in camp plugged into that block during the day to charge the block. The combo worked great, charged by my phone and my wife's phone.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Just sold my Garmin Oregon after not using it for two years. The cell phone with OnXmaps and a portable power pack have served me well and lightened the load. Bigger more useful screen and it doesn't burn much battery as long as you download maps before hand and keep it on airplane mode.

Trial153

WKR
phone here. onx and Gaia ...also earthmate paired with my inreach which never comes out of the pack.I guess i have redundancy as my inreach is ok for basic navigation use as well.
My phone in addition to beinging used as my gps ..works as phone, a camera ect ect.

I dont miss a Dedicated GPS at all.

Beendare

WKR
Sold my GPS too...and my onX chips......I still have the Onx Alaska chips [$60 OBO] still in the packaging.....if someone wants it PM me listed over on AT

Titan

WKR
I think any of them will do that, but at the cost of battery life. Gaia used to suck up battery since the phone was always searching for signal, but now you can run it in airplane mode and still use the GPS.

Brendan

WKR
Gaia does it pretty well, but it does use battery that way. The only time I use it is when I'm actively trying to record a trail, path, or road which I do a bunch and then export out to Google Earth as a track.

Most of the time out hunting I have it shut down so it's only active when I'm actively looking at the screen to navigate.