New Android Phones

elkyinzer

WKR
My Galaxy S6 passed on last night. I need a new phone by the weekend and I am not a techie by any means. I know very little about what's on the market. Help! #millenialthathatesthisshit

Criteria:
Android OS
Water resistant basically as bombproof as possible
Rear camera as good or better than S6
Anticipate keeping it at least 3 years
Better battery life preferred
No real budget, willing to spend for better tech that meets my criteria but absolutely not for the sake of having the cool new latest and greatest (probably ruling out the S9)

Questions:
Not stuck to Samsung but its my comfort zone. Any other brands I really need to consider? No Apple btdt.

Leaning toward the S7 but reading that software updates could stop soon? Does that make the phone useless? Vulnerable to viruses? Why on earth would they still sell a phone if they aren't going to support it for a few years? Any workarounds a tech dummy can figure out?

How do the curved screens of the S7 and S8 work? Why is that necessary? How does one get a screen protector on them?

What was the deal with Samsungs batteries blowing up in planes? I assume that has been rectified?

Thanks!

colonel00

WKR
Might as well just jump to the S9 or S9+ unless there's a reason you want an older device. You said budget wasn't really an issue.

Regarding the S7, I had the S7 Edge and now have just the S7. The edge was a little "better" with a slightly larger screen and bigger battery. However, I wasn't a fan of the "Edge" screen. Without a case, my fingers were always on the sides of the screen causing accidental taps.

FWIW, you can pick up an S7 on Ebay for under $200 and then trade it in for $350 towards an S9.

jm1607

WKR
S8 or S9 Active? AT&T only though.. I have the S8 Active, it's about as bombproof as possible nowadays.. No curved screen crap..

Not sure about the S7 software thing.. Maybe no more firmware updates? I thought the android OS was universal? Could be wrong but doesn't make sense to me.. S7 is pretty new too, too soon to discontinue support IMO??

Ya, they fixed the battery thing..

Last edited:

nrh6.7

WKR
It looks like the S7 phones will not only continue to get upgrades, but they should also get Android 8.0 Oreo, which is the newest OS.

I picked up an S7 Active about six months ago because I wanted something new-ish but wasn't paying the premium of the latest release. I like the active for the larger battery and durability.

Plus, since AT&T stopped subsidizing the cost of the phones, I'm not quite over having to either cough up 2-3 times what I used to pay or add an additional $30-35/month to my bill.

If I were in your shoes, based on your criteria, I would pick up an S8 at a discount now that the S9's have been released. That'll get you a new phone that should last three years, and at a lesser price.

OP
elkyinzer

elkyinzer

WKR
Thanks, yeah the S7 software thing is so confusing to me and the biggest hurdle right now. If I can get reliable info that an S7 will work for a few years I think I'll go that route. I don't need the latest and greatest and saving a couple hundred bucks is always good.

The active looks cool but I'm tied to Verizon.

Complicated transactions are out of the question I need something working by Thursday. Never good when phone craps the bed while wife is on baby watch and you have weekend fishing plans.

Brendan

WKR
Cracked the screen on my S8 Fast. Get a case for anything with a curved screen. I bought my S8 in almost new condition for about $400 without going through a contract extension / upgrade with Verizon.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
I have had an S7 edge for about 18 months, running onx and game cam apps fine. Will probably upgrade to the s9 soon but I have had no issues with my s7, had the s6 edge before that, s5 before that, s4 etc......

I was in the same position late last summer when an update killed my Samsung. I did just a little research and was not too thrilled with some of the new Samsung stuff. Coincidentally, it was the same week the Motorola Moto Z2 Force was released. I had Motorola on my short list already and decided to go that way. There is less bloat than my Samsung had (but still a lot more crap than I want or use) and the antenna and battery do seem better in my use. I liked the option of the add on battery although I have not used one yet. I have run 4 days in the back country with one charge while using Bluetooth and the InReach map app. Been happy with the camera too. The pic management is Google connected but I run without using the Google part, no problem.

I can't speak to the latest Samsung, and I only carry a smart phone because the rest of the world wants me to, but I have been satisfied with the Motorola since last August.

jmez

WKR
I'd look at the Motorola. The battery life is as advertised. I've had mine four years and it will still hold a charge for 48 hours. That is with normal talking and texting. I don't use it much for the internet. If I'm on the internet much I'll get about 36 hours per charge. They say it will stream data for 24 hours straight on a single charge. It also comes with a turbo charger that will charge a dead battery to 80% in 15 minutes.

In the back country I leave it turned off except to check messages a couple times a day. It uses about half of a full charge on a 10 day hunt doing that.

They are a tough phone, I'm not nice to mine and haven't broken it yet. They have a screen guarantee, you break the screen they replace the phone.

I'm kind of like you in that I'm not techie at all. The phone is simple to use and it always works. I've had 0 issues in four years.

oldgoat

WKR
Check out the Motorola with the available Moto Mods, I bought the External Moto Mods Battery pack, adds 80% battery usage and makes the phone easier to hold on too.

Luked

WKR
I have a S7. got it when it first came out because my S6 fried internally and wiped it out.
I have had 0 problems with my S7 and really like it.

OP
elkyinzer

elkyinzer

WKR
I truly appreciate all the advice. Looked hard at the Motorolas but ordered an S8. Hopefully the curved screen doesn't drive me nuts.

I feel violated. Good lord I hate parting with that much cash over some gadget that my modern lifestyle basically imposes on me. At least I'll probably find out tomorrow I'll be getting a New Mexican refund to pay for it. Or not, that would be awesome.

Mt Al

WKR
My Galaxy S6 passed on last night.

I'm sorry for your loss: thoughts and prayers to your family, it's never easy to lose something that's so close!

I'm like a few others above: went Motorola Moto Z. The battery life is killer. Haven't bought the add-on battery but will this fall. Not crazy about the camera but it's me, not the camera. Some pics look like the lens is covered in snot, others look like I'm a long time pro with an 800mm lens.

I can't compare the Moto Z to anything else, so please take my comments in context.

ghost338

FNG
Perhaps more phone than you're looking for, but the new Google Pixel 2 or 2 XL are solid phones. Raw Android experience, works on Verizon, and more than powerful enough to run the apps you need.

I truly appreciate all the advice. Looked hard at the Motorolas but ordered an S8. Hopefully the curved screen doesn't drive me nuts.

I feel violated. Good lord I hate parting with that much cash over some gadget that my modern lifestyle basically imposes on me. At least I'll probably find out tomorrow I'll be getting a New Mexican refund to pay for it. Or not, that would be awesome.

I have an S6 and the wife an S8 Edge. Hers is noticeably better and the curved screen is a non issue.

And she's drop tested on the corner with a case on it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Work provides me a curved screen s7 edge in an otter box case. It’s been very durable and the curve can be an issue while typing if the character is on the bend, although I believe the plastic cover is mostly to blame.

Fatcamp

WKR
I have a Kyocera Duraforce Pro. Bomb-proof.

I break phones. Had this one over a year.

Camera sucks. Heavy as a brick. GPS works.