Replacing gps with phone?

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
I’d really like to leave the gps at home and just use my phone. Will I need a charger for a 7 day hunt? Just a power pack? This area is fairly simple to navigate, there’s a few big peaks to keep you from getting twisted up. My gps always gives me an extra level of comfort... thoughts or advise appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishhead

FNG
I stopped using my stand alone gps 3 years ago. I only use my phone now (lg V20). Picks up satellites great. With the right app (I use US Topo maps) i get topo maps and arial photos. Be sure to bring extra power... Everyone thinks you need cell coverage but you cache maps before you go and keep your phone on airplane mode. You only keep the gps on and only when you need it. You would be surprised at how long your battery will last.

wildcat33

WKR
I just take my phone and an anker powercore Slim II (10,000 mah) and Im good to go for a week. I too only rarely use my phone. Turn it on to take some pics, maybe nav through some tough terrain, then back off.

LostArra

WKR
I wouldn’t trust my iPhone GPS to get me across the street unless you have the latest and greatest phone model Apple has decided you need. . Apple is not user friendly about compatibility of IOS updates to phones that are a step behind where they would like you to be. After their battery scam I now count on my phone to make calls and text message. Period. I don’t need a skinny jeans Genius to tell me he can “fix” my GPS issue by me buying a new phone whenever Apple tells me to. My old Etrex will still get me back to camp if I need it.

Samsung and backcountry navigator are awesome. It's now a yearly purchase for the app but worth it.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Its been quite a few years since I took a GPS with me and I feel more confident now with my navigation than I did with a GPS in hand. I currently use my Samsung Note 5 for GPS/Mapping(Backcountry Navigator), Pictures, and paired to my sat messenger to text the wife and kids. I also picked up an Anker power core 20100 that will charge my phone 5 times from 25% giving me a week of battery with frequent use. The next step is to take the Bluetooth headphones and some podcasts to listen to while solo hunting! My hunting buddy uses his Iphone with Onx maps and while he doesn't like the new updates to OnX it seems to work just as good as mine as far as navigation is concerned.

oldgoat

WKR
Haven't used a regular GPS since 2011 I think. There are some pitfalls to it that are addressed by the new Backcountry Navigator platform that's on subscription basis. It's a cloud based system now so you won't lose your waypoints every time you upgrade phones. There ease of use and size of the screen on my phone is so much very better than any GPS I've used. I bought an Oregon last year thinking I'd give it a try, sent it back real quick, sucked the batteries dry really quick and the maps weren't as good. I think you can still try Backcountry Navigator for free.

OP
L

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. I guess my next decision will be choosing an app: onX, Gaia, backcountry... I see there’s a current thread about onX. I’m in the same boat where I only need 2 states per year and 100 seems high.

I've run GAIA (the cheap $20 version from 2015) on an iPhone 5 and 7. Works like a charm from the NWT and Nunavut down to AZ on the Mexican border. Haven't had a GPS since the Garmin Oregon 450 with the BC backroads maps ($400 or more) suffered a broken screen...don't even know how. Never will run a Garmin GPS again either as I have 5 broken ones. Never broke an iPhone and they get carried every day all year.

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t trust my iPhone GPS to get me across the street unless you have the latest and greatest phone model Apple has decided you need. . Apple is not user friendly about compatibility of IOS updates to phones that are a step behind where they would like you to be. After their battery scam I now count on my phone to make calls and text message. Period. I don’t need a skinny jeans Genius to tell me he can “fix” my GPS issue by me buying a new phone whenever Apple tells me to. My old Etrex will still get me back to camp if I need it.

My iPhone shuts off after a few minutes of being cold. 100% would not rely on it, even to cross the street

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind you will need to download maps to your phone to view without data service. This can take some serious memory so make sure your phone can handle it. I have onX, but have also not been happy with the map updates. If it does not improve by end of subscription, I will not be renewing.

I also use the avenza app with flatline maps.

I still carry my rhino for communication, thing just won’t die.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider

I have been using a iphone 6 for the past two years with no problem with Gaia for topographic maps and Avenza for the forest service route maps. Start out the day with a full charge and use the GPS and camera and will still have 85% battery at the end of the day. We were going back to trucks every night. This year we will be in a drop camp and will need to be able to recharge. Son has a solar panel charger and we both have small battery packs that you can jump start a car with. We will have to test out those battery packs.

Gaia is easy to manage waypoints. Spot some animals, plot them on the map for further reference. Shoot an animal, plot the spot to help you find it easier.

LostArra

WKR
I have been using a iphone 6 for the past two years with no problem with Gaia for topographic maps and Avenza for the forest service route maps. Start out the day with a full charge and use the GPS and camera and will still have 85% battery at the end of the day. We were going back to trucks every night. This year we will be in a drop camp and will need to be able to recharge. Son has a solar panel charger and we both have small battery packs that you can jump start a car with. We will have to test out those battery packs.

Gaia is easy to manage waypoints. Spot some animals, plot them on the map for further reference. Shoot an animal, plot the spot to help you find it easier.

my iphone can barely place me in the correct county regardless of app

PredatorX

WKR
Backcountry Navigator and an android phone with removable batteries are hard to beat. Getting tough to find phones with removable batteries tough.

fatbacks

WKR
Gaia has worked great for the past few years all over Alaska. Trust it for navigating rivers on a jet boat and for 10 day sheep hunts.

I use a small goal zero battery and solar charger to keep power going.

OP
L

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
I see in Gaia there are several different maps you can choose from. I’m sure I’ll use the sat map a lot. What is your go to map for navigation? What is the best topo map for showing public/private?

Brendan

WKR
I see in Gaia there are several different maps you can choose from. I’m sure I’ll use the sat map a lot. What is your go to map for navigation? What is the best topo map for showing public/private?

Public/Private and then Land Ownership are overlays that work with whichever topo or sat map you choose.

530Chukar

WKR
I was nervous about losing the GPS but did it this year in Colorado at a place I’ve never hunted. I used the Garmin Earthmate app in combination with the inReach. The inReach does not have to be on to use it. I was very happy with it. I bring and Anker powerpack and keep them all charged up over a week easily. My only use for the GPS now is as a tracking system for the dog while out running or chukar hunting.

Titan

WKR
Been using GAIA on iphones for quite a while now. Picked it up when it was only $5 or so. It has outperformed any standalone GPS unit that I have played with for sure.

AdamW

WKR
I'm still using an iphone 5S and with OnX I've had no issues, knock on wood. I'm also a redundancy guy when it comes to something as important as knowing where I am if I get turned around. I've seen people compare their iphone giving them directions to some place in town/city via the maps app to what they expect from OnX etc. and that's not even a close parallel.